Azerbaijan Rejects Call for Freeing Armenian Hostages, Continuing Manipulations over Humanitarian Issues - Artsakh Foreign Ministry
Tert.am contacted Artak Nersisyan, Head of Information and Public Relations Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh) for comments on Azerbaijan's expectations from Armenia on the release of two Azerbaijani citizens.
- How would you comment on the recent statement by the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry that Azerbaijan expects Armenia to release two other Azerbaijani citizens?
- First of all, it should be noted that Azerbaijan’s appeal to the Republic of Armenia is untenable. As to the issue of the Azerbaijani criminals convicted in Artsakh, official Baku must directly appeal to official Stepanakert, which last December, as a gesture of goodwill has expressed readiness to consider within the framework of the law the possibility of early release of Azerbaijani citizen Elnur Huseynzade, who did not commit any grave or particularly grave crime in Artsakh.
At the same time, Foreign Ministry of the Republic of Artsakh called on official Baku to take a reciprocal step and release the Armenian hostages held in Azerbaijan, first of all, those who obviously had health problems. Azerbaijan rejected the proposal, demonstrating an absolute disrespect for its citizens' fate and a full ignorance of its commitments under international humanitarian law. The Azerbaijani authorities' position on the issue leaves no doubt as to the real intentions of official Baku.
In strict observance of the legislation of the Republic of Artsakh, on February 2, 2019, Elnur Huseynzade, a citizen of Azerbaijan convicted in Artsakh for years in prison for illegally crossing the state border (Article 350 of the Criminal Code), was released.
Elnur Huseynzade appealed to the authorities of the Republic of Artsakh, asking them not to return him to Azerbaijan. The possibility of hading him over to a third country is now being considered.
As to Azerbaijan’s speculations over humanitarian affaris, it should be noted that issues regarding persons, who have committed grave crimes are on a different plane. Dilham Askerov and Shahbaz Guliyev, whom Azerbaijan refers to, are criminals who are found guilty of kidnapping and killing an underaged boy, based on the national hatred, as well as a range of other crimes committed in the territory of the Republic of Artsakh.
It is also worth recalling the ill-fated precedents in Azerbaijan of glorifying such criminals as heroes.
- OSCE to Conduct Monitoring on Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border The authorities of the Republic of Artsakh have expressed their readiness to assist in conducting the monitoring and to ensure the security of the OSCE Mission members.
- Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs to Meet Soon He noted that there is an agreement between the foreign ministers of the two countries and the co-chairs to announce the meeting simultaneously.
- Maria Zakharova about Pashinyan's Statement "Artsakh is Armenia" Russian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova was asked to express Moscow's attitude as one of the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group to the statement of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia...
- Armenia Committed to its Approaches, FM Comments on NK Talks Speaking of the dynamics of the peace process, Minister Mnatsakanyan said: “We haven’t taken any break since May of the last year and have been engaged in the process without any delay.”
- Armenia Soldier Wounded by Azerbaijan The Investigative Committee of Armenia has launched a criminal case into this incident, and on the grounds of attempted murder.
Blackout Hits 4 Nations in Central America, Affects Millions
Trump Says U.S. Reaches Trade Deals With Japan, No Word on Cars
OSCE to Conduct Monitoring on Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border
Trump: ‘We’d Certainly Like to Avoid’ War With Iran
Israelis Vote in Second General Election in Five Months
PM Attends Housewarming Ceremonies in Jrashen Community of Lori Marz
UN General Assembly 74th Session to Open September 17
Bako Sahakyan Received Representatives of the "My Step Foundation"
Pashinyan Reiterates Position on Acceptable Karabakh Resolution
Artsakh Republic Parliament Speaker Invites Alexis Ohanian to Visit Artsakh
Artsakh Republic President Attended a Solemn Opening Ceremony of a Capitally Renovated School in Kashatagh
Hassan Rouhani Is Expected in Yerevan on October 1: Pashinyan
Armenia's President Signs Decree to Dismiss NSS Chief
A Historic Agreement between Serbs and Albanians Is the Only Way to Achieve Lasting Peace: Serbian Prime Minister
National Security Service Director of Armenia Resigns
Trump Denies Media Reports He’s Willing to Meet With Iran With "No Conditions"
Iran Denies Launching Drone Attacks on Saudi Oil Facility
Trump: U.S. ‘Locked And Loaded’ For Response To Attack On Saudi Oil Sites
"Armenia has been and Remains a Crossroad of Civilizations" – President Sarkissian
Trump Authorizes Release of Emergency Oil Reserve "if Needed" after Attack on Saudi Oil Sites
Famous Russian Singer Lyubov Uspenskaya Performed an Armenian Song in Azerbaijan (VIDEO)
The Government Dismisses the Mayors, then Beats the Deputies Elected by the People: Garo Paylan
Models and Celebrities Love Kim Kardashian's Vogue Arabia Cover
Armenia PM: If Government Were Subjected to Pressure on Teghut Matter, Over 900 People Would Again Be Unemployed
Commemoration of Sts. John the Baptist and Job the Righteous
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Government Sets up Terms and Conditions for Affordable Long-Term Mortgage Lending for Contract Servicemen
CSTO Will Always Welcome Cooperation with all the Former Republics of the USSR: Deputy Prime Minister of Russia
Jerusalem Municipality Plans to Reconstruct the Armenian Patriarchate Road
Mine Exploitation Means 10-25 Blasts a Day, with Each Blast Raising 25 Tons of Dust: Ex-Governor of Vayots Dzor
Wind: 6 km/h