Zakharova: Deporting Russian Citizens of Armenian Origin from Azerbaijan Is Gross Violation
The deportation of Russian citizens from Azerbaijan for ethnic reasons is a gross violation of the rights of those persons, Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said during today’s briefing, reports Armenpress.
"I have seen many reports about this, including in social networks. A similar incident was also registered during the holidays, but we have also seen similar cases in the past. We have regularly raised this issue before the Azerbaijani leadership, we have said that unfortunately such cases become a tradition, incorrect and bad tradition", Zakharova said.
She said recently a report has been posted in social networks, but it is not the first case of discriminatory attitude towards Russian citizens for ethnic reasons. Maria Zakharova said at least 16 cases of rejecting the visit to Azerbaijan for ethnic reasons have been recorded in 2018. In line with this, the citizens of Russia have been kept in the airport for hours, and then were deported violently, but no official reason has been mentioned. "Such facts, in our opinion, are gross violations of the rights of the citizens of Russia", Zakharova said.
She noted that these cases contradict the spirit of several Russian-Azerbaijani contracts and agreements. "The Russian foreign ministry has repeatedly drawn the attention of the Azerbaijani side on the impermissibility of the current situation. We called on them to stop this practice. It is not in line with the friendly relations of the two countries", she said.
Maria Zakharova informed that the Azerbaijani side assured to improve the situation.
On December 29 citizen of Russia Kristina Gevorgyan said on Facebook that she has spent 13 hours at the Baku airport. She informed that she planned to celebrate the New Year holidays in Azerbaijan, but was stopped at the passport control point. She informed that except from her two other families were also not allowed to visit Baku due to one of the relatives holding an Armenian surname.
- Azerbaijan Has to Pay 15,000 Euros to Khadija Ismayilova The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) on January 10 announced the decision on the complaint of the journalist Khadija Ismayilova against the government of Azerbaijan,
- Azerbaijan Leader's Daughters Tried to Buy £60m London Home with Offshore Funds A close associate of the president, Javad Marandi, introduced the Aliyeva sisters to Child & Child, the tribunal was told. Sharif then set up a British Virgin Islands company, Exaltation Ltd, on their...
- Azerbaijan's Double Game in the Context of Turkish-Israeli Tension Another aggravation in Turkish-Israeli relations occurred after US President Donald Trump decided to move his country's embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, which aroused discontent among Palestinians who...
- Iran and Azerbaijan Plan to Form Joint Oil Company According to the Iranian official, the company will be formed within the framework of a deal recently signed between the two parties.
- Investigation Group Confirmed Systemic Corruption in PACE by Azerbaijan In a 219-page report published on Sunday night, a panel of three judges concluded that "a number of former Pace MPs ... had acted contrary to the Pace code of conduct".
"If You are Ready to Make Your Move, Come to Armenia, Get Rich and Enrich" – Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Swiss Businessmen in Zurich
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message to Swedish PM
Nikol Pashinyan Meets Businessmen in Zurich to Discuss Investment Projects for Armenia
PACE Elects its Vice-Presidents
President of Belarus: Armenia Remains a Reliable Partner for Belarus
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
UK Ratifies EU-Armenia Agreement
"I Feel Like I'm an Honorary Armenian": Serena Williams Starts Learning Armenian
Italian Deputy PM Calls on EU to Sanction France
Israeli Military Strikes Iranian Targets in Syria
May to Focus on Irish Backstop in her Brexit 'Pan B'
Armenia President Personally Invited to Attend Davos World Economic Forum
Kiev hosts Armenian Culture Week
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
World's Oldest Man Dies at His Home in Northern Japan
Trump Claims Plan to End Longest Government Shutdown in History
Artsakh Republic President Addressed a Congratulatory Message on the Day of Judicial System Worker.
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
German MP Criticized for Receiving Money from Azerbaijan
5 Day Weather Forecast
Congratulatory Address by Acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan on New Year and Christmas Holidays (VIDEO)
Erdogan Officially Declared 2019 as the Year of Armenian Portasar
His Holiness Karekin II Catholicos of All Armenians Sends a Message on the Occasion of the Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Artsakh Republic President Addressed Congratulatory Message on the Occasion of New Year and Christmas Holidays
Pompeo: US Withdrawal from Syria doesn't Change Mission to Destroy ISIS and Stop Iran's Influence in the Mideast
Eve of Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Candlelight (Lucernarium) Divine Liturgy
'For the Sake of Armenia': Saghatelyan, Bekaryan, Hakobyan and Farmanyan Have Established a Media Company
President Armen Sarkissian Met with the Minister of State of the United Arab Emirates Sultan Al Jaber
Father Ghevond Mayilyan: Christ Left the Heavens and Descended into the Earth for Us, Bringing Salvation and Life
President of Artsakh Visits Sports-Cultural Center Construction Site under Development in Stepanakert