New Stage in US-Russia "Sanctions War"
On February 27, the Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin declared that Trump’s administration will introduce new sanctions against Russia in the upcoming 30 days. The "necessity" of new sanctions against Russia derived from the last summer, when the US Congress almost unanimously adopted the law, which presupposes new sanctions against Russia for its intervention in the last presidential elections as well as for the US actions in Ukraine.
The law assumes that the US should use sanctions against the governments of those countries and companies that will cooperate with the US in the military or intelligence spheres. Besides, the law defines that the US government should release the list of persons, the so-called "Kremlin list", which will contain the names of influential persons who have connections with Kremlin. The list was released by the US Treasury Department at the beginning of this year.
Although the law came into force at the beginning of the year, Trump’s administration did not hurry until recently to introduce new sanctions against Russia. It caused a new wave of criticism against Trump, who was blamed for his continuous mild policy towards Russia. In its turn Trump’s team insisted that the legal force of the law is already a deterring factor for those, who want to have a deal with Russia, and there is no need for new sanctions.
According to the US State Department sources, the threat of the US possible sanction has already worth 3-billion-dollar loss for Moscow. According to the same source, a number of "big countries" have already reconsidered their military purchases from Russia after the US published the list of intelligence and military companies, which can be targeted by the US possible sanction. To note, among the so-called big countries, the name of Turkey is often voiced, which has an agreement with Russia to obtain S-400 anti-missile systems.
To sum up we can state that despite the ambiguous stance of Trump team on the issue, judging from the US official statements, the possibility of new sanctions against Russia is rather high. Moreover, taking into consideration the fact that by that time the US presidential elections will be over, and the main favorite, the incumbent president V. Putin will be re-elected, the possibility is rather high that the latter will also turn to retaliatory rough actions, which will increase the tension.
As long as there is possibility for the indirect impact of this "sanction war" on Armenia, we need to be more active to prevent and minimize the possible challenges we can face.
- Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary? In this context it is interesting that his most favorite book is Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, which depicts "a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome...
- NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington The meetings addressed diverse issues related to the Artsakh domestic and foreign policy, the Artsakh-Diaspora cooperation, developing and deepening the USA-Artsakh ties.
- Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order Bako Sahakyan also recognized the important role of the U.S. Armenian organisations in international recognition of Artsakh and making our country recognizable worldwide.
- Washington: Bako Sahakyan Visited the Headquarters of ANCA President Sahakyan highlighted the ANCA's activity in solving various national issues conveying gratitude for constantly keeping the Artsakh-related issues in the spotlight of attention.
- NKR President Bako Sahakyan Made a Speech at the US Congress The President accentuated Washington's considerable contribution in maintaining peace and stability in our region, in peaceful and just solution of the Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict.
- Why Is US-Armenia Parliamentary Cooperation Important at This Stage? Such a format of cooperation is itself important as long as it is not limited to only ruling parties, but also creates new opportunities for cooperation among the US main two political parties and RA parliamentary...
- Armenian MPs have Meetings at White House, Congress in Washington D.C. During the meeting the Armenian MPs presented to the White House official several issues concerning regional security, namely they stressed the need for more targeted statements regarding ceasefire violations...
- US Ambassador: We Have Common Interests In the course of the meeting the members of the Friendship Group also emphasized the stable development of the Armenian-American relations and the deepening of cooperation in many spheres.
- US Congressmen Will Request US Secretary of the Treasury on Stopping Double Taxation with Armenia Bipartisan Letter Requests that Secretary Mnuchin Negotiate Double Tax Treaty with Armenia.
- Catholicos of All Armenians departs for US His Holiness Garegin II will have meetings with the philanthropists of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin to discuss numerous programs being implemented by the Mother See.
EU to Keep Pressure on North Korea over its Nuclear Program
The New Structure of Eastern Partnership: What are The Main Priorities Today
50 Million Facebook Users Data Harvested for Trump Election Campaign
Dollar Continues to Decline in Armenia
OSCE: Russia's Presidential Election was Marred by Lack of Genuine Competition
NATO Will Move to New Headquarters
The Silence of the International Community on Aliyev's Statements May Lead to Irreversible Consequences
Second Artsakh Airfest Will Be Held on June 16
Diogo Pinto Resigns as Director of European Friends of Armenia
Delegation of Senate of Poland Pays Tribute in Tsitsernakaberd Memorial Complex
The Absence of a Proper International response to the Territorial Claims of Aliyev Inspired Him to Demand More
Serzh Sargsyan Had a Telephone Conversation with Vladimir Putin
Artsakh President Congratulated President of Russia
Turkey Banned Screening of Armenian-Iranian movie ''Yeva'' Due to Azerbaijan
Ashotyan: RA Parliament Will Ratify the RA-EU Agreement in April
The UK and the EU Agreed on a "Large Part" of the Brexit Deal
New Caledonia to Hold Vote on Independence from France in November
Henrikh Mkhitaryan Donated His Car to the Homeland Defender's Rehabilitation Center
CSKA Moscow Manager: ''We Will Make Maximum Efforts to Neutralize Henrikh Mkhitaryan''
France Urges the EU to Consider New Sanctions on Iran
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Armenian President Schools Azeri Diplomat on History at Munich Security Conference
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Lapshin Showed the Difference in the Education of Armenian and Azerbaijani Children (VIDEO)
Wind: 11.27 km/h