Israeli PM Warns Iran Status Quo May Spur Mideast Arms Race
Israel’s new interim prime minister, Yair Lapid, warned that a continuation of the status quo with Iran may lead to a nuclear arms race in the Middle East that would ''threaten world peace'', the Bloomberg reports.
Lapid spoke before meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday in Paris, where the two leaders are expected to discuss efforts to revive the nuclear deal with Iran and tensions on Israel’s disputed maritime border with Lebanon.
Lapid said France and Israel are in broad agreement on taking a new approach to Iran.
''We may have disagreements about the content of the agreement, but we do not disagree on the facts,'' he said in a statement at the Elysée palace, referring to the 2015 accord that curbed Iranian nuclear activities in return for sanctions relief. ''The facts are that Iran is violating the agreement and continues to develop its nuclear program.''
Under its strategic ambiguity policy, Israel neither confirms nor denies having an atomic weapons program but is widely believed to be the only nuclear armed state in the Middle East. Its own undeclared program was developed decades ago and it remains one of only a handful of countries that have never signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty, which is meant to stop the spread of atomic weapons.
Iran is a signatory and says its nuclear work is intended for civilian use, though it has gradually curbed inspections by the UN nuclear watchdog.
- Iran condemns sanctions imposed by EU, Britain and threatens retaliation The European Union imposed sanctions on more than 30 Iranian officials and organisations, including units of the powerful Revolutionary Guards, blaming them for a "brutal" crackdown on unrest and other...
- Zohouri: Armenia's security is Iran's security "I hope that this cooperation as two ancient and centuries-old countries will further develop. Work is being carried out in different directions, related to the road, economic cooperation, etc., which...
- Russia, Iran are negotiating creation of common steblecoin on gold The Iranian government intends to secure this token with gold, that is, it will be a kind of steblecoin. The token is expected to work in a special economic zone in Astrakhan, which will receive cargo...
- The Islamic Republic of Iran denounces the harmfulness of foreign intervention in regional affairs The Russian presidential office has said in a statement that Vladimir Putin held a phone conversation with his Iranian counterpart on Wednesday evening.
- Iran, Azerbaijan misunderstanding solved: parl. speaker During the meeting, the parties also discussed holding tripartite meetings at the level of foreign ministers, defense chiefs, and the countries' heads.
Meeting of Ararat Mirzoyan and Enrique Mora
A consultation on tax potential assessment held at Government
Russian MFA responds to the decision of the EU to deploy a new observation mission in Armenia
Armenia’s citizens to visit United Arab Emirates without visa
Wizz Air to start operating flights on several new routes
Gas supply to be restored in Stepanakert, but cut in the regions
Kremlin rules out any talks between Zelensky, Putin
The Secretary of the Security Council Had a Telephone Conversation with Kestutis Budrys
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Artsakh believes that "international anti-terrorist cooperation" must be considered to save blockaded 120,000 population
We Should Break Up with This Chain of Unworthy Compromises and Double Standards: Armen Gevorgyan's speech at PACE
New U.S. Ambassador to Russia, Lynne Tracy, arrives in Moscow
Azerbaijan leader attempts to assure France envoy that there is no blockade of Karabakh
First ever high-level EU-Armenia Political and Security Dialogue is taking place in Yerevan
Involvement of US, collective West in conflict in Ukraine grows: Kremlin
Vahagn Khachaturyan sent a congratulatory message to the Governor-General of Australia David Hurley
Artsakh government officials brief Canadian parliamentary committee on Azeri blockade
Efforts to focus international attention on the encroachments on the rights and security of the Armenians of Nagorno-Karabakh should be continued: Pashinyan
Alen Simonyan Meets with President of Football Association of Qatar
The First TUMO Center in Portugal to Open in 2023
Merkel’s, Hollande’s remarks on Minsk Accords signify betrayal: Russian top senator
NATO Secretary General says West should prepare for protracted conflict in Ukraine
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
In the new year and coming years my only wish and counsel to our people is STRUGGLE: Serzh Sargsyan
Retired Pope Benedict XVI dies
Russian Foreign Ministry expresses concern over lack of progress in restoring Lachin corridor
People of Artsakh stand before the problem of realizing the right to life: Artsakh National Assembly President
Stranded citizens of Artsakh to spend New Year’s Eve honoring fallen troops at Yerablur cemetery in Yerevan
Garo Paylan urges Erdogan to take responsibility for ending the blockade of Nagorno- Karabakh
Iranian ambassador to Azerbaijan leaves for consultations at home
Wind: 0.51 km/h