Young Officials Recognize No Borders: Head of Artsakh Shahumyan Region
In the framework of the articles summarizing 2017, "Armedia" IAA has talked with the young leader of Shahumyan region of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh Republic), Harut Mnatsakanyan, referring to the works done in the region and the future plans.
- Mr. Mnatsakanyan, would You, please, summarize the works done by you in 2017? What were the main directions? What are the achievements you would like to indicate?
- Throughout the year little work has been done by my team taking into consideration the fact that I was appointed at the end of September, when, in fact, only few months were left till the end of the year. Still, in that short period of time, rather huge work has been done. They were in the following main directions.
First, the potential of the region for the region's development was revealed. Second, the diagnosis of the problems was made – which are the spheres with the main problems and what are the ways to resolve them?
I should state, that the achievements belong to our region and they are not personalized. Speaking about the achievements, I should identify several important directions.
First, it was the opening of Vardenis-Stepanakert-Martakert highway, the main part of which passes through Shahumyan region. It is impossible to undermine strategic, political and economic role of the highway. It has already become huge impetus for the development of the economy. New infrastructures, various public and other objects have been developed on the highway creating new job places and empowering the connections of the region both with Armenia and capital Stepanakert. It, automatically, results in the political, cultural development of the region as it is impossible to ensure the development of the region without active interactions. The fact that the great part of Yerevan-Stepanakert cargo transportation was carried out by this highway, is a serious indicator.
The second achievement, naturally, is the steps in direction of hydroelectric power station, in particular the opening of Jermajur hydro power station. In 2017, we already had around ten applications for building hydropower plants, for which the area was separated and the big part of the appropriate permits were given. It also means opening great number of job places, the increase of GDP of the region and the whole state.
Third, in 2017, the construction of water plant was completed and according to the preliminary plan it will start operating in 2018.
- What will be the main directions of your work in 2018?
- For 2018 we have plans both directly for Sahumyan region, as well as state and business projects.
First, we are planning big construction works to ensure infrastructures. Second, we will ensure appropriate communication means for the region. Unfortunately, we have places in the region, where the Internet is still not available, in some places there are also problems with the connection. The overall region is not provided with gas. Although we do not expect providing all those places with gas in 2018, the infrastructures for gas supply will be installed in 2018. Works will be done for the construction of Vardenis-Karvachar short road, the part of which has already been completed. Another thing will be house construction process in overall region, especially for young families.
Then improvement works should be carried out in our center- Karvachar. If you had a chance to see, there are many ruins there, which distort the face of the town. We will work to improve the face of the town. We will try to have a new investment climate in the region via the investments.
There are already a number of arrangements; some of them are already in use, such as the water plant which will be operated in spring of 2018. Due to the very plant we will have 40 new job places. In the sphere of construction, 15-20 job places are expected to be added. In the coming two-three years, the region will solve the problem of its job places. Afterwards, there will be issues with a new working force, mainly concerning the issue of having qualified specialists. Currently, due to “Ararat” foundation we realize the reconstruction works of the house of culture, which we plan to accomplish also in 2018. We will have a new constructed house of culture with its subsidiary buildings, workshops.
- What conditioned your decision to become a state official?
- I have worked in the social sphere for many years and had my participation in developing some public agenda issues and in various constitutional processes. I have always come up with various initiatives, in the framework of which we have tried to realize our different ideas and to contribute to the development of the country.
According to the policy carried out by the President of Artsakh Republic, young people are trusted with responsible jobs. In the framework of it, I was appointed as an assistant to the head of presidential administration in June of 2017, afterwards, on September 26, by the order of the President, I was appointed the head of Shahumyan region. To tell the truth, it was unexpected to some extent, it is a serious responsibility and, naturally, I will do my best to justify that trust.
- Is it easy to be a young official in Artsakh? What are the main difficulties you overcome? What are the advantages of being a young official?
- Of course, no, in the traditional societies, where the absence of experience is viewed very negatively, it is hard for many members of the society to admit a young official. The lack of experience, certainly, is accomplished by hard-work, the desire to study and enthusiasm.
Of course, along with its negative sides, there are positive sides. The main advantage of a young official, which I would like to mention, is the ability to dream and recognize no borders. When there is a problem, which has not been solved for many years and we discuss it, everyone says that it cannot be resolved. However, the youth are of another opinion. We do not have to admit the situation; we have to dream, which gives us power.
