2 dead, 2 injured after fire at lodging section of Armenian Catholic Church in Istanbul
Two people died and 2 others were injured after a fire broke out in the lodging section adjacent to the Holy Saviour (known as Surp Pırgiç church) Armenian Catholic Church in Istanbul’s Beyoğlu district .
The fire erupted at 21:45, January 23, Istanbul-based Zhamanak newspaper’s Editor-in-chief Ara Gochunyan told Armenpress.
He said the firefighter-rescue team arrived immediately. Armenian Catholic Archeparch of Istanbul Archbishop Lévon Zékiyan was also on the scene.
"The fire broke out in an old guesthouse which was supposed to undergo restoration, but this tragedy took place. 7 people were living in the guesthouse, two of them died, and two others are hospitalized," Gochunyan said. He said they don’t have any information on what caused the fire.
The fire was extinguished around 2:00, January 24.
"Thank God, the church itself is preserved, the fire did not reach the shrine," Gochunyan said.
- Turkey is sending Cold War-era cluster bombs to Ukraine – FP The weapons are designed to destroy tanks by bursting into smaller submunitions, which can linger on the battlefield for years if they do not immediately explode. Each round scatters about 88 bomblets.
- Fire erupts in Turkey’s Black Sea port of Samsun following explosion The causes for the explosion that led to a fire are currently being analyzed.
- EU Urges Turkey to Stop Offering Russia Solutions to Circumvent Sanctions Speaking about the EU's engagement with Turkey, an important neighbor, EU partner and candidate country for EU membership, we stress the importance of ensuring that Turkey's foreign policy is aligned with...
- Any Change of Internationally Recognized Borders in Region is Unacceptable – Iranian President to Erdogan "The basis of our policy in the region is that the fates of the countries must be determined by themselves and that their national sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected" Raisi told Erdogan...
- Azerbaijan, Turkey FMs Discuss Regional Situation During the phone talk, the two FMs exchanged opinions on the current regional situation and the agenda of bilateral cooperation.
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 0.51 km/h