ECHR Rejects Azerbaijan’s Appeal: What Is Next?
The panel of 5 judges of the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights decided to reject the appeal of the Azerbaijani government on the case of the arrested leader of the ReAl movement Ilgar Mammadov, which means, the decision of ECHR on November 16, 2017 must be executed by Azerbaijan within 3 months.
To remind Ilgar Mammadov is an Azerbaijani opposition figure, who is currently imprisoned in Azerbaijan on charges of organizing mass disorder in Azerbaijani town of Ismayilli and was sentenced to seven years in prison. However, in 2016 ECHR judgment found that Mammadov’s arrest was politically motivated and urged the country to immediately release him.
ECHR particularly found that the actual purpose of Mammadov’s arrest was to silence or punish him for criticizing the government. Azerbaijan refused to implement the court ruling, which made the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe adopt a decision last year, stating that Azerbaijan has failed to fulfill its obligation under Article 46 (1), which states: "The High Contracting Parties undertake to abide by the final judgment of the Court in any case to which they are parties."
The decision was appealed by the Azerbaijani government and was rejected by the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights as noted above.
So what will happen if the Azerbaijani authorities once more fail to implement the decision made by the ECHR?
The council of Europe should turn to the Article 46 (4-5) of the European Convention of Human Rights, which states:
"4. If the Committee of Ministers considers that a High Contracting Party refuses to abide by a final judgment in a case to which it is a party, it may, after serving formal notice on that Party and by decision adopted by a majority vote of two-thirds of the representatives entitled to sit on the committee, refer to the Court the question whether that Party has failed to fulfil its obligation under paragraph 1."
"5. If the Court finds a violation of paragraph 1, it shall refer the case to the Committee of Ministers for consideration of the measures to be taken. If the Court finds no violation of 26 27 paragraph 1, it shall refer the case to the Committee of Ministers, which shall close its examination of the case."
The measures that in such a case will be used are - either suspend Azerbaijan’s voting rights, or expel Azerbaijan from the organization for a serious violation of Article 3 of the Statute of the Council of which stipulates that the member states "must accept the principles of the rule of law and of the enjoyment by all persons within its jurisdiction of human rights …, and collaborate sincerely and effectively in the realization of the aim of the Council".
- Magnifier: Baku’s Imitation of Democracy And Peace-loving The program “Magnifier” dealt with issues related to human rights, recent amnesty and peace preparation in Azerbaijan.
- European Court Announces Two New Decisions against Azerbaijan The Strasbourg Court decided that each applicant should be paid an award of EUR 7,500 and another EUR 2,500 to reimburse the court expenses.
- Composer of "The Promise" Movie Song Got Human Rights Watch Award The inaugural honor was given to the late legendary singer and songwriter Chris Cornell in recognition of his song, The Promise. The award was presented at The Voices for Justice Human Rights Watch Annual...
- UNESCO: 930 Journalists Have Been Killed in Last 11 Years In 2016 alone, the UNESCO Director-General condemned the killing of 102 journalists, media workers, and social media producers of public interest journalism. In 2012, the deadliest year for journalists,...
- Poland: Protest Against Aliyev The protesters raised the following question to the leadership of Poland - should the official Warsaw conduct business relations with countries where the norms of democracy and basic human rights are violated?
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 2.57 km/h