Where Do the Interests of Germany, Russia and the US Meet?
Last week the US Senate with the votes, 97 for and 2 against confirmed the change to include sanctions against Russia in the bill that presupposes sanctions against Iran. It was expected that this week, the bill should be voted also by the US Congress House of Representatives, after which it should be confirmed by the US president. However, because of the disagreements on the issue between the Republicans and Democrats, the voting of the bill, will probably be postponed.
It is worth noting, that after the confirmation of the change in the bill by the US Senate, Germany’s Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel and Austria’s Federal Chancellor Christian Kern issued a joint statement, in which they criticized the decision of the US Senate noting that those sanctions contradict the economic interests of the EU and they will hinder the participation of European companies in the "Nord Stream 2" gas pipeline project.
In case the US confirms the sanctions against the RF in the end, can it become a reason for another tension between the US and its European allies?
The question is not that easy, as it may seem at first glance, as the interests of different players collide on the issue. First of all we should note that in contrast to the US Senate, the US President Donald Trump and his team posited against the sanctions. After the approval of the sanctions by the US Senate, the White House stated that they would work with the Republican congressmen in the House of Representatives, to ease the sanctions against the RF as much as possible. As the US State Secretary Rex Tillerson noted, the sanctions would have a negative impact on the US attempts to improve the relations with Russia.
On the other hand, we should state that it seems there are also some disagreements in the positions of the separate EU states and the official Brussels on the "Nord Stream-2" project. When, for example, Germany and Austria expressed their concerns about the US possible sanctions against Russia conditioning it by the negative impact it could have on the project "Nord Stream-2", the official Brussels, particularly the President of the European Council, Donald Tusk, stated that the construction of the project "Nord Stream-2" contradicted the EU legislation. In the letter addressed to the European Commission, he noted that the project would not serve the EU interests and will leave Ukraine "at the mercy of Russia." He called to review the terms of the project. To note such a stance from Germany and Austria is not occasional as those sanctions will hinder the work of German and Austrian companies, which have invested in the "Nord Stream-2" project.
It should be noted that the project "Nord Stream-2" will pass through the Baltic Sea taking gas from Russia directly to Germany thus bypassing Ukraine. Nine EU states - Croatia, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Romania, in their letter addressed to the head of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker, expressed their concern about the "Nord Stream-2" project saying that it would increase the EU’s dependence on Russia, Financial Times reports.
What refers to the position of Trump’s administration on the project "Nord Stream-2", it cannot be considered an absolute one as well. Germany and Austria that are interested in the project "Nord Stream-2", blame the US for interfering the Europe’s internal affairs. According to the existing viewpoint, the US tries to hinder the export of the Russian gas to Europe, in order its European allies use the gas exported from the US instead.
However, one can come to the question: what is more preferable for Trump’s administration – the deterioration of the relations with Russia followed by the sanctions against Russia or the profit get from the US gas exported to Europe. Judging from the foreign policy of Trump’s administration, demonstrated so far (they prefer concrete agreements reached with individual states, based on mutual interests), we cannot exclude that in the end RF, USA and the EU member states (Germany and Austria) interested in the project will reach an agreement on the project "Nord Stream-2" based on mutual interests.
- Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary? In this context it is interesting that his most favorite book is Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, which depicts "a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome...
- NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington The meetings addressed diverse issues related to the Artsakh domestic and foreign policy, the Artsakh-Diaspora cooperation, developing and deepening the USA-Artsakh ties.
- Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order Bako Sahakyan also recognized the important role of the U.S. Armenian organisations in international recognition of Artsakh and making our country recognizable worldwide.
- Washington: Bako Sahakyan Visited the Headquarters of ANCA President Sahakyan highlighted the ANCA's activity in solving various national issues conveying gratitude for constantly keeping the Artsakh-related issues in the spotlight of attention.
- NKR President Bako Sahakyan Made a Speech at the US Congress The President accentuated Washington's considerable contribution in maintaining peace and stability in our region, in peaceful and just solution of the Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict.
- The Artsakh Parliament President Received the Delegation of the City of Bouc-Bel-Air of France "The work that you are doing in Artsakh is very important. I think the work that is being done in different sphered will become the basis for more effective collaboration," said Ashot Ghoulyan.
- Tax War between US and EU "If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a Tax on their Cars which freely pour into the U.S. They make...
- Sigmar Gabriel: Serbia Must Recognize Kosovo's Independence to Join EU That is a central condition to take the path toward, Gabriel said
- Armenia and Bulgaria Acknowledge Their Role in Connecting the Gulf Coast to the Europe In this context, the rising interest of Bulgarian businessmen to invest in Armenian was especially prioritized, which was first of all conditioned by the membership of Armenia to the EAEU, the EU-Armenia...
- EU Welcomes German Coalition's ''New Departure for Europe'' Martin Schulz celebrated his party's coalition deal with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives on Wednesday, saying it meant Germany "will return to an active and leading role in the European Union."
Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary?
RA President Congratulated His Chinese Counterpart
Two Armenians Killed in Los Angeles Shooting
Russia Has Expelled 23 British Diplomats
Perspectives of IT Sector Development in Artsakh Were Discussed
Armenian Chess Players Participate in Individual Championship of Europe
New Secretary of State: Will the US Foreign Policy Become More Agressive?
A Turkish Bombing Raid Struck the Main Hospital in Afrin: At Least 16 Civilians Killed
RA President Met with the Upper Board of Armenia’s Supreme Judicial Council
Xi Jinping Re-Elected as China’s President
Candidates Tournament: Aronian Defeated by So
NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington
Commemoration of St. Gregory the Illuminator’s Torments and Commitment to the Pit
Charles Aznavour Received Czech Rep. Award
Migrants Clash with Madrid Police
Dollar Falling in Armenia
The CSTO PA Should Strictly Respond to Azerbaijan’s Destructive Actions
The Republic of Armenia Stands by the People of Lebanon
Donald Trump Jr and wife Vanessa Separating After 12 Years of Marriage
Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Armenian President Schools Azeri Diplomat on History at Munich Security Conference
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Serzh Sargsyan: Azerbaijan’s Position Regarding the Nagorno Karabakh Issue is a Flagrant Violation of the Helsinki Spirit
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Lapshin Showed the Difference in the Education of Armenian and Azerbaijani Children (VIDEO)
Wind: 11.27 km/h