Macron, Scholz and Draghi arrive in Kyiv for Historic Visit
French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi arrived in Kyiv on Thursday for their first visit to Ukraine since the Russian invasion, a day after the United States announced 1 billion dollars worth of new arms for embattled Ukrainian forces, Le Monde reports. Their first also comes as Kyiv is pushing for membership of the EU.
The leaders arrived on a special train from Poland, with AFP images showing them descending onto a platform in the Ukrainian capital. Mr. Macron said they will meet President Volodymyr Zelensky and go to "a war site where massacres have been committed." The French leader has called alleged Russian atrocities in towns near Kyiv "war crimes." "This is a message of European unity addressed to Ukrainian men and women, of support," Mr. Macron said as he descended from the train.
He said he came "to talk about both the present and the future since the coming weeks, we know, will be very difficult." The visit comes as Ukraine is pushing to be given official candidate status to join the European Union.
The trio had traveled onboard a special train that left Poland in the early hours of Thursday. German media said they had met "in the night" in Poland's south-eastern city of Rzeszow, which has an international airport. They arrived separately and met on board shortly after the train's departure. The French leader had just finished a visit to Moldova, one of Ukraine's neighbors. Romanian leader Klaus Iohannis is due to join his French, German and Italian counterparts in Kyiv later on Thursday.
- EU Prolongs Sanctions against Russia for One Year On June 11, ambassadors of EU member states agreed to prolong restrictive measures against Russia on Crimea. The decision is formalized by a "written procedure" without discussion.
- Ukrainian President Zelensky Extends Ban on Russian Social Networks Sanctions were imposed on several TV channels and Internet companies, including 1C, ABBYY and their Ukrainian subsidiaries. In addition, Russia’s VKontakte and Odnoklassniki social networks, Mail.ru...
- Zelensky Calls Extra NSDC Meeting On Situation In Donbas President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky has called a meeting of the National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) to decide on Ukraine’s further steps following the enemy attack on the positions of the...
- Next Normandy Summit to be Held in Four Months, Macron Says "We are confident that this work on restoring peace and trust is very important," he stressed. Macron noted the significance of the discussion that "has finally been held seriously in the last three years.".
- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Says Normandy Summit's Draft Document "Not Very Ambitious" "To tell you the truth, the document is not very ambitious, but rather very cautious. At the moment, the document envisages emphasizing the achivements," the Evropeyskaya Pravada newspaper quoted Pristayko...
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 2.57 km/h