European Court Announces Two New Decisions against Azerbaijan
The lawyer Fariz Namazli informed that the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) had announced two decisions on Azerbaijan, Turan reports.
One of them is connected with the refusal to admit the lawyers Annaghi Hajibeyli and Intigam Aliyev to the Bar Association.
In particular, the European Court recognized the violation of the applicants' rights under articles 10 (freedom of expression), 6 (the right to a fair trial), and 34 (the right to individual petition) of the European Convention.
According to Namazli, the violation under Article 34 was recognized due to the fact that in August 2014, when Intigam Aliyev was arrested, the employees of the prosecutor's office withdrew documents from his office, pending before the ECHR.
The Strasbourg Court decided that each applicant should be paid an award of EUR 7,500 and another EUR 2,500 to reimburse the court expenses.
The second decision of the ECHR is connected with the unjustified arrest of the human rights activist Anar Mammadli in December 2013. The court found this unreasonable and found violation of his rights under articles 5 (the right to freedom) and 18 (restriction of rights for political purposes).
The ECHR decided that Mammadli should be paid compensation in the amount of 20,000 euros and another 2,500 to reimburse the court costs.
- Magnifier: Baku’s Imitation of Democracy And Peace-loving The program “Magnifier” dealt with issues related to human rights, recent amnesty and peace preparation in Azerbaijan.
- ECHR Rejects Azerbaijan’s Appeal: What Is Next? The following measures will be either to suspend Azerbaijan’s voting rights and to expel Azerbaijan from the organisation.
- Composer of "The Promise" Movie Song Got Human Rights Watch Award The inaugural honor was given to the late legendary singer and songwriter Chris Cornell in recognition of his song, The Promise. The award was presented at The Voices for Justice Human Rights Watch Annual...
- UNESCO: 930 Journalists Have Been Killed in Last 11 Years In 2016 alone, the UNESCO Director-General condemned the killing of 102 journalists, media workers, and social media producers of public interest journalism. In 2012, the deadliest year for journalists,...
- Poland: Protest Against Aliyev The protesters raised the following question to the leadership of Poland - should the official Warsaw conduct business relations with countries where the norms of democracy and basic human rights are violated?
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 2.57 km/h