The New Draft Constitution Provides a Solid Basis for the Democratic Development of Artsakh: German Professor
The campaign on Constitutional reforms in Nagorno-Karabakh Republic is actively going on. For unrecognized states the correspondence of the processes taking place in the country to international legal standards is very important. With the request of "Armedia" IAA’s partner NGO "Euroepan Integration" the Professor of the University of Hamburg Dr. Otto Luchterhandt gave an expert opinion on the new graft of NKR Constitution.
The latter highly praised the draft of the Constitutional reforms of NKR highlighting the importance of the existence of the balance of the branches of powers in it.
"As for the relations between the president and the parliament one can have the following expectation: the relatively strong position of the National Assembly will urge the president not to seek confrontation with the parliament, but rather will force him seek consensus with the National Assembly and compromise on contentious issues," the German professor said.
Professor Luchterhandt especially stressed the importance of the fact that despite passing from semi-presidential system to the presidential one, the draft grants quite strong position to the legislative body. "It creates an institutional counterbalance, which strengthens the principle of the division of power." It is stressed that taking into consideration the small number of the deputies (33), the political weight of each deputy in the Parliament raises.
The importance of granting legislative powers to the civil society is particularly emphasized. "The regulation of Part 2 of Article 122 is a praising one, as it gives a relatively small number of civilians (2.5 percent), but a very active one, who have the right to vote, to present a draft bill to the National Assembly," the expert mentioned.
In the context of the separation of the branches of powers, it is noted that the project satisfies the requirement of independence of the judiciary.
Referring to the suggestion of passing to presidential system of governance, the professor considered all the factors that will have a decisive role and concluded that for ensuring the security of Artsakh people passing to the presidential system is justified.
As a drawback in the draft Constitution, he mentioned the small number of the members of the Supreme Court of Appeals – 5 people. He noted that the absence of one of the judges could disrupt the activities of the Council, and proposed to increase the number of Council members or form a reserve staff.
"The draft provides a good and strong basis for the development of Artsakh Republic, its state institutions and the civil society, for the development of democracy based on law. With the adoption of the Constitutional reforms during the referendum, Artsakh people will create a solid basis for the justified demand of its international recognition," Luchterhandt concluded.
- Arayik Harutyunyan Visited Festive Event On The Occasion Of The Artsakh Republic Proclamation On 8 September Artsakh Republic President Arayik Harutyunyan visited the town of Shoushi and partook in the festive event organized by the "Azat Hayreniq" party on the occasion of the Artsakh Republic...
- One New Case Of The Coronavirus Has Been Registered In Artsakh The Ministry of Health of the Republic of Artsakh informed that one new case of the coronavirus has been registered in Artsakh, but seven more persons have recovered, Information Headquarters reported.
- Artsakh President Awards The Authers Of The Stepanakert Aater Supply System Project The President of Artsakh Republic Arayik Haroutyunyan on Monday received a group of construction engineers and persons in charge on the eve of Artsakh Republic Day
- President of Artsakh Handed in Awards to a Group of Construction Sphere Representatives For the contribution to the sphere and in connection with the professional holiday the republic's President handed in awards and valuable gifts to a group of Artsakh Republic Municipal Engineering Ministry...
- President of Artsakh Signed a Decree On 21 July President Arayik Harutyunyan signed a decree on appointing Armen Sargsyan advisor to the Artsakh Republic President on education, science, culture, youth and sports.
Syunik Governor Hunan Poghosyan Resigns
Artsakh President: Over 600 Bodies Retrieved from Conflict Zone
Ameriabank Successfully Placed Its First Ever Green Bond
Prime Minister Holds Meeting with Judiciary
President Sarkissian Sends a Letter to Putin
Oil Prices Fall as OPEC+ Members Debate 2021 Output Policy
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Coronavirus Pandemic Unlikely to End Soon, WHO Official Says
Lt. General Jalal Harutyunyan Recovers Normally, to Be Discharged from Hospital Soon
France Wins 18th Junior Eurovision Song Contest
More Than 55,000 Residents of Artsakh Already Back Home – Government Says
Armenia Records 135124 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Kim Kardashian on New Initiative for Children of Artsakh
Masis Mayilian Met with Minister of Defence of the Republic of Armenia
1,174 New Cases of COVID-19 Confirmed in Armenia
Russian Military Doctors Arrive in Karabakh to Help Civilians
Armenia: Drivers are Recommended to Drive Exclusively on Winter Tires
President Armen Sarkissian Left on a Private Visit to the Russian Federation
We Have Always Felt the Support of Friendly France - PM Receives French Humanitarian Mission Delegation
4 Azeri Family-Members Killed in Fizuli Landmine Blast
Cher Appeals to US Government to Help Armenia, Artsakh (VIDEO)
Kim Kardashian Speaks on Artsakh Peace Deal: This is Goodbye, for Now
Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Held Phone Conversations with the Representatives of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair Countries
Territorial Concessions and the Announced Terms Have Not Been Discussed with the Authorities of Artsakh: Vahram Poghosyan
A New Era Starts in the Caucasus: Georgian President
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Sent a Letter to the UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
First Aurora Humanitarian Aid Projects for Artsakh Announced
Ara Ayvazyan Appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs of Armenia
Wind: 4 km/h