Where Do the Interests of Germany, Russia and the US Meet?
Last week the US Senate with the votes, 97 for and 2 against confirmed the change to include sanctions against Russia in the bill that presupposes sanctions against Iran. It was expected that this week, the bill should be voted also by the US Congress House of Representatives, after which it should be confirmed by the US president. However, because of the disagreements on the issue between the Republicans and Democrats, the voting of the bill, will probably be postponed.
It is worth noting, that after the confirmation of the change in the bill by the US Senate, Germany’s Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel and Austria’s Federal Chancellor Christian Kern issued a joint statement, in which they criticized the decision of the US Senate noting that those sanctions contradict the economic interests of the EU and they will hinder the participation of European companies in the "Nord Stream 2" gas pipeline project.
In case the US confirms the sanctions against the RF in the end, can it become a reason for another tension between the US and its European allies?
The question is not that easy, as it may seem at first glance, as the interests of different players collide on the issue. First of all we should note that in contrast to the US Senate, the US President Donald Trump and his team posited against the sanctions. After the approval of the sanctions by the US Senate, the White House stated that they would work with the Republican congressmen in the House of Representatives, to ease the sanctions against the RF as much as possible. As the US State Secretary Rex Tillerson noted, the sanctions would have a negative impact on the US attempts to improve the relations with Russia.
On the other hand, we should state that it seems there are also some disagreements in the positions of the separate EU states and the official Brussels on the "Nord Stream-2" project. When, for example, Germany and Austria expressed their concerns about the US possible sanctions against Russia conditioning it by the negative impact it could have on the project "Nord Stream-2", the official Brussels, particularly the President of the European Council, Donald Tusk, stated that the construction of the project "Nord Stream-2" contradicted the EU legislation. In the letter addressed to the European Commission, he noted that the project would not serve the EU interests and will leave Ukraine "at the mercy of Russia." He called to review the terms of the project. To note such a stance from Germany and Austria is not occasional as those sanctions will hinder the work of German and Austrian companies, which have invested in the "Nord Stream-2" project.
It should be noted that the project "Nord Stream-2" will pass through the Baltic Sea taking gas from Russia directly to Germany thus bypassing Ukraine. Nine EU states - Croatia, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Romania, in their letter addressed to the head of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker, expressed their concern about the "Nord Stream-2" project saying that it would increase the EU’s dependence on Russia, Financial Times reports.
What refers to the position of Trump’s administration on the project "Nord Stream-2", it cannot be considered an absolute one as well. Germany and Austria that are interested in the project "Nord Stream-2", blame the US for interfering the Europe’s internal affairs. According to the existing viewpoint, the US tries to hinder the export of the Russian gas to Europe, in order its European allies use the gas exported from the US instead.
However, one can come to the question: what is more preferable for Trump’s administration – the deterioration of the relations with Russia followed by the sanctions against Russia or the profit get from the US gas exported to Europe. Judging from the foreign policy of Trump’s administration, demonstrated so far (they prefer concrete agreements reached with individual states, based on mutual interests), we cannot exclude that in the end RF, USA and the EU member states (Germany and Austria) interested in the project will reach an agreement on the project "Nord Stream-2" based on mutual interests.
- Iran files Suit in International Court against U.S. over Sanctions A State Department official said the application was without merit and the United States would fight it in the court.
- Prime Minister Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message on U.S. Independence Day I should note with satisfaction the special role played by the vibrant U.S.-based "Armenian community, which is building bridges of friendship between our countries with its active structures and unconditional...
- The Trump administration reportedly drafted a bill to abandon key World Trade Organization rules Trump has been angling for some time to withdraw the US from the WTO completely, though he would be unable to do so without Congress' approval.
- "US laws are the dumbest in the world". Donald Trump "Republicans want Strong Borders and no Crime. Dems want Open Borders and are weak on Crime!", - said president Trump.
- Bill Shine, Former Fox News Co-President, to Take on Senior Communications Role at White House Sources tell Fox News that Shine has discussed a White House position with Trump on two other occasions, but both times the potential appointment fell through.
- NATO, EU Leaders to Sign Declaration on Enhanced Cooperation: Stoltenberg “NATO and EU leaders plan to sign a new joint declaration in July to further enhance their level of cooperation,” Jens Stoltenberg said at NATO Defense Ministers meeting on Friday.
- "Party for Macron": What Do French People Complain of? In their turn, the students, who joined the protestors, were concerned by Macron’s plan to reform the higher education system to increase competitiveness, arguing that in that case the universal right...
- Air France Offers Flights with Alcohol and Digital Entertainment The price of the ticket to European destinations departing from Paris starts at €49 (£43) each way, while long haul flights start from €149 each way, excluding checked baggage.
- New Coin Picturing Prince Harry and Meghan Markle The coin, approved by the couple themselves, shows Markle clutching her fiance's arm in a pose they first struck during their official engagement photocall.
- Mogherini: the EU to Provide Additional € 3 Billion to Turkey This was stated by the head of European diplomacy Federica Mogherini, novinite.com reports.
PM Receives Special Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office on Combating Corruption
Israel Has Adopted Divisive Jewish Nation-State Law
Trump Is Looking Forward to a Second Meeting with Putin
Zakharova: Russia Wants to Restore Relations with Georgia
Pashinyan: The Sale of Weapons to Azerbaijan by the Belarusian Authorities Is Unacceptable
Trump Holds Putin Responsible for US Elections Interference
UK Law Enforcers Foil Plans to Kill Theresa May
5 More Countries Join EU Sanctions on Russia
Regime of State of Emergency Lifted in Turkey
Any constructive contact initiated by the parties should serve for settlement of NK conflict, Russia says
UK House of Lords Has Approved Armenia-EU Agreement
New Program for Syrian Armenians to Be Launched by Red Cross
EU Begins Screening Macedonia, Albania for Mid-2019 Accession Talks
US House of Representatives may Consider New Sanctions on Russia
At Least three Dead After Two Planes Crash in Florida
Iran files Suit in International Court against U.S. over Sanctions
Prime Minister Suggests Reconsidering Rental Contracts for Facilities Near Lake Sevan and Bring Them to a Proper Level
Trump: Iran deal is good for Russia, but it wasn't good for US
EU Signs Free-trade Agreement with Japan
Putin: Russia Has No “Compromising Material” on Trump
Prince William Got an Armenian Cross as a Gift
A Lebanese Politician of Armenian Ethnic Origins is in the top-5 of the Most Successful Business Women in the Middle East
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Nikol Pashinyan: "Our most important goal is not only to stop the tide of emigration, but to reverse the trend" (PHOTOS)
Feast of Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Israel Defense Minister Cancels Azerbaijan Visit
Erdogan Plans to Involve Ethnic Armenian Economist Daron Acemoglu in the New Cabinet
Artsrun Hovhannisyan: The Activity of Azerbaijani Farmers and Shepherds is From Now on Threatened Due to "Liberator" Hasanov
Comment by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh on the UN Security Council Resolutions on the Azerbaijan-Karabakh Conflict
Appointment of The Ambassador is Very Important for Armenia-Ukraine Relations: Head of the Armenia-Ukraine Friendship Group
Wind: 11.27 km/h