Catalan New President Did Not Mention of Obeying the Spanish Constitution
Quim Torra has been sworn in as the 131st president of Catalonia amid growing pressure over the "xenophobic" and anti-Spanish tone of his past writings and comments, the Guardian reports.
Torra, a hardline Catalan nationalist handpicked by the region’s deposed president, Carles Puigdemont, was elected by 66 votes to 65 on Monday and assumed office at a low-key ceremony in Barcelona on Thursday.
"I promise to loyally fulfil the duties of the post of regional president being faithful to the will of the Catalan people represented by the Catalan parliament," he said, using the same formula as Puigdemont and avoiding mention of obeying the Spanish constitution. Central government representatives did not attend the ceremony.
- Puigdemont Refuses to be Catalonia's President In a video from his self-imposed exile in Berlin, Mr Puigdemont named Quim Torra to be a candidate for the presidency of the region.
- Clashes in Catalonia over Puigdemont's Arrest The situation in Barcelona escalated in the evening as protesters fought running battles with riot police. Local authorities reported dozens of injuries and many arrests.
- Puigdemont May Rule Catalonia by Skype The two options - which would either see Puigdemont attending the Parliament on a video call or a delegate reading the inauguration speech on his behalf - are currently being studied by lawyers.
- Snap Parliamentary Elections Kicked Off in Catalonia Voter turnout is expected to be high Thursday.
- Spain Has Proof against Russia on Catalonia "What we know today is that much of this came from Russian territory," Spanish Defence Minister Maria Dolores de Cospedal said of Russian-based internet support.
President Sarkissian Accepts Cabinet’s Resignation
Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan: “Armenia is Entering a Historic Stage of Development”
Armenian Akhtala to be Renamed After Charles Aznavour?
Saudi Missing Journalist Jamal Khashoggi: Explanation Expected from Saudi Arabia as Mike Pompeo Arrives
ARF won’t Nominate Candidate for Prime Minister
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Board Members of the International Francophone Press
Donald Trump has talked with King of Saudi Arabia
Turkey to Inspect Saudi Consulate over Journalist’s Disappearance
Kadyrov Invited Pashinyan and Macron to Participate in a Dance Festival in Chechnya
UK PM Launches First Strategy to Combat Loneliness
Russian Border Guards in Armenia Apprehend Trespasser
Armenia 2nd President: PM has Personal Hatred Towards Me
Istanbul Municipality Renames One of Streets of Şişli District After Hrant Dink
PM Receives U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
The Refusal from US State Bonds by the Investing Countries Can Have Crisis-Leading Consequences
Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Are Expecting A Baby
Water Poisoning Cases in Basra Rises to 111.000
1 Dead, 1 Injured as Gunman Opens Fire in Glendale Armenian Restaurant
The Armenian delegation to PACE managed to prevent amendments to one of the resolutions proposed by Azerbaijani delegation. Arpine Hovhannisyan
President Participated at the Produce Festive Fair in Stepanakert (photos)
Brigitte Macron: We Feel So Good in Armenia that We Don't Want to Leave
Macron: April 24 to be Remembered in France as the Day of Remembrance of the Armenian Genocide
In Honor of Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, RA Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan Gave Official Dinner (photos)
It Is Suggested in Armenia to Rename one of the International Airports in Honor of the Great Chansonnier Charles Aznavour
German Publicist about Erdogan's Visit: You Mean the Carpet, which Is Painted with the Blood of Armenians?
Aliyev Criticized International Observers' Assessment on the Yerevan Council of Elderly Elections before the Election Results Were Published
CSTO Chief of Joint Staff not Authorized to Comment on Matter Regarding Secretary General Yuri Khachaturov
Justin Trudeau: Many Years ago I Had the Opportunity to Visit Armenia with my Father during Summer Holidays
Artsakh's Defense Army Serviceman Artsakh Hovsepyan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Artsakh's Defense Army Serviceman Aghasi Mkrtchyan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Wind: 17.70 km/h