Iran Chops off Zeroes from Currency, Changes "Rial" to "Toman"
Iranian lawmakers approved on Monday a monetary bill to shave four zeroes off the national currency., Mehr News Agency reports
As per the bill "Reforming Monetary and Banking Law", the monetary unit will change officially from the rial to the commonly used toman.
Furthermore, the minor monetary unit of the new currency will be the "parseh".
So, as per the newly ratified law, 10,000 rials will be equal to 1 toman and each toman will be equal to 100 parseh.
The parity rate of foreign currencies will be set and adjusted by the Central Bank of Iran (CBI) as per the new currency system.
The Parliament has given the government a maximum of two years as a transition period to implement the law and replace the banknotes and coins.
Accordingly, both rial and toman will be valid during the transition period. After that phase, all financial commitments based on the rial will be fulfilled in toman.
According to CBI, there are 8 billion pieces of banknotes circulating in the country and regularly impose high costs of printing new money on the government.
The idea of fewer zeros has been floated for almost 16 years. The initiative to change the currency was first proposed by the government in August.
- Iran Won’t Tolerate any Border Change in Region – Chief of General Staff "We do not seek conflicts and wars, but we do not remain silent when it is necessary to resist them", he said.
- Any Change of Internationally Recognized Borders in Region is Unacceptable – Iranian President to Erdogan "The basis of our policy in the region is that the fates of the countries must be determined by themselves and that their national sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected" Raisi told Erdogan...
- Iran Signs Memorandum on Commitments in SCO A memorandum on Iran's commitments to the SCO was signed today. This paves the way for the country to become a full member of the SCO, the Foreign Ministry spokesman said on the sidelines of the summit.
- Geopolitical Change in Region is Unacceptable – Says Iran The FM stated that "any region's geopolitical change is a red line and unacceptable."
- Iranian Deputy Defense Minister Arrives In Azerbaijan In the exhibition, Iran has showcased some of its defense industry capabilities in the fields of ground-, air-, and sea combat and a number of new systems in the fields of electro-magnetics, telecommunications,...
Without Artsakh there is no Armenia, without Armenia it is obvious what fate our Diaspora will have: David Babayan
Meeting of Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Iran
Armenia-Azerbaijan Border Situation Relatively Stable as of 10:30am
Feast of the Holy Cross of Varague
We Continue to Urge the Parties to Engage in Peace Process - Blinken
David Babayan Met with Senior Staff Members of Hayastan All-Armenian Fund
MoD: One of Divisions of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Went on a Provocation
Armenian, Georgian Prime Ministers meet in New York
In a Meeting with Charles Michel, Nikol Pashinyan Emphasizes the Need for Addressed Assessments Over Azerbaijani Aggression
Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary General António Guterres
Kremlin Spokesman Denies Reports of Plans to Call Up 1.2 Mln Russians
Pashinyan Presents the Consequences of Azerbaijan's Aggression to the President of Slovenia
Reports on Evacuations in Tavush Border Towns Are Fake News: Governor’s Office
We Call on Azerbaijan to Return the Troops to their Initial Positions: US Embassy to Armenia
President Harutyunyan Received Members of the "Free Homeland-UCA" Parliamentary Faction
After Azeri Attacks on Armenia, US Embassy Issues Travel Warning to its Employees to Several Locations
No Changes in Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border
Trump Warns US 'Is Going to Hell' and Needs Strong Leadership
Deputy FM, CSTO Chief Discuss Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border
The Meeting of the Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Jordan
Alen Simonyan’s Congratulations to Artur Tovmasyan on Artsakh Independence Day
Azerbaijan Returns Five POWs to Armenian Side
Azeri Propaganda Spreads Fake Videos, Old Gootage From 2020 War
Ukrainian General Estimates Kiev’s Losses at Hundreds of Thousands since Feb
Latest Events on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border Have Nothing to Do with Karabakh: Putin
Ararat Mirzoyan Received the Delegation of the Deputies of the National Assembly of Artsakh
State Department Responds to Turkey's Claims: Greek Islands Sovereignty is not Disputed
Why Do We Need Such a World if There is no Artsakh There: David Babayan
Russia, China Can Reach $200 Bln in Trade Turnover Soon: Putin
Armenia, Turkey, Azerbaijan Leaders to Attend Shanghai Cooperation Organization Summit
Wind: 1.54 km/h