New Stage in US-Russia "Sanctions War"
On February 27, the Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin declared that Trump’s administration will introduce new sanctions against Russia in the upcoming 30 days. The "necessity" of new sanctions against Russia derived from the last summer, when the US Congress almost unanimously adopted the law, which presupposes new sanctions against Russia for its intervention in the last presidential elections as well as for the US actions in Ukraine.
The law assumes that the US should use sanctions against the governments of those countries and companies that will cooperate with the US in the military or intelligence spheres. Besides, the law defines that the US government should release the list of persons, the so-called "Kremlin list", which will contain the names of influential persons who have connections with Kremlin. The list was released by the US Treasury Department at the beginning of this year.
Although the law came into force at the beginning of the year, Trump’s administration did not hurry until recently to introduce new sanctions against Russia. It caused a new wave of criticism against Trump, who was blamed for his continuous mild policy towards Russia. In its turn Trump’s team insisted that the legal force of the law is already a deterring factor for those, who want to have a deal with Russia, and there is no need for new sanctions.
According to the US State Department sources, the threat of the US possible sanction has already worth 3-billion-dollar loss for Moscow. According to the same source, a number of "big countries" have already reconsidered their military purchases from Russia after the US published the list of intelligence and military companies, which can be targeted by the US possible sanction. To note, among the so-called big countries, the name of Turkey is often voiced, which has an agreement with Russia to obtain S-400 anti-missile systems.
To sum up we can state that despite the ambiguous stance of Trump team on the issue, judging from the US official statements, the possibility of new sanctions against Russia is rather high. Moreover, taking into consideration the fact that by that time the US presidential elections will be over, and the main favorite, the incumbent president V. Putin will be re-elected, the possibility is rather high that the latter will also turn to retaliatory rough actions, which will increase the tension.
As long as there is possibility for the indirect impact of this "sanction war" on Armenia, we need to be more active to prevent and minimize the possible challenges we can face.
- Trump Plans July Meeting With Vladimir Putin President Donald Trump is planning to meet with Vladimir Putin, the president of Russia, during Trump’s visit to Europe next month.
- US Withdraws from UN Human Rights Council Haley, Trump’s envoy to the U.N., lambasted the council for “its chronic bias against Israel” and lamented the fact that its membership includes accused human rights abusers such as China, Cuba,...
- Trump’s Approval Rating Hits Highest Point in Presidency The new Gallup poll specified that 90 percent of those who approved of Trump's performance were Republicans.
- Californians to Vote on Splitting State Three Ways The proposal by venture capitalist, Tim Draper to break up California in a campaign called "Cal 3," received more than 402,468 valid signatures -- surpassing the amount required by state law.
- The Trump Habit that Drives Staff Crazy However, the Presidential Records Act requires the White House to preserve many documents the president touches, sending them to the National Archives as a historical record.
- Nikol Pashinyan Received US Ambassador to Armenia "The US government is committed to assisting the goals on democracy, human rights, transparency and accountability that will improve Armenia’s business environment and will make the country more attractive...
- United States is Ready to Co-operate With the New Government of Armenia ''As a partner and the friendly country of Armenia, the US always encouraged constructive dialogue overcome the political impasse'', State Department Spokesperson noted.
- Richard Mills: A Way to Democracy Is Not Electing Prime Minister's Candidate on the Streets During the discussion Ambassador Mills once again reaffirmed the US government's stance and stressed that all the processes should take place according to the Constitution. He added that there is no alternative...
- Glendale City Council Approves the Idea of Creating Armenian American Museum Museum representatives presented their vision for a three-story, 59 800 square-foot cultural and educational complex that would be located in the southwest corner of Central Park.
- Why Is US-Armenia Parliamentary Cooperation Important at This Stage? Such a format of cooperation is itself important as long as it is not limited to only ruling parties, but also creates new opportunities for cooperation among the US main two political parties and RA parliamentary...
OSCE Is Eager to Step Up its Links with Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan: Permanent Representatives Return from Fruitful Trip
Bako Sahakyan Visited the Town of Karvachar
Serzh Sargsyan Sent a Congratulatory Message to Armen Sarkissian on Birthday Anniversary
The first soldier to be awarded the Victoria Cross (VC) by Queen Elizabeth II, has died aged 90
US and South Korea suspend more joint military exercises
Commemoration of Sts. Tiridates, King of Armenia, Queen Ashkhen and Princess Khosrovidoukht
Azerbaijan, in Fact, Refuses Any Negotiation, Threatening by War
Appointment of The Ambassador is Very Important for Armenia-Ukraine Relations: Head of the Armenia-Ukraine Friendship Group
EU Tariffs on US Products Come into Effect
Trump Extends Sanctions Against North Korea for Another Year
EU Լeaders to Prolong Sanctions against Russia
Armenia assumes PABSEC presidency
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Mamuka Bakhtadze on His Election as Prime Minister of Georgia
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Has His First Meeting with Azerbaijani FM
Donald Trump "Threw Starbursts at Angela Merkel" During G7 Summit
Nikol Pashinyan Receives Armenia Air Company President Tamaz Gayashvili
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Joint Press Statement Following the First Partnership Council Meeting between the European Union and Armenia
Oil Prices Drop as Iran Signals Support for Opec Output Rise
Trump Plans July Meeting With Vladimir Putin
Nikol Pashinyan to Resign During a Year
Prime Minister Pashinyan Attends Gala Concert Dedicated to World Foot Championship in Red Square (PHOTOS)
It’s Already Two Months Azerbaijan Has Accumulated Troops in Different Parts of the Contact Line, Davit Babayan
Alexander Lapshin Claims Azerbaijan Might Be Behind the Death of Anthony Bourdain for Artsakh Episode
Newlywed Foreigners Apply for Artsakh Visa with Bride Wearing a Wedding Dress
Supporters of the Armenian Genocide in Turkey Received Documentary Evidence from the Prosecutor's Office of Istanbul
The Issue of Recognition of the Armenian Genocide is a Tool in Turkish-Israeli Relations: Armen Petrosyan
Nikol Pashinyan Visits Prelacy of Holy Transformation Church of Russia and New Nakhichevan Diocese (PHOTOS)
''Armenian-Russian Relations are Developing Steadily and Dynamically'' - Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Dmitry Medvedev
Nikol Pashinyan Attends in Tbilisi the Reception Dedicated to 100th Anniversary of First Armenian Republic
Wind: 17.70 km/h