Armenia PM: If Government Were Subjected to Pressure on Teghut Matter, Over 900 People Would Again Be Unemployed
Had the government been subjected to pressure on the matter of the Teghut copper and molybdenum mine, more than 900 people would again have been out of work. The Prime Minister of Armenia, Nikol Pashinyan, noted about this in a Facebook post, News.am reports.
“At the end of July, there was a great deal of uproar that, supposedly, the dam of the tailing dump of the Teghut mine was on the verge of collapse and could collapse at any time,” Pashinyan wrote. “Let me say at once that if those claims were true, the dam of the tailing dump of Teghut would have collapsed (or at least cracked, deformed) as a result of the earthquake that occurred the previous day, because an earthquake of 2-4 magnitude was registered in the mine area.
“This is exactly what I mean when I say to go after the truth until the end. In those days, there was a lot of pressure on the government to stop the work of the Teghut mine. Had we done so, more than 900 people would again have been out of work, and the unexploited mine would have become a bigger problem because there would not have been any entity accountable for it, before which it would have been possible to make demands, including in terms of ensuring safety and environmental standards.
“And we [the Armenian government] decided to go in another way. The inspectorate bodies went [to Teghut] and carried out a detailed inspection. As a result, they concluded that there is no risk of the dam collapsing, and the earthquake of the previous day proved the truth of that assertion.
“Thereafter, the mine operator was required to carry out expertise of the dam of the tailing dump and to ensure its long-term safety.
“If this condition is met, the mine will be operated—no matter how much I don’t like that. If this condition is not met, the mine will not be operated—no matter how much I like that; this is the lawful way of the truth.
“And will those who were claiming that the Teghut mine will collapse now bear any accountability? Of course not because they can claim everything.
“But had the government given in to the pressures, would it have borne any accountability? Of course yes: at least for lowering Armenia’s investment rating, 940 workers left unemployed, [paying of] less taxes, and economic indicators.”
- Armenia PM: Central Bank Made $5 mln Purchase from Financial Market Today "Today the Central Bank of Armenia made a purchase of $5,000,000 from the financial market. This is the first purchase of the year," he stated.
- National Security Service Operates Specialized Division for Safeguarding Foreign Investments It said the division is functioning as part of the Department of Economic Security and Anti-Corruption which was formed in October 2018 as result of reforms.
- Estimations of Armenia’s Economic Growth are Pretty Solid: World Bank According to the report "firming growth in the South Caucasus, to an estimated 3.7 percent in 2019, was supported by private consumption, and on the supply side by strong manufacturing growth, as well...
- Armenia Will be Granted a 45.8mn Euro Loan Armenia will be granted a 45.8mn euro loan in accordance with a loan agreement signed between Armenia and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Government Returned 180 Billion AMD in Working Capital to Businesses in 1,5 Years - PM "In other words, within one and a half year the government returned 180 billion AMD in working capital to the business. The process continues, including in the form of VAT debt returns", the PM said.
David Yurchenko to Play for Armenian National Team
Armenia’s DM Instructs Strengthening Discipline and Growth of Quality of Operative-Intelligence Works at Military Police
Mher Grigoryan Attending The Meeting of The Council of the Eurasian Economic Commission
ANCA Calls on US to Match Armenia and Azerbaijan Military Assistance
Putin, Macron and Merkel Call for Resuming Political Dialogue on Libya: Kremlin
Iran Confirmed 13 More New Coronavirus Cases
Iran's President Casts His Vote in Legislative Elections
Miroslav Lajcak Pay An Official Visit To Armenia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Armen Sarkissian Sent a Letter of Condolences on the Demise of the Renowned Conductor Yuri Davtian
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Leaders of EU Members Call for Ceasing Hostilities in Syria's Idlib
Iran Parliamentary Election Kicks Off
Igor Grigoryan Conferred the Rank of the Third Degree Justice State Adviser
President of Artsakh Receives Ombudsman of Armenia
Iraq Closes Southern Border with Iran to Travelers
Discussion with Azerbaijan’s Aliyev in Munich is Turning Point: Nikol Pashinyan
Criminal Sub-Culture Must be Eradicated in the Army: Armenia’s PM
Kardashian Family Had Dinner at Armenian Carousel Restaurant
Armenia is World’s Third Most Militarized County, Report Shows
Garo Paylan Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize: Organizations Can Join the Initiative and Give Their Vote to Him
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
The Jewish Press: Turkey Working to Take Over Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
FIDE Bans Organizer of Turkish Tournament who Asked Armenian Delegate to Cancel Participation: Maria Gevorgyan
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
The people of Artsakh have never participated in the elections of Azerbaijan either now, or throughout the entire history of the Republic of Azerbaijan: Anna Naghdalyan
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
Wind: 5 km/h