From the EaP Countries, Only Azerbaijan and Belarus Were Completely Deprived of the USAID Financial Support
The US Congress House of Representatives on April 3 confirmed the 1.1 billion budget plan, which will be in force until the end of the financial year – next September. The budget should be confirmed by the US Senate and President this week so that the US federal government continues operating normally and avoids shutdown.
In the budget plan, which was presented by the Foreign Policy, it is noted that the amount of assistance presented to the developing countries by the US will be reduced by the third of its previous amount. According to the same report, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan and Belarus will no longer get the USAID assistance. The amount of the USAID assistance given to Armenia will be reduced by 77 percent, to Georgia by 41, to Moldova by approximately 50 percent and to Ukraine by 69.
To note, USAID is a US state agency that presents assistance to reduce the level of poverty in the world, gives an opportunity to democratic societies to use its potential. It was founded in 1961 by the US 35th president John Kennedy,
Before explaining such a change in the US budget plan, it is noteworthy to note that from the five EaP countries, only Azerbaijan and Belarus were completely deprived of the USAID assistance, while Moldova, Ukraine and Armenia, despite the reductions, will continue to get assistance. Such a grouping cannot be occasional and speaks of different levels of democracy development in those countries.
We can state, that the above mentioned, once more proves that Trump’s administration will no longer assist the foreign policy previously conducted by the US, which supposed closer cooperation with the representatives of opposition and civil society in other countries.
Instead, Trump will bring bilateral relations with other countries to the sphere of mutual agreements by the principle "what for what." Such a policy of Trump’s administration is already demonstrated in the policy towards the US NATO allies, when Trump demands from US allies to pay for their defense.
- Is Moldova Turning to the Eurasian Economic Union? It should be noted that the intention of deepening cooperation between the Eurasian Economic Union was first announced by the President of Moldova in January, after his meeting with Russian President Vladimir...
- Moldova is also Retreating from Extreme Pro-Western Direction? Regardless of the fact that the new president considers himself a pro-Russian politician, and was in favor of the normalization of Russian-Moldovan relations, it is unlikely that Moldova refuses the European...
- Moldova Holds First Presidential Election in 20 Years Moldova was thrown into political turmoil in 2014 with the disappearance of about $1bn (£820m) from the banking system.
- Constitutional Referendum May Take Place in Moldova This question may be brought for discussion in the parliament "at the first meetings of the forthcoming session of the parliament."
- The Richest Citizen of Moldova Appointed to the Post of Prime Minister Ion Sturza is considered the richest citizen of Moldova. According to the Forbes-500, the wealth of Sturza is estimated nearly 100 million euros.
- Soros Makes about $18bn for Human Rights The donation makes Soros’s Open Society Foundations the third largest charitable foundation in the world, behind the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and the Wellcome Trust.
- Israel Also Withdraws from UNESCO In a statement, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hailed the U.S. decision as "brave and moral" and stated that Israel would begin preparations to follow suit.
- US Delegation to Visit Turkey The delegation will be headed by the State Department's Deputy Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs Jonathan Cohen, according to sources.
- Trump-Tillerson Disagreements: Do They Have Certain Purpose? However, one cannot also exclude the scenario, that such a public demonstration of disagreement is a diplomatic trick of Trump’s administration to balance the US stance on various foreign policy issues.
- Neither Erdogan, Nor His Cabinet Ministers Haven’t Accepted US Ambassador’s Farewell Visit Bass, who was sworn in as ambassador to Turkey in September 2014, was recently confirmed by the US Senate for his next post as ambassador to Afghanistan.
- EU Defends Iran Deal After a closed-door meeting chaired by EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini on how best to proceed on the Iran issue, the ministers issued a joint statement saying the 2015 deal was key to preventing...
- Luis R. Corteguera: Declaration of Independence by Catalonia Might Move Madrid to Apply Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution (EXCLUSIVE) Efforts to stop the vote by relying on the courts to declare the referendum illegal, by taking control of Catalan finances to prevent expenditures on the referendum, and finally, by deploying thousands...
