Cooperating with Iran is a Necessity for Armenia: Expert
On April 2, 2015, in the Swiss city of Lausanne, Iran and the international mediators, Russia, the United States, China, France, the United Kingdom and Germany, reached an agreement on Iran's nuclear program.
However, US President Donald Trump has been criticizing Barack Obama for such a deal since the pre-election period. Trump urges European allies to ratify the agreement’s ''terrible flaws'' otherwise threatening to restore sanctions against Iran. On May 8, the United States announced that it had withdrawn from a nuclear deal with Iran.
Other parties of the deal, France, Great Britain, Germany, Russia and China, urge Washington to remain loyal to the document by which Tehran has agreed to limit its nuclear experiments if the western sanctions were eliminated in return.
In connection with the recent developments in Iran's nuclear program, "Armedia" IAA talked to expert Armen Israelyan.
- Mr. Israelyan, how do you assess the recent developments around Iran's nuclear deal?
- This has been the US President Trump's political plan since the past year, which he put it forward after assuming his office. But all this is also connected with the domestic political developments in Iran as it is obvious that the opponents of the Iranian President Rouhani's government, the conservative circles, and most of the military leadership were against the signing of a nuclear deal and that the main accents of the opponents during the presidential elections of 2017 were related to that agreement. They also accused Rouhani of failing, believing that he did not make any positive changes in Iran. In other words, we can state that the US has also taken into consideration the inner-political moods of Iran.
From all of this we can only suppose what kind of developments can be expected in the upcoming elections in Iran.
- US continues to extend sanctions against Iran. What can follow such developments?
- The economy of Iran is in a very difficult situation and one of the most important challenges of the 2nd term of Iranian President Rouhani's job is to bring the economy out of that situation. But it is also worth noting that Iran is in a political crisis with a variety of issues as well.
After the nuclear agreement, Iran was able to establish economic ties with a small number of countries. It can be said that Iran was trying to make investments in banking transactions and other means to regulate economic issues.
Therefore, it can be said that the introduction of US sanctions will have a negative impact on the Iranian economy.
- What are the challenges for the region and, in particular, for Armenia, in the context of developments in the nuclear program and the possible sanctions by the United States?
- Regardless of the kind of rhetoric used by the Iranian authorities in their propaganda, we understand that it aims only to calm down the society. However, it is obvious that Iran itself realizes that it faces serious problems.
As for the region, in particular the border with the neighboring countries, it should be noted that trade transactions and transfers were hardly realized. And if these countries are under pressure for dealing with Iran, it will be difficult to avoid problems. It should be noted that in the last few days banks in Georgia blocked the accounts of Iranian citizens. Some officials link this fact with the US sanctions, and some with the money laundering rules. Nevertheless, it can be stated that Georgia, with which Iran has been actively engaged in economic cooperation recently, has already faced problems.
And as for Armenia, we have certain hopes and projects related to Iran. However, if we clearly formulate our agenda and ensure smooth implementation of the ongoing programs, at least we will not be "threatened" at this stage, because we do not implement such programs that can be considered problematic.
It is also worth mentioning that we have a precedent in cooperating with Iran: Iran-Armenia gas pipeline has been built during severe sanctions against Iran.
In the period of heavy economic sanctions against Iran, Armenia has been able to cooperate with its European and American counterparts, clearly explaining that cooperation with Iran is necessity for Armenia taking into account country’s total blockade. We must state that Armenia has always followed international laws, resolutions of the UN Security Council.
- Iran President: Tehran hasn’t Closed Window on Talks with US He said Iran has no other option but to defy those who imposed sanctions on Tehran, “but we have not closed the window on talks.”
- Trump Tells Iran Return of Missing FBI Agent would be "Very Positive Step" “At the same time, upon information & belief, Iran is, & has been, enriching uranium. THAT WOULD BE A VERY BAD STEP!,” he said.
- Iran Restarts Uranium Enrichment at Fordow According to Behrouz Kamalvandi, Iran’s stockpile of enriched uranium, now around 500 kilograms, would increase by some 6 kilograms per day with the resumption of enrichment at Fordow.
- Netanyahu: Israel will Never Allow Iran to Build Nuclear Weapons "I repeat here once again: We will never let Iran develop nuclear weapons. This is not only for our security and our future; it’s for the future of the Middle East and the world,״ he added.
- Iranian President Announces Another Break from Nuclear Deal The centrifuges would be injected with the uranium gas as of Wednesday, Rouhani said.
- Trump and Netanyahu Discuss ‘Threat from Iran’ The two last spoke on November 19, when Netanyahu thanked the president for Washington’s decision to repudiate a State Department legal opinion that said West Bank settlements were illegal.
- Six More Countries Join Trump-Busting Iran Barter Group The system has not yet enabled any transactions.
- Iranian Foreign Minister Held Talks With a Taliban Delegation Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif held talks in Tehran with a Taliban delegation led by Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, one of the group's founders, the official IRNA news agency reported on Wednesday.
- Iran Says Pro-Government Rally to Show who 'Real' Iranians are After days of state-sponsored marches in dozens of cities to condemn the unrest, Iran is holding a pro-government rally in the capital to be addressed by the commander of the elite Revolutionary Guards,...
- Terror Sponsors Must Stop Blaming Iran for Their Problems: Foreign Ministry "The very countries that spawn and promote terrorism and extremism and have interfered in the internal affairs of others by violating the principle of good neighborliness, and [those who] have weakened...
Only Turkish Parliament Can Heal the Wound of the Armenian People: Garo Paylan
Artsakh Republic President Convened a Working Consultation in Martakert Region
Turkey summons US ambassador over Armenian genocide resolution
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
PM Receives Newly Appointed IMF Armenia Mission Head
No Document Discussed at Negotiations: Armenia’s MFA Spokesperson Refutes Mammadyarov’s Claims About "Lavrov’s Plan"
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Language of Threats Not Work in Armenia and Artsakh’s Case: Anna Naghdalyan
Cher Reacts to Senate Armenian Genocide Resolution
EU Leaders Agree to Extend Sanctions Against Russia for 6 Months
"Disgraceful": Turkey Lambasts US Senate for Armenian Genocide Vote
Armenia’s PM to Depart to St. Petersburg Next Week
Armenian FM Calls US Senate Resolution 150 a Decisive Step in Serving Justice
His Holiness Garegin II Welcomes US Senate Passage of Armenian Genocide Recognition Resolution
US Senate’s Resolution is the Victory of Justice and Truth – PM Pashinyan
UN General Assembly Adopts World Chess Day Resolution Tabled by Armenia
Serj Tankian Thanked American Lawmakers
Roadways in RA are Mainly Passable
Congratulatory Message by Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan to the Newly Elected Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople
Angela Merkel is Named the World's Most Powerful Woman by Forbes
Komitas Statue to Be Unveiled in Front of Istanbul’s Armenian Patriarchate
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Revolution Turns into Ashes when the Given Promise Isn't Kept: Aram I Catholicos
Artsakh Republic President Held a Working Consultation with the Representatives of the Askeran Regional Administration and Community Heads
December 10: Artsakh People Voted for Independence
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Garo Paylan asked Turkish DM to Clarify Whether Turkish General Staff Has an Action Plan of Airstrikes against Armenia
Statement by MFA of Armenia Regarding the Statements by the President of Turkey on Armenian Genocide Made in the United States
Azerbaijan Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border around 140 Times in One Week
Colonel Arayik Grigoryan Appointed Frst Deputy Director of the Artsakh Republic National Security Service
Wind: 3 km/h