Tillerson Explains Why US Forces Should Remain in Iraq
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson declared that American forces would hypothetically stay in Iraq in order to defeat the Islamic State group, even if the government in Baghdad requests the U.S. leave, Defense News reports.
Tillerson, appearing with Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis in front of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, indicated American forces have the right to stay in Iraq under the 2001 and 2002 Authorizations for the Use of Military Force (AUMF), a long-standing justification for military action around the globe, until the fight against ISIS is concluded.
The statement came up in response to a question from Sen. Tom Udall, D-N.M., who asked "If U.S. forces are told to leave, will we depart Iraq or will be stay uninvited as our forces are doing in Syria, and under what legal authority will they remain?"
Tillerson noted: "We will remain in Iraq until ISIS is defeated and we are confident that ISIS has been defeated."
- Mike Pompeo Visits Iraq Amid Rising Tensions with Iran The visit came days after the US deployed an aircraft carrier, USS Abraham Lincoln, to the region.
- Trump Wants to Keep US Troops in Iraq to ''to Watch'' Iran Mr. Trump’s comments come as the United States has quietly been negotiating with Iraq for weeks to allow perhaps hundreds of American commandos and support troops now operating in Syria to shift to bases...
- NATO, EU Leaders to Sign Declaration on Enhanced Cooperation: Stoltenberg “NATO and EU leaders plan to sign a new joint declaration in July to further enhance their level of cooperation,” Jens Stoltenberg said at NATO Defense Ministers meeting on Friday.
- Iraqis Vote for Parliamentary Elections Whoever the new parliament chooses as prime minister will face an array of challenges after a three-year war against Islamic State which cost the country about $100 billion.
- The Geography of Turkey's Aggressive Ambitions is Expanding Despite the statement of the Prime Minister of Iraq, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has already stated that if necessary, his country's armed forces can enter Sinjar without warning.
Pashinyan holds meetings over Amulsar gold mine
World Junior Championship: Shant Khachatryan Also Becomes Silver Medalist
Turkish Vehicles Cross Syria’s Border: Syrian Foreign Ministry
5 Day Weather Forecast
Notre Dame: On Monday, Reconstruction will Continue with Preventive Measures
Foreign Minister of the Republic of Artsakh Received the Head of the ICRC Mission
Armenia PM Pashinyan to Hold Closed Meeting with "My Step" Faction
Danish PM Says Trump's Idea of Selling Greenland to U.S. is Absurd
Armenian President Congratulates Afghan Counterpart, People on Independence Day
Lydian International Provides Responses to Environmental Audit Recommendations
Roads in Armenia are Passable: Vanadzor-Alaverdi-Bagratashen Highway is Closed for Truck Traffic
World Junior Championship: Sahak Hovhannisyan – Silver Medalist
Jean-Claude Juncker Cut Holiday Short for Urgent Surgery
Armenian and Russian Defense Ministers Met in Moscow
7th Pan-Armenian Games Closing Ceremony Held in Yerevan
Feast of the Assumption of the Holy Mother of God
Mikael Minasyan: Serzh Sargsyan Will Be Arrested to Sidetrack Armenia Public From Real Issues for a While More (NEWS.am)
Nikol Pashinyan Sums Up the Proceedings of My Step for Kotayk Marz Investment Forum
Organizers Negotiate with Obama for Potential WCIT 2019 Appearance in Yerevan
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
He Will Be Great: Trump Congratulates Boris Johnson on Becoming UK's New PM
“Our Goal is to Make the Startup a Dominant Mindset in Armenia” - PM Meets with Sevan Startup Summit-2009 Participants (PHOTOS)
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Met with Prime Minister of the Australian State of New South Wales Gladys Berejiklian
"The Republic of Armenia Should Reclaim its Once-Glorious Reputation of Industrial Country" - PM Attends "My Step for Shirak Marz" Economic Forum
Armenian Killed in Aleppo
Trump Administration Attacks U.S. Aid Program to Artsakh
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border More than 900 Times
Either President of Constitutional Court Must Step Down or Constitutional Reforms Possible: Lena Nazaryan
"The Authority of Each Officer Should be Much Greater than that of His Epaulettes"- Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Graduates of Military Educational Institutions
Our Strength Comes From our Ideas, Country’s Leaders and Country’s Rating: Security Council Secretary
Wind: 6 km/h