During the Elections, the Azerbaijani Authorities Set Three Main Goals for Themselves: Narek Minasyan
The election of Aliyev and the electoral processes in Azerbaijan in general are only performances, staged mostly for the international community. Narek Minasyan, the head of "Insight" Analytical Center for Applied Policy and Research stated at a press conference in "Armenpress" press center. According to him, the purpose of the Azerbaijani authorities is to create an imitation of legitimacy, to show as if democratic processes are taking place.
According to Minasyan, in the electoral processes the Azerbaijani authorities have set three main problems for themselves. "First, it was necessary to show that the elections were competitive. For this purpose, there were a number of prominent candidates who were carrying out propaganda for Aliyev. Moreover, one of them even confessed that he voted for Aliyev," Minasyan said.
The second problem, according to the expert, was to ensure high participation of citizens in the elections. Taking into account the fact that a number of opposition forces boycotted the elections in general, it was more important for Aliyev's clan to have high level of participation.
The third issue, according to Minasyan, was the involvement of observer missions with which the Aerbaijani authorities tried to present the elections as democratic. "It is noteworthy that by moving the election date, Aliyev deprived the observer missions of the opportunity to conduct long-term observation," the political scientist mentioned.
According to him, Ilham Aliyev had clearly calculated that if the election period was changed from October to April, in the context of the full international agenda and the current tension in the West-Russia relations, the presidential elections in Azerbaijan would be out of the international community's attention. It seems that these calculations justified themselves, and indeed, there is no serious international response to Aliyev's snap elections.
Minasyan said that the leaders of different countries have already congratulated Aliyev and, naturally, among them was the Turkish President. He was followed by the Presidents of Belarus, Iran, Georgia, Russia, etc.
- In Order to Maintain His Power Aliyev Changes The ''Game Terms'' In the current situation a question arises, which made Aliyev to go for snap elections, changing the terms of the game. If we try to clarify the main motives for appointing snap presidential elections...
- Why Did Aliyev Decide to Hold Snap Elections in Azerbaijan?! An Exclusive Interview with an Expert Such an interpretation suggests that Aliyev, roughly speaking, decided to quickly organize his fourth election.
- Aliyev Will Try to Pursue More Balanced Internal Politics in 2018 Among the steps to strengthen their power, we should also consider the emergence of a new "black list" which includes those who "dare" to criticize the situation in human rights and freedoms in Azerbaijan.
- In 2016 Aliyev Strengthened Its Clan's Position and Weakened the Country's Socio-Economic Situation By resorting to aggression against NKR and creating an imitation of a strong country, Aliyev not only erased the offshore scandal from the memory of its society, but also created a ground for Constitutional...
- Council of Europe against Azerbaijan Not to sound too optimistic we can at least hope that the Azerbaijan petrodollars have lost their effectiveness and nowadays it becomes harder for Azerbaijan to close the eyes of the international community.
Two Koreas Agree to Connect Railways and Roads
Turkey Reduces Investment Levels for Turkish Citizenship
Armenia, China Sign Air Communication Agreement
Russian MoD Blames Israel for Attack Which Led to Downing of Il-20 by Syria
21 Killed in Iranian Road Accident
Levon Aronian's Wife to Solo Cycle through Turkey and Iran to Armenia
Pope to Armenian Monks: Continue to Illuminate the Path to Unity
Fire on the Slopes of Mount Ararat Has Started to Quickly Spread Again
North, South Korean Leaders Kick off 3-day Summit
Armenia’s Human Rights Defender's Office Praised by European Union for "Excellent" Job
PM Receives EAEU-Member States’ Central Bank Presidents
NATO Ready to Response if Russia Carries out a Cyberattack
FM Mnatsakanyan: Armenia Remains Committed to Peaceful Settlement Process of NK Conflict
My Deal or No Deal: Theresa May
Armenia to Carry out Inspections in Turkish Sites as Part of Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE)
London Mayor Calls for Another Referendum on Brexit
President of Artsakh Met with Armenian Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan
Mattis Condemns Russia for Influence-Peddling in Macedonia
Ethiopia, Eritrea Sign Agreement in Saudi Arabia
Trump to Annouce Tariffs on $200 Billion in Chinese Goods
Belgian King and His Family Are on Vacation in Armenia
Pashinyan: Karabakh Should Become a Part of Armenia
Erdogan Wants to Build a Seljuk Style Presidential Palace on Shores of Lake Van
Angela Merkel Arrived in Armenia
Armenian-Chinese Friendship School Opens in Yerevan
Dan Bilzerian Registers in the Armenian Armed Forces
Merkel Left Azerbaijan with ''Armenian Flags''
US Announces Death of ISIS Leader in Afghanistan
Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Berlin Regrets Azerbaijan's Decision to Ban German Parliamentarian from Entering the Country Due to His Visit to Karabakh
Wind: 11.27 km/h