- Freedom of Speech Cannot Justify Hate Speech: Germany Fights Hate Speech Moreover, the scope of the problem should be extended to the punishment and fines for various officials, who spread hate speech on the highest level against the nations they consider their enemies.
- Catalan Independence Referendum: Opinions from Catalonia (EXCLUSIVE) "Spain's government is threatening people with thousands of policemen bullying citizens and forbidding universal rights such as freedom of expression. But we are not afraid anymore, and we are determined...
- EU Extended Sanctions on Russia by Six Months Despite the fact that several EU members have repeatedly voiced disapproval of anti-Russian sanctions policy and called for lifting them, which harm their states' trade with Russia, Brussels continues...
- The EU has Revised Its Neighborhood Policy: What are on the Basis of This Revision? In parallel, the new strategy pays great attention to its neighboring countries neighbors, their cooperation and their impact on the region. The need for cooperation with Turkey is noted in particular,...
- Head of the EU Delegation on ENP Document Details Świtalski noted that the discussions were launched late last year and involved all the executives and government officials. He added that about 250 proposals were made, including the ones by the Armenian...
- Co-Presidents of the Euronest on Azerbaijan Decision to Withdraw The Constituent Act of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly provides for a year's notice before any withdrawal becomes effective: within this period, we reiterate our availability to openly discuss the...
- What Happens in Moldova Cannot be Compared with Ukraine The fact that the events in Moldova, are, anyway, far away from being called "Maidan" is evidently seen in a number of factors, the most important of which is that two pro-Russian parties have joined the...
- Moldova: The Next "Hot Spot" in Europe? The Council of Europe stated that it is ready to help Moldova in implementing the necessary reforms in order to fully meet the international standards.
Erdogan: US, EU Don't Help Turkey in Terror Fight
Premiere of Dadivank Documentary Film in Artsakh
Hamshen Armenian Intellectual's Wife Detained in Turkey
Syrian Kurds Don’t Want Independence from Syria
Foreign Minister of the Republic of Artsakh Delivered a Speech in Brussels
Iraqi Forces Fully Took Control of Kirkuk
Premier of Serj Tankian’s Symphony in Armenia (Video)
Spanish Government Plans to Dissolve Catalonia's Parliament
NKR President Met with Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Aram I
Turkey Sets Up Its First Observation Post in Idlib
Tusk Rules Out Any EU Action Over Catalonia
EU to Reduce Financial Assistance to Turkey
RF Premier Dmitry Medvedev to Arrive in Armenia on Official Visit
NKR Defense Army Serviceman Tigran Khachatryan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Iraq Warns Foreign Oil Companies Against Contracts With Kurdistan
Artsakh Republic President Visited in Brussels the Office of the European Friends of Armenia Organization
NKR Defense Army Soldier Fatally Wounded
Azerbaijani MFA Considered Including Famous CNN Showman in Its Black List
Turkey Welcomes Cooperation with Iran Against the Iraqi KRG
Nalbandian: Azerbaijan Refuses to Reiterate the Principles of Karabakh Conflict Resolution
Being Afraid of Armenian Official, Azerbaijani Defense Minister Hides Behind the Flag
Georgians Would Die of Envy: BBC Travel Correspondent Told a Joke about Armenians, Georgians and Azeris
President Presents Geneva Talk’s Outcome at the Meeting with Armenian Community in Switzerland
Luis R. Corteguera: Declaration of Independence by Catalonia Might Move Madrid to Apply Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution (EXCLUSIVE)
Catalan Independence Referendum: Opinions from Catalonia (EXCLUSIVE)
The Armenian Delegation Called on Turkey for a Dialogue on the Issue of the Construction of Reservoirs on Araks: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Knyaz Hasanov: Iraqi Kurdistan Leadership Should Sit Down for Dialogue with the Iraqi Authorities
Armenian Delegates Talked About Issues of Refugees and Cyber Security at the OSCE PA Meeting: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
On the Occasion of the 26th Anniversary of Armenia’s Independence President Sargsyan Visited the Erablur Pantheon
Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan Discussed Issues Related to the Organization of the Upcoming Meeting of Presidents
Wind: 11.27 km/h