Iran jails U.S. Businessman, Possibly Jeopardizing Biden's Plans for Diplomacy with Tehran
Only weeks after the U.S. election and three days after an Iranian nuclear scientist was assassinated, Iranian authorities convicted a U.S. businessman on spying charges, a family friend said, NBC reports.
The case threatens to complicate plans by the next administration to pursue diplomacy with Iran, as President-elect Joe Biden has said he would be open to easing sanctions on Tehran if the regime returned to compliance with a 2015 nuclear agreement.
The man, Emad Shargi, 56, who is Iranian American, was summoned to a Tehran court Nov. 30 and told that he had been convicted of espionage without a trial and sentenced to 10 years, a family friend said.
Shargi's family has not heard from him for more than six weeks, the family said in a statement.
Only a year earlier, in December 2019, an Iranian court had cleared Shargi, but the regime withheld his Iranian and U.S. passports.
The about-face by the Iranian authorities took place only weeks after Biden won the U.S. presidential election and three days after the killing of a leading nuclear scientist and senior defense official, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, east of Tehran. Iran blamed Israel for the assassination; Israel has declined to comment.
- Iran Won’t Tolerate any Border Change in Region – Chief of General Staff "We do not seek conflicts and wars, but we do not remain silent when it is necessary to resist them", he said.
- Any Change of Internationally Recognized Borders in Region is Unacceptable – Iranian President to Erdogan "The basis of our policy in the region is that the fates of the countries must be determined by themselves and that their national sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected" Raisi told Erdogan...
- Iran Signs Memorandum on Commitments in SCO A memorandum on Iran's commitments to the SCO was signed today. This paves the way for the country to become a full member of the SCO, the Foreign Ministry spokesman said on the sidelines of the summit.
- Geopolitical Change in Region is Unacceptable – Says Iran The FM stated that "any region's geopolitical change is a red line and unacceptable."
- Iranian Deputy Defense Minister Arrives In Azerbaijan In the exhibition, Iran has showcased some of its defense industry capabilities in the fields of ground-, air-, and sea combat and a number of new systems in the fields of electro-magnetics, telecommunications,...
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia, the U.S. State Secretary and the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan
Ukrainian President Zelensky invokes decree on impossibility of holding talks with Putin
I highly appreciate the efforts of the United States for assisting to return our 17 POW’s: Pashinyan
Azerbaijan returns 17 Armenian POWs to the Armenian side with the mediation of the USA
Azerbaijani special services spread false rumors: NSS of Artsakh
Azerbaijan seeks to have a corridor toward Nakhijevan out of Armenian’s control: Iranian official
Cyprus Strongly Condemns Executions of Armenian POWs by Azeri Troops
Ararat Mirzoyan Meet With the IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi
Greece Strongly Condemns Execution of Armenian POWs by Azerbaijani Forces
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
Ensuring Armenia’s security is among Russia’s priorities, says Ambassador Kopyrkin
Armenian Prime Minister Receives IAEA Director General
UNCTAD Warns of Policy-Induced Global Recession
Parliament Majority Leader Calls on US Congressmen to Continue Pressuring Azerbaijan to Suppress Aggression
Artsakh President Offers Ruben Vardanyan to Become State Minister
Catholicos Garegin II to hold separate discussions with former presidents of Armenia and Artsakh
NA President’s Statement on Resignation Letter of RA NA Deputy Vahagn Hovakimyan
France Calls for Releasing all Armenian Prisoners Who are Still Detained
National Assembly Begins Work of Regular Sittings
"Perpetrators of Violence Must be Held to Account" – Canadian FM
Azerbaijan Returns Five POWs to Armenian Side
Azeri Propaganda Spreads Fake Videos, Old Gootage From 2020 War
Mutual recognition of territorial integrity must be basis of peace treaty: Pashinyan
EU Condemns Russian Annexation, will Never Accept "Illegal" Referendums
Meeting of Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Iran
Erdogan and Pashinyan may meet soon: Rubinyan
Zelensky says ready for dialogue with Russia, but not with Putin
Armenia’s Security Council Secretary holds meetings at CIA headquarters
Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary General António Guterres
Latest Events on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border Have Nothing to Do with Karabakh: Putin
Wind: 1.54 km/h