Iran Rights Lawyer Sotoudeh to Face Additional 10 Years in Jail
Iranian human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh has been sentenced to an extra 10 years in jail on top of the five-year term she is already serving, her husband Reza Khandan said Tuesday.
Sotoudeh is an award-winning rights activist who was arrested last June and told she had been found guilty in absentia of espionage charges and sentenced to five years, AFP reports.
The new 10-year sentence is the longest of seven different verdicts totalling 33 years bundled together in a case and communicated to Sotoudeh in prison, according to Khandan. "But only the longest sentence will be served, which is 'encouraging corruption and debauchery and providing the means'," he told AFP by telephone.
He said Sotoudeh has also been sentenced to a total of 148 lashes for appearing in court without the hijab Islamic head covering and for another charge.
She had in been found guilty of "colluding against the system, propaganda against the system... disrupting public order" and on several other counts.
- Trump and Netanyahu Discuss ‘Threat from Iran’ The two last spoke on November 19, when Netanyahu thanked the president for Washington’s decision to repudiate a State Department legal opinion that said West Bank settlements were illegal.
- Six More Countries Join Trump-Busting Iran Barter Group The system has not yet enabled any transactions.
- Iranian Foreign Minister Held Talks With a Taliban Delegation Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif held talks in Tehran with a Taliban delegation led by Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, one of the group's founders, the official IRNA news agency reported on Wednesday.
- Iran Says Pro-Government Rally to Show who 'Real' Iranians are After days of state-sponsored marches in dozens of cities to condemn the unrest, Iran is holding a pro-government rally in the capital to be addressed by the commander of the elite Revolutionary Guards,...
- Terror Sponsors Must Stop Blaming Iran for Their Problems: Foreign Ministry "The very countries that spawn and promote terrorism and extremism and have interfered in the internal affairs of others by violating the principle of good neighborliness, and [those who] have weakened...
Boris Johnson Hides in Fridge to Avoid Questions as Aide Swears at GMB Reporter (video)
Federal Judge Blocks Trump Plan to Spend $3.6 Billion in Military Funds on Border Wall
Weather Forecast in Armenia: the Air Temperature will Gradually Go up
Scenario Seems to Be Imposed on Karabakh Implemented with Participation of Armenian Authorities: Robert Kocharyan
Armenian Parliament Completely Passes Bill on Early Retirement of Constitutional Court Judges
World's First Fully Electric Commercial Aircraft Takes Flight in Canada
UN Investigators Unable to Trace Saudi Aramco Attack to Iran
4 Killed in Jersey City Shooting
Roadways in RA are Mainly Passable
Armenian Monastery Among Europe's Host Endangered Heritage Sites
EU Diplomacy Chief Hails Paris Normandy Four Summit as First Step to Settlement in Ukraine
Russian and Turkish Defense Ministers Hold a Phone Call
Armenian Civil Aviation Committee Has Been Put under Heightened Scrutiny by EU
There's Currently a Serious Leadership Crisis in Europe: Erdogan
Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Receives Nobel Peace Prize
President Sarkissian, FM Mnatsakanyan discuss Armenia’s Foreign Policy Agenda
Armenia’s DM, ICRC Armenian Delegation Discuss Fates of Armenian Citizens Arrested in Azerbaijan
Roxette Singer Marie Fredriksson Dies Aged 61
High Level Talks on Syria Start Today in Nur-Sultan
Twitter Names the Most Siscussed Topics of 2019
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Komitas Statue to Be Unveiled in Front of Istanbul’s Armenian Patriarchate
Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria
Pope Francis Refers to Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Revolution Turns into Ashes when the Given Promise Isn't Kept: Aram I Catholicos
Artsakh Republic President Held a Working Consultation with the Representatives of the Askeran Regional Administration and Community Heads
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Statement by MFA of Armenia Regarding the Statements by the President of Turkey on Armenian Genocide Made in the United States
Azerbaijan Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border around 140 Times in One Week
Wind: 4 km/h