It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
"I am Armenian who came from the United States and here I struggle for the same aim as all the rest. I am an Armenian; this homeland belongs to me as much as it belongs to any other Armenian. I think I share the same responsibility for the defense of this piece of land as any other Armenian does. Consequently, it is natural to be here and to struggle along with the people of Artsakh," used to say the hero of Artsakh liberation war Monte Melkonian.
Today the hero of the Armenian nation Monte Melkonyan son of Charlz would turn 60.
Monte Melkonyan was born on November 25, in 1957 in the city of Visalia not far from the city of Frezno, in the US State of California.
After the liberation war of Artsakh started, he gave up his academic career and left for Artsakh to participate in the military operations. In the battlefield his courage was very quickly noticed and in January of 1992 he was appointed the commander of Martuni region defense forces.
The liberation of Omar Pass was one of his most responsible and brilliant operations, where the talent of Monte commander was once more demonstrated. Monte was convinced that a battle demands crazy actions, the ones that a reasonable person would not do, but he did.
On June 12, 1993, after wide scale operations of neutralizing weapon displacements, the commander of Martuni region Monte Melkonian was going down from the commanding heights to personally check the situation and position of his fighters. In the Marzili village near Aghdam they unexpectedly met armored infantry fighting vehicles of the opponent.
Going out of the car and positioning himself, Monte started to fire. However, he was killed in an unequal battle by a rocket fired from a vehicle of the opponent.
Monte Melkonian got the tile of the hero of the republics of Armenian and Artsakh. After his name are schools, military units in Armenia and Artsakh.
This year in Dilijan town of Tavush region of the Republic of Armenia, the official opening ceremony of the military school after Monte Melkonyan and the hero's statue on the his 60th anniversary took place. The newly built school corresponds to the highest international standards.
At the end, we should just remember the famous words of the hero: "Losing Artsakh would close last chapter in our history."
- Ambassador: France’s Position on Karabakh Remains the Same French diplomat said: “The position of France remains the same. We are saddened by the deaths and we hope for the negotiated settlement within the OSCE Minsk Group”.
- Karabakh Settlement Issue: Armen Sargsyan's Visits to the USA, Moscow and Stepanakert: The next meeting with the co-chairs is expected as part of their regional visit before the end of the year. However, before the co-chairs arrive in Yerevan and Baku, active negotiations and discussions...
- OSCE Mission Monitoring on Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border Passed in Accordance with the Agreed Schedule From the Artsakh side, the monitoring mission was accompanied by representatives of the Republic of Artsakh Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Defense.
- OSCE to Conduct Ceasefire Monitoring in Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border The authorities of the Republic of Artsakh have expressed their readiness to assist in conducting the monitoring and to ensure the security of the OSCE Mission members.
- Despite Political Instability in Armenia Moscow and Yerevan Continue the Cooperation He also mentioned that cooperative work is being carried out in specific areas of cooperation, emphasizing the positive dynamics of mutual trade.
ECHR Fines Armenia over Procedural Violations
Arpine Hovhannisyan Met with EEAS Managing Director for Europe and Central Asia
Moldovan Parliament Fails to Ensure Enough Votes for EU Integration Constitutional Clause
Bako Sahakyan Visits to the Eastern Section of the Artsakh-Azerbaijani Borderline
EU Countries Who Refuse To Host Refugees Could Pay More For Projects
Trump Threatens to Call US Military to Close Southern Border as 4,000-Strong Migrant Caravan Pushes North
Ambassador: France’s Position on Karabakh Remains the Same
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Condolence Letter on Demise of Ara Güler
Karabakh: Solemn Event Marking the Centennial of the Msmna Battle
Karabakh Settlement Issue: Armen Sargsyan's Visits to the USA, Moscow and Stepanakert:
Legendary Turkish-Armenian Photographer Ara Guler Dies at 90
Brexit: UK "May Consider Longer Transition Period'
Nikol Pashinyan, Armen Sarkissian Discuss Issues Related to Political Situation in Armenia
“We Intend to Exempt Micro Business From Taxes” - Nikol Pashinyan Visits Charity Fair Organized by Syrian-Armenians
Tusk has No Optimism on Brexit Deal
The Main Results of the Francophone Week in Yerevan
Anna Burns Wins Man Booker Prize for Milkman
Armenia Improves Positions in Global Competitiveness Index
Turkish President Erdoğan Meets Pompeo in Ankara
Trump: "My Biggest Threat is the Fed"
Brigitte Macron: We Feel So Good in Armenia that We Don't Want to Leave
In Honor of Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, RA Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan Gave Official Dinner (photos)
Macron: April 24 to be Remembered in France as the Day of Remembrance of the Armenian Genocide
It Is Suggested in Armenia to Rename one of the International Airports in Honor of the Great Chansonnier Charles Aznavour
German Publicist about Erdogan's Visit: You Mean the Carpet, which Is Painted with the Blood of Armenians?
Justin Trudeau: Many Years ago I Had the Opportunity to Visit Armenia with my Father during Summer Holidays
Aliyev Criticized International Observers' Assessment on the Yerevan Council of Elderly Elections before the Election Results Were Published
CSTO Chief of Joint Staff not Authorized to Comment on Matter Regarding Secretary General Yuri Khachaturov
Sharmazanov to Speaker of Azerbaijani Parliament: You Should Recognize the Full Exercise of Artsakh People’s Right of Self-Determination
Artsakh's Defense Army Serviceman Artsakh Hovsepyan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Wind: 11.27 km/h