All Conflicts are Unique, but Studying the Experiences of Others Can be Useful
In the framework of the workshop "The Complexity of Peace Processes: the Cases of Northern Ireland and Scotland" held in Yerevan on September 25-28 "Armedia" IAA took an interview from a senior program officer within the Mediation Support Team at the Center for Security Studies (CSS) Anna Hess Sargsyan and the Chairman of NGO "International Centre for Geopolitical Studies" Nato Bachiashvili.
-What is the importance of this kind of seminars?
Anna Hess Sargsyan
- Everything depends on the context. It is important to understand what the relationship of the government with civil society is. Sometimes the parties are sceptical and such workshops give an opportunity to get acquainted with each other, to work in the framework of the same format.
I've had a very interesting experience in Nepal, where the project was implemented not only on the domestic level, but three large groups from Nepal, Pakistan and the Philippines were involved. At the end of the project we saw how the phenomenon of viewing the other side "mysteriously" in negative sense vanished.
- Taking into consideration your experience, can you tell us what practical or tangible results such workshops are usually having?
- Such workshops help to think over the relationships or processes. In the Philippines understanding each other was then expressed in their peacebuilding work. The establishment of human relations and ties helps to coordinate the work and create cooperation.
- What are your expectations from the workshop?
- I think this project is very important. We live in a very unstable region, where the situation changes almost every day and we should be ready to respond to various developments. The format of the workshop is very important, as all of us directly or indirectly are involved in negotiation processes and do our best to find points of intersection. This kind of format gives an opportunity to add something to the work of state institutions.
Of course, all conflicts are unique, maybe those conflicts discussed in this workshop are not that similar to our conflicts, but the experience of resolution of these conflicts can help us acquire skills for the development of further strategies.
We have great expectations for this workshop, which is taking place for the first time in Armenia and then will be held in Georgia. The topics discussed are very important, they are success stories and show us that people were able to peacefully solve their problems.
Tragedy in Azerbaijan: Colors of Armenian Flag 'Discovered' in School Textbooks
Armenia Health Workers Fighting COVID-19 Honored with ''Hero of Our Time'' Special Award
Armenia Minister Meets With ROSATOM Director General in Vienna
Justin Trudeau Felicitates Armenians on Independence Day
Mayor Bowser proclaims September 21 as "Armenian Independence Day" in Washington, DC
Artsakh's Guardian Angel - St. Savior Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (Virtual Tour)
France Determined to Support Armenia in Reforms Process: Macron Sends Congratulatory Message
Armenia 3rd President Sargsyan Visits Yerevan Military Pantheon (PHOTOS)
The Air Temperature Will Not Change Considerably
In His Message To Nikol Pashinyan, Mikhail Mishustin Highlights The Components Of Friendship And Allied Partnership In Russian-Armenian Relations
German President Congratulates Armenian Counterpart on Independence Day
Armenia MOD Has no Information About Death of Azerbaijan Soldier - news.am
We Will Join Efforts To Ensure Artsakh’s And Armenia’s Development: Nikol Pashinyan Meets With Arayik Harutyunyan
PM Watches Festive Flight of Armenian Air Force
Tbilisi TV Tower lit in National Flag Colors of Armenia
PM Pays Tribute to Armenian Soldiers Who Perished for Motherland’s Independence
The Eternity Of Our Sovereign Statehood Is At The Core Of Our National Agenda: Nikol Pashinyan
Today’s Challenges Reaffirm the Importance of our Partnership: Donald Trump Congratulates Nikol Pashinyan
RF President Vladimir Putin Congratulates Armenian Prime Minister on Independence Day
Armenia MOD On Azerbaijan President's Statement: Well, He Will Not Blame Himself
Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the Violation of the Rights of the Officer Gurgen Alaverdyan who Appeared Under the Azerbaijani Jurisdiction
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Iran to Hold Presidential Elections on June 18, 2021
Artsakh Women Participate in 1-Week Combat Preparedness Training at Initiative of Armenian PM’s Wife (PHOTOS)
Internal Investigation to Be Carried Out over the Case of Disoriented Armenian Officer: MOD Spokesperson
Armenia Joined International Religious Freedom Alliance’s COVID-19 and Religious Minorities Pandemic Statement
The Government of Artsakh Also Contributes to the Preservation of the Armenian Community of Lebanon. President Harutyunyan Convoked a Consultation
Artsakh Republic President Approved the New Composition of the Security Council of the Country
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Internal investigation Will Reveal All Circumstances of Disappearance of the Armenian Officer - Defense Minister
Wind: 15 km/h