Catalan New President Did Not Mention of Obeying the Spanish Constitution
Quim Torra has been sworn in as the 131st president of Catalonia amid growing pressure over the "xenophobic" and anti-Spanish tone of his past writings and comments, the Guardian reports.
Torra, a hardline Catalan nationalist handpicked by the region’s deposed president, Carles Puigdemont, was elected by 66 votes to 65 on Monday and assumed office at a low-key ceremony in Barcelona on Thursday.
"I promise to loyally fulfil the duties of the post of regional president being faithful to the will of the Catalan people represented by the Catalan parliament," he said, using the same formula as Puigdemont and avoiding mention of obeying the Spanish constitution. Central government representatives did not attend the ceremony.
- Catalan Independence Protesters Block Major Spain-France Road Link Catalonia has been rocked by mass protests since long prison sentences were handed down in mid-October to nine separatist leaders who spearheaded a failed independence bid in 2017.
- Barcelona Rocked by Violence as Catalan Protesters Clash with Police The general strike that brought the Catalan capital to a standstill drew over half a million people, according to police estimates, and was largely peaceful for most of the day.
- Puigdemont Refuses to be Catalonia's President In a video from his self-imposed exile in Berlin, Mr Puigdemont named Quim Torra to be a candidate for the presidency of the region.
- Clashes in Catalonia over Puigdemont's Arrest The situation in Barcelona escalated in the evening as protesters fought running battles with riot police. Local authorities reported dozens of injuries and many arrests.
- Puigdemont May Rule Catalonia by Skype The two options - which would either see Puigdemont attending the Parliament on a video call or a delegate reading the inauguration speech on his behalf - are currently being studied by lawyers.
Serzh Sargsyan Attends EPP Summit in Zagreb
PM Introduces Armenia’s Investment Opportunities to Italian Business Community
Our Government Implements an Open-Door Policy Towards Foreign Investments: Armenia's PM
Armenia Elected as a Member of the Council of the UNESCO International Bureau of Education
Armenia's Prime Minister Arrives in Rome
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Junior Diplomats of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia
Speaker of RA National Assembly Ararat Mirzoyan Meets with Speaker of RF Federation Council Valentina Matviyenko
Artsakh President Met a Group of Students From the Diplomatic School Under the RA Foreign Ministry
The President of Armenian Football Federation Resigns From Office
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan Visit Catholic Cathedral in Milan (PHOTOS)
Vladimir Putin Will Meet with Mehriban Aliyeva
Armenian PM’s Spokesperson Comments on Incident in Milan Involving Azerbaijani "Blogger"
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Armen Sarkissian Invited Businessmen to Make Investments in Armenia: Our Doors are Open for You
Trump Considering Withdrawing up to 4,000 U.S. Troops from South Korea
Presentation of Three-Year-Old St. Mary to the Church
President of Artsakh Signed a Decree on the 2020 Winter Draft and Demobilization.
Donald Tusk Elected President of European People’s Party
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan Watch "The Egyptian Elena" by R. Strauss at La Scala
Armenian PM, Mayor of Milan Discuss Cooperation Prospects
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Wind: 3 km/h