Learn More about Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh Republic): Shushi
The liberation of Shushi by Armenian armed forces on May 9, 1992 was the first major victory in the Karabakh war. A military operation called "Wedding in the Mountains" was headed by the commander of the self-defense forces Arkady Ter-Tadevosyan.
Territory and Population
Shushi region is the smallest region of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. In the north and east the region borders Askeran region, in the east and south Hadrut region, and the south and west - Kashatagh region. It occupies the territory of 381 square kilometers and includes the entire territory of NKAO Shushi region and a small part of the former Lachin region.
According to 2009 data 4,806 people live in Shushi.
In this small area there are 152 historical and architectural monuments, most of which in the town of Shushi.
One of the main attractions is the Shushi fortress. The walls of the fortress almost completelty preserved till our days are built at the beginning of the eighteenth century by meliks (princes) of Varanda and later by the leaders of nomadic Turkic tribes. One of the four city gates - Yelizavetpol Gate – is the only of the four gates that survived almost intact.
At the end of the XIX century for the religious needs of part of the Islam population, two mosques and prayer houses were built in Shushi.
The main architectural building of Shushi is one of the largest Armenian churches of the world - it is the Church of the Holy Saviour, also called Kazanchetsots, with a height of about 40 meters.
The special flavor of the city is ensured by civil architecture - houses and public buildings, constructed only in Shushi architectural style. The three-storey building of the Real College is of particular interest. It is one of the most famous schools of the South Caucasus. The facilities built in the years 1901-1908, still impresses with their proportions, monumental forms, skilful combination of national and European architectural traditions.
Near Shushi one can find one of the most beautiful places in Karabakh – the Gorge of Unotand. The rocky gorge with over three kilometers and with a depth of nearly 250 meters is covered by dense forests and is a unique natural, historical and architectural complex.
However, to talk about the sights of Shusha region will take a long time - in fact there are many museums, including the open-air, natural monuments and beautiful landscapes that are "better to see once."
Come to Shushi region of the NKR . It will surely be an unforgettable tour!
- Gandzasar: World’s Architectural Masterpiece Today the monastery stand proudly high on the mountains as a symbol of unconquerable will and power of the Armenians, continuing to attack growing number of tourist every year.
- Not Liberated Territories or Something Else, but NKR Regions "Liberated territories" or the use of any other term makes a distinction between the NKR regions, separating the territory of the former Nagorno Karabakh Autonomous Region and surrounding territories....
- Learn More about Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh Republic): Martuni Be sure to come to the NKR Martuni region, relax in the shade of an old plane tree, drink homemade wine of Martuni, and you will have a whole new view towards the world - the way it always happens in Karabakh,...
- Learn More about Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh Republic): Askeran Askeran region (one of the 8 regions of NKR) occupies the central part of NKR. During the Karabakh war the area was of strategic importance for the security of the NKR’s capital Stepanakert.
- Learn More about Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh Republic): Hadrut If Karabakh is a gold ring, in that case Hadrut is the diamond of that ring.
Trump: Iranians Must 'Change Their Tune' before any Meeting
Google Chrome Authorizes Users Without Their Consent
Nikol Pashinyan Visits Armenia Exhibition at New York’s Metropolitan Museum (Photos)
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received the Delegation of the French Town of Alfortville
North Korea Made Great Progress in Denuclearization
Russian President holds phone talks with Israeli PM
First Meeting of EU-RA Partnership Committee in Trade Configuration under the CEPA to Be Held in Yerevan today
Azerbaijani Opposition Figures Oppose Putin's Visit
EU to Set Up a Mechanism to Continue Legitimate Business with Iran
Excessive Drinking Killed over 3 million People in 2016
"Days of Artsakh in France" Festival to be Concluded
PM Nikol Pashinyan Attends Nelson Mandela Peace Summit at UN Headquarters and Delivers a Speech
Nikol Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary-General António Guterres
In theFramework of the Summit of Minds President Met with the Leaders of Over Two Dozen Companies
Poland to be Referred to EU's Top Court
Russia to Send S-300s to Syria within 2 Weeks
Armenian PM Instructs to Set Up Working Group to Study Gas Prices
Moldova Court Suspends President Dodon
Shinzo Abe and Trump Hold Constructive Talks on Trade and North Korea
Rouhani: Americans Want Iran to Have no Security
Pashinyan: Karabakh Should Become a Part of Armenia
Erdogan Wants to Build a Seljuk Style Presidential Palace on Shores of Lake Van
Dan Bilzerian Registers in the Armenian Armed Forces
US Announces Death of ISIS Leader in Afghanistan
Gevorg Harutyunyan Took the Third Place at the "New Wave -2018" International Music Contest
Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Jean-Claude Van Damme to Be on Hand at Comedy Club Festival in Yerevan
"Declaration of Independence Laid Foundation of Artsakh’s State-Building’ – Armenian President Extends Congrats on 27th Anniversary
Dan Bilzerian Heads to Artsakh
In the Past There Were More Armenians in Baku than Azerbaijanis, and More Armenians in Tbilisi than Georgians - Zatulin
Wind: 11.27 km/h