Armenia Is Coming Out from the Zurich Process with an Important Achievement
Armenia has withdrawn its signature from the Armenian-Turkish protocols signed in Switzerland in 2009. In fact, the initiative of President Serzh Sargsyan, which was once called "football diplomacy" aimed at the normalization of Armenian-Turkish relations, reached its logical end.
In 2008, speaking on this initiative, the Armenian side pursued several goals,
- to achieve normalization of relations and opening of the border closed by Turkey,
- breaking "the stereotype of a country with problems with all neighbors", which was actively used by Ankara and Baku,
- to show the international community that Armenia is not the obstacle in the normalization of Armenian-Turkish relations,
- raise the country's international reputation.
As the process showed, the Armenian side's initiative was more than well-considered from the perspective of possible risks and developments. At the same time it was a completely new word in the Armenian diplomacy, which justified itself. The international community also assessed the Armenian initiative as worthy one, which is expressed in various EU, RF and US high-level statements.
The Turkish side, which at the time adopted the thesis of regulating all the problems with the neighbors, could not essentially reject the Armenian side's proposal, as a result of which the Zurich Protocols were signed. However, as for their ratification, the Turkish authorities were unable to demonstrate sufficient political will and we witnessed Ankara's preconditions, which contradicted the spirit and logic of the settlement process.
Finally, making sure that the Turkish side does not have enough political will, the Armenian authorities have gone through the cancellation of the protocols. In this process, which lasted several years, official Yerevan has also used its legal instruments, freezing the process of ratification of the protocols by the RA NA, their recalling from the parliament and now their final withdrawal. In addition, before each step, in the UN, PACE and other influential international institutions clear messages were sent to the international community and the official Ankara. In fact, Armenia was guided by rather transparent, step-by-step moves in the initiation and subsequent stages of the Armenian-Turkish normalization process. Due to this kind of behavior, it became clear for the international community that the side, which broke the process is Turkey, and Armenia is a reliable partner that is loyal to its commitments.
To summarize, Armenia's ''football diplomacy'' is a good manifestation of pragmatic policy, but at the same time a missed opportunity for both Turkey and the whole region. Regardless of the outcome, the Armenian side, with its very important achievement, was involved in this process 10 years ago, and both for the international community and the power centers it is already obvious that Armenia is not an obstacle to the normalization of the Armenian-Turkish relations.
- Armenia Cancels Turkish-Armenian Protocols To note the protocols were pre-signed on October 10, 2009, but were not ratified by Turkey that brought forward a number of preconditions.
- Turkey Reaffirmed: Ankara Is to Be Blamed for the Failure of Zurich Process It is obvious that Ankara has started a campaign of distorting the facts and the reality concerning the Armenian-Turkish protocols to mislead the international community and to blame Armenia for the failure...
- Cavusoglu: Turkey Signed Zurich Protocols with Armenia on Certain Conditions ’’We have put a condition for the normalization of relations with Armenia that this country will leave the Azerbaijani territories and after that the relations can be normalized,” Cavusoglu said.
- We Will Enter the Spring of 2018 Without Armenian-Turkish Protocols: Nalbandian However, up to now, those documents have not been ratified, since Turkey came up with groundless preconditions that run counter to the letter and spirit of the Protocols.
- Turkish Authorities Knew about Assassination of Hrant Dink "We heard from Coşkun İğci, who worked at the Soil Products Office, that [Yasin] Hayal was planning the killing of Hrant Dink,” Yıldız, who is being tried under arrest in the case, said at the 14th...
Trump: US Will Pay Nothing for Pastor
Turkey Arrests Another German Citizen
Angela Merkel to Visit Armenia Next Week
Guinea Citizen Ilegally Crossed Armenia-Turkey Border
"Armenian Velvet Revolution" Book Released
Turkey's Biggest Mobile Phone Importing Companies Cancel their Phone Orders
Government Creates Favorable Conditions for Doing Business and Making Profits – PM Pashinyan
Nikol Pashinyan: "Over the past 100 days, we have solved the key problem: we have ensured the country’s normal functioning and economic development"
Armenian PM, Russia President Talk on Phone
Turkey Intends to Establish Close Ties with EU
Trump Says His Tariffs will Rescue US Industry
Main Side of the Conflict Cannot be Withdrawn or Put Aside from Negotiation Table – Artsakh Parliament Speaker
Dollar Drops in Armenia
At Least 25 Killed in Suicide Blast in Kabul
Turkish Court Releases Local Chair of Amnesty International
Information of the Artsakh Republic State Commission on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons
President Sahakyan Visited the Town of Martouni
Nikol Pashinyan Extends Condolences to Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte
Juncker Welcomes Release of 2 Greek Border Guards From Detention in Turkey
Artsakh Republic Convoked the Meeting of the Security Council
New Wave of Hysteria Raised in Azerbaijan Due to the Possible Visit of Russian Singer with Armenian Surname
Artsakh Republic President Sahakyan, Minister Minasyan Discuss Economic Cooperation Between Artsakh and Armenia
Any constructive contact initiated by the parties should serve for settlement of NK conflict, Russia says
Israel: All the Citizens are Equal, but Jews are More Than Equal
Robert Kocharyan Released: Court of Appeals Approves Attorneys’ Appeal
"We are Gure to Gain a Victory in our Common Mission" – Nikol Pashinyan Attends Event Dedicated to Armenian General Athletic Union Centenary
Armenia PM: Every Penny Stolen from People Will be Returned
Greens Call for New Zealand's Parliament to Recognise Armenian Genocide
Foreign Minister of South Ossetia Congratulated on the 25th Anniversary of the Establishment of the MFA of the Republic of Artsakh
Artsakh MFA Received Congratulatory Message from Abkhazia MFA on the 25th Anniversary of the Establishment
Wind: 17.70 km/h