EU’s Dispute Mechanism "A Strategic Mistake": FM Zarif
Minister of State at the German Federal Foreign Office Niels Annen held a meeting with the Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif in New Delhi, mehrnews reports.
The meeting took place on the sidelines of the Raisina Dialogue conference in New Delhi on Tuesday evening.
The senior Iranian and German diplomats discussed the latest developments surrounding the implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and the regional conditions, particularly the situation in Afghanistan.
In the meeting, the Iranian foreign minister criticized the Europeans’ failure to honor their JCPOA commitments and slammed their move to trigger the dispute resolution mechanism as baseless in legal terms and a strategic mistake in political terms.
Annen, for his part, stressed that Germany attaches significance to the relations with the Islamic Republic of Iran, adding, “Our stance is defending and supporting the JCPOA, and the spirit of the letter from the three European ministers is not the destruction of the JCPOA.”
France, Britain, and Germany on Tuesday announced their decision to trigger the dispute mechanism in the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
After the mechanism is implemented, Iran would be given 15 days to resolve the dispute with the three European signatories to the nuclear deal.
Reacting to the development, the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Abbas Mousavi, said the Islamic Republic would respond “firmly, decisively, and aptly” to the unconstructive measure taken by the Europeans against the deal.
The nuclear deal has come under increasing strain ever since President Donald Trump announced the US withdrawal from the deal in May 2018 and unleashed the “toughest ever” sanctions against Iran despite global criticism.
Earlier this week, the US president urged other signatories of the deal to pull out of what had remained of the JCPOA, promising to impose new economic sanctions on Tehran.
In response, Tehran has so far rowed back on its nuclear commitments five times, but stressed that it will reverse its measures as soon as Europe finds practical ways to shield mutual trade from the US sanctions.
- US Extends Iran Nuclear Cooperation Sanctions Waivers The move by the Trump administration, which in 2018 withdrew from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and reimposed sanctions on Iran, will allow non-proliferation work to continue at the Arak heavy-water research...
- Iran's Nuclear Enrichment at Higher Level than before 2015 Deal: Rouhani Iran has gradually scaled back its commitments under the nuclear deal in retaliation to Washington’s withdrawal from the pact in 2018 and its reimposition of sanctions that have crippled the country’s...
- Dispute Resolution Mechanism On Iranian Deal To Be Launched The UK, Germany and France will notify the EU on Tuesday that they are launching a dispute resolution mechanism as part of the implementation of the Iranian deal (JCPOA), Reuters reported referring to...
- Johnson: Let's Do a 'Trump Deal' to Replace the Iran Nuclear Deal British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday called on U.S. President Donald Trump to replace the Iranian nuclear deal with his own new agreement.
- Pence: Trump Will Ask European Allies to Withdraw from the Disastrous Iran Nuclear Deal The agreement has been unraveling since Trump pulled the United States from it.
Armenia's PM Visit to Netherlands Postponed
Coronavirus-Infected 78-Year-Old Patient Dies in Yerevan
EU Will Provide €51 Million to Armenia to Fight against COVID-19
April Aggression by Azerbaijan only Strengthened the Determination of Artsakh People: Artsakh MFA
Trump's Net Worth Drops $1 Billion: Forbes
Artsakh Republic President Visited Talish Village
Artsakh has Been and Remains the Victorious Spirit of Our People: Serzh Sargsyan
Number of Coronavirus-Infected Healthcare Workers Increases in Armenia
Central Bank Forecasts 0.7% Economic Growth in Armenia for 2020
Prime Minister Pays Tribute to April War Victims’ Memory
A 68-Year Old Patient Has Died from Coronavirus: Alina Nikoghosyan
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Zarif Rejects Trump’s Claim amid Tensions in Iraq
Five Employees of Vardashen Penitentiary Security Staff Test Positive for COVID-19
Taliban Ready to Begin Cease-Fires in Virus-Hit Afghan Areas: AP
April is Always Followed by May...
OSCE PA Annual Vancouver Session Canceled Because of COVID-19 - OSCE PA
Armenia Records 663 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
President Armen Sarkissian Spoke on the Phone with the Renowned Scientist Joseph Babikian
The Statement of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the Presidential and Parliamentary Elections held in Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) on March 31
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Kim Kardashian Visits White House with Prisoners She Helped Free
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Wind: 5 km/h