Democracy is a Continuous Process to Ensure Accountability, to Protect Human Rights: Lynne Tracy
United States Ambassador to Armenia Lynne Tracy commented on the actions of the Armenian police during the ongoing demonstrations in the context of police reforms, Armenpress reports.
Speaking at the Armenian Forum for Democracy, Ambassador Tracy said there are concerns, they’ve seen images on police officers using force against demonstrators.
Ambassador Tracy said these episodes must be investigated and there should be accountability. ''I have noticed the government’s approach to investigate these episodes, to carry out investigations, and there is also an approach of respecting the rights of the demonstrators and the work of journalists. Of course the demonstrators also have an obligation to demonstrate peacefully that doesn’t create a chaotic situation and doesn’t violate the rights of others,'' she said.
The Ambassador said that democracy is a process for ensuring progress. ''People write me about police reforms and ask me ‘is this your democracy?’ No, democracy isn’t perfect, democracy is a continuous process to ensure accountability, to protect human rights, but this isn’t just one part. In case of the police, what matters is the accountability of their actions,'' the ambassador said.
She added that problems concerning police conduct occur in the United States as well. She said the United States seeks to carry out reforms in the area. ''Meaning, this isn’t something that happens only in Armenia. What matters is for accountability to exist in these issues,'' Ambassador Tracy said.
- US Welcomes First Meeting of Armenian, Azerbaijani Border Commissions: Blinken The U.S. supports the EU-brokered conversations between Azerbaijan and Armenia and encourages continued positive momentum and bilateral dialogue
- United States Gained Good Partner in Person of Armenian Government: Ambassador Tracy You can’t achieve success in other areas if you don’t make investments in human capital.
- Peaceful Protests an Element of Open Political System: US Comments on Ongoing Rallies in Armenia “We had a Strategic Dialogue with the Armenians last week, it was in that forum that we reaffirmed our mutual commitment to Armenia’s democratic development and the United States support for lasting...
- FM Ararat Mirzoyan Meets With US Senate’s Republican Leader Mitch McConnell Ararat Mirzoyan presented to his interlocutor the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh. The importance of US mediation efforts for the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict as an OSCE Minsk Group...
- Armenian FM Meets with President of National Democratic Institute in Washington D.C. Ararat Mirzoyan highlighted the importance of reopening the office of the National Democratic Institute in Armenia after the 2018 Velvet Revolution.
Pashinyan Receives the Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of the Islamic Republic of Iran
The Secretary of the Security Council Armen Grigoryan Met With Ali Shamkhani
Hakob Arshakyan Receives Head of Pan-Armenian Youth Football Association (PAYFA)
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson Resigns
NA President’s Statement on Resignation Letter of RA NA Deputy Artur Ghazinyan
Meeting of Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan with Secretary-General of the UN World Tourism Organization Zurab Pololikashvili
The Government Plans to Establish the Possibility of Granting Deferment from Military Conscription for Students with Priority and Important Professions
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Futsal World Cup Main Round Draw is Known
Armenia PM instruction: Our Departments Need to Work in Coordination with Turkey Departments
Feast of the Holy Translators St. Sahak and St. Mesrop
Secretary of Supreme National Security Council of Iran arrives in Armenia
Lars Road Open For All Types of Vehicles
Presentation of the Book "The Artsakh Issue and the Foreign Policy of the Republic of Artsakh" by the Foreign Ministry of Artsakh Took Place in Stepanakert
PM Pashinyan Holds Phone Talk with Vladimir Putin
Defense Minister: Structural Changes In Armenia Army Leadership Are Necessary
Armenia FM Holds Private Talk With Spain Counterpart
Explosion Occurred in a Bank in Ashtarak Town
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Vice speaker: Lot to be Done On iImplementation of Bundestag Resolution on Armenian Genocide Recognition
Alexander Leonovich Kemurdzhian, Designer of the First Planet Rover
Andranik Iosifyan from Artsakh: Father of Electromechanics, "Chief Electrician" of Missile Technology
Michel Matthew Ter-Pogossian, the ''Father'' of Positron Emission Tomography
The Foreign Minister of Armenia Met with the Speaker of the National Assembly of Bulgaria
Artsakh's NSS Urges Against Spread of Dubious News
The People of Artsakh Have the Same Rights as Everyone: Ararat Mirzoyan
Artsakh’s NSS Reveals Case of High Treason
Armenia is Not Only Russia’s Partner, it is a Strategic Ally, Putin Tells Khachaturyan
It Is Necessary to Work Closely to Launch Crisis Prevention Mechanisms: Pashinyan to CSTO Foreign Ministers
China Rejects Wuhan Lab Leak Theory, Calls for Investigating US Facilities
Wind: 6.17 km/h