EU’s Dispute Mechanism "A Strategic Mistake": FM Zarif
Minister of State at the German Federal Foreign Office Niels Annen held a meeting with the Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif in New Delhi, mehrnews reports.
The meeting took place on the sidelines of the Raisina Dialogue conference in New Delhi on Tuesday evening.
The senior Iranian and German diplomats discussed the latest developments surrounding the implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and the regional conditions, particularly the situation in Afghanistan.
In the meeting, the Iranian foreign minister criticized the Europeans’ failure to honor their JCPOA commitments and slammed their move to trigger the dispute resolution mechanism as baseless in legal terms and a strategic mistake in political terms.
Annen, for his part, stressed that Germany attaches significance to the relations with the Islamic Republic of Iran, adding, “Our stance is defending and supporting the JCPOA, and the spirit of the letter from the three European ministers is not the destruction of the JCPOA.”
France, Britain, and Germany on Tuesday announced their decision to trigger the dispute mechanism in the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
After the mechanism is implemented, Iran would be given 15 days to resolve the dispute with the three European signatories to the nuclear deal.
Reacting to the development, the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Abbas Mousavi, said the Islamic Republic would respond “firmly, decisively, and aptly” to the unconstructive measure taken by the Europeans against the deal.
The nuclear deal has come under increasing strain ever since President Donald Trump announced the US withdrawal from the deal in May 2018 and unleashed the “toughest ever” sanctions against Iran despite global criticism.
Earlier this week, the US president urged other signatories of the deal to pull out of what had remained of the JCPOA, promising to impose new economic sanctions on Tehran.
In response, Tehran has so far rowed back on its nuclear commitments five times, but stressed that it will reverse its measures as soon as Europe finds practical ways to shield mutual trade from the US sanctions.
- Iran's Nuclear Enrichment at Higher Level than before 2015 Deal: Rouhani Iran has gradually scaled back its commitments under the nuclear deal in retaliation to Washington’s withdrawal from the pact in 2018 and its reimposition of sanctions that have crippled the country’s...
- Dispute Resolution Mechanism On Iranian Deal To Be Launched The UK, Germany and France will notify the EU on Tuesday that they are launching a dispute resolution mechanism as part of the implementation of the Iranian deal (JCPOA), Reuters reported referring to...
- Johnson: Let's Do a 'Trump Deal' to Replace the Iran Nuclear Deal British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday called on U.S. President Donald Trump to replace the Iranian nuclear deal with his own new agreement.
- Pence: Trump Will Ask European Allies to Withdraw from the Disastrous Iran Nuclear Deal The agreement has been unraveling since Trump pulled the United States from it.
- Rouhani Tells European Council President Iran Is Seeking to Strengthen Nuclear Deal The statement comes hours after UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said that he would be looking "hard" at what happens next with the Iranian nuclear deal following Tehran's refusal to comply with the JCPOA....
Serzh Sargsyan Extends Condolences on Untimely and Tragic Demise of Georgi Kutoyan
The Plane Crash Was a Bitter Accident: Iranian Supreme Leader
Canadian Armenian Genocide Survivor Eugenie Papazian Passes Away at Age 105
Lavrov on His Possible Appointment in New Government
Oil Ends Week Steady as China Growth Offsets Trade Deal Optimism
German Chancellor Merkel to Visit Turkey on January 24
Former NSS Director Found Shot Dead in Yerevan
Sitting of Inter-Parliamentary Committee on Cooperation between the Legislative Bodies of Armenia and Artsakh Will Be Held on January 18
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
France to Deploy Aircraft Carrier to Middle East
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Saudi Arabia Paid $500 Million for Cost of US Troops in Country
Armenia’s MFA Reports about Meetings on Karabakh after Agreeing All Details: Spokesperson
11 US troops Wounded in Last Week's Iran Attack on Iraq Base
1999 Parliament Attack Ringleader Addresses Letter to PM From Prison
Andy Madadian Becomes First Iranian on Hollywood's Walk of Fame
Ukrainian PM Resigns
EU Follows Closely Developments Over Armenia’s Constitutional Court
Diaspora-Armenian Specialists Can Participate in Armenia’s Governance: New Project Coming Soon
Garegin Baghramyan: Gazprom Armenia Might Submit Bid to Raise Natural Gas Tariff
Homemade Armenian Baklava: Kourtney Kardashian's Post Angers Turks
Armenia, Artsakh and the World Around: What the Stars Say
Among His Respective Achievements Alexis Ohanian Mentioned the Visit to Armenia
A. Gundjian, K. Sarkissian Named Members of Order of Canada by Governor-General Julie Payette
Nikol Pashinyan Addresses Congratulatory Message to Armenian People From Republican Square (PHOTOS)
Facebook Removes Hundreds of Georgia Govt Linked Pages
The Biggest Fashion Trends to Wear for Spring/Summer 2020
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan and Catholicos of All Armenians Vsit Army Unit Ahead of Holiday Season (PHOTOS)
Armenia's Constitutional Court Has Been Working under Unprecedented Pressure for the Last 6-7 Months: CC President
Armenia's Speaker of Parliament Visited Several North-Eastern Border Positions to Congratulate on New Year
Wind: 6 km/h