- Berdzor Residents Receive Security Guarantees and Stop Evacuation “Without elaborating, I can say that agreements were changed, we’ve received security guarantees. Under my direct responsibility we stopped evacuation in these settlements and we will remain in place,”...
- Defense Army Publishes List of 34 Deceased Servicemen The Defense Army of Artsakh published list of 34 servicemen killed while defending homeland. By now Armenian side published names of 1,712 servicemen killed during the war.
- Artsakh's Charektar and Aknaberd Villages to Remain Under Armenian Party's Control “The residents of Charektar have mainly taken their items and burned their homes, and nobody knows if they will return or if a military base will be deployed in the village,” the village head told...
- Kremlin Does not Comment on Erdogan's Words on Expanding Ceasefire Efforts on Karabakh “The modalities of joint work along the lines of the joint monitoring center" were also at the focus, Peskov added.
- Prime Minister: The Joint Statement Provides for the Return to Their Homes for People living in the Regions of Nagorno-Karabakh Nikol Pashinyan gave an interview to the Russian TASS news agency. Below is the full transcript of the Prime Minister’s interview:
- Arayik Harutyunyan Visited Festive Event On The Occasion Of The Artsakh Republic Proclamation On 8 September Artsakh Republic President Arayik Harutyunyan visited the town of Shoushi and partook in the festive event organized by the "Azat Hayreniq" party on the occasion of the Artsakh Republic...
- One New Case Of The Coronavirus Has Been Registered In Artsakh The Ministry of Health of the Republic of Artsakh informed that one new case of the coronavirus has been registered in Artsakh, but seven more persons have recovered, Information Headquarters reported.
- Artsakh President Awards The Authers Of The Stepanakert Aater Supply System Project The President of Artsakh Republic Arayik Haroutyunyan on Monday received a group of construction engineers and persons in charge on the eve of Artsakh Republic Day
- President of Artsakh Handed in Awards to a Group of Construction Sphere Representatives For the contribution to the sphere and in connection with the professional holiday the republic's President handed in awards and valuable gifts to a group of Artsakh Republic Municipal Engineering Ministry...
- President of Artsakh Signed a Decree On 21 July President Arayik Harutyunyan signed a decree on appointing Armen Sargsyan advisor to the Artsakh Republic President on education, science, culture, youth and sports.
Syunik Governor Hunan Poghosyan Resigns
Artsakh President: Over 600 Bodies Retrieved from Conflict Zone
Ameriabank Successfully Placed Its First Ever Green Bond
Prime Minister Holds Meeting with Judiciary
President Sarkissian Sends a Letter to Putin
Oil Prices Fall as OPEC+ Members Debate 2021 Output Policy
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Coronavirus Pandemic Unlikely to End Soon, WHO Official Says
Lt. General Jalal Harutyunyan Recovers Normally, to Be Discharged from Hospital Soon
France Wins 18th Junior Eurovision Song Contest
More Than 55,000 Residents of Artsakh Already Back Home – Government Says
Armenia Records 135124 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Kim Kardashian on New Initiative for Children of Artsakh
Masis Mayilian Met with Minister of Defence of the Republic of Armenia
1,174 New Cases of COVID-19 Confirmed in Armenia
Russian Military Doctors Arrive in Karabakh to Help Civilians
Armenia: Drivers are Recommended to Drive Exclusively on Winter Tires
President Armen Sarkissian Left on a Private Visit to the Russian Federation
We Have Always Felt the Support of Friendly France - PM Receives French Humanitarian Mission Delegation
4 Azeri Family-Members Killed in Fizuli Landmine Blast
Cher Appeals to US Government to Help Armenia, Artsakh (VIDEO)
Kim Kardashian Speaks on Artsakh Peace Deal: This is Goodbye, for Now
Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Held Phone Conversations with the Representatives of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair Countries
Territorial Concessions and the Announced Terms Have Not Been Discussed with the Authorities of Artsakh: Vahram Poghosyan
A New Era Starts in the Caucasus: Georgian President
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Sent a Letter to the UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
First Aurora Humanitarian Aid Projects for Artsakh Announced
Ara Ayvazyan Appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs of Armenia
Wind: 4 km/h