Catalan New President Did Not Mention of Obeying the Spanish Constitution
Quim Torra has been sworn in as the 131st president of Catalonia amid growing pressure over the "xenophobic" and anti-Spanish tone of his past writings and comments, the Guardian reports.
Torra, a hardline Catalan nationalist handpicked by the region’s deposed president, Carles Puigdemont, was elected by 66 votes to 65 on Monday and assumed office at a low-key ceremony in Barcelona on Thursday.
"I promise to loyally fulfil the duties of the post of regional president being faithful to the will of the Catalan people represented by the Catalan parliament," he said, using the same formula as Puigdemont and avoiding mention of obeying the Spanish constitution. Central government representatives did not attend the ceremony.
- Catalan Separatists Approve Talks with Spanish Socialists But Demand Secession Negotiation ERC official Marta Vilalta said the results showed that, unless the Socialists accept its demands, the party will uphold its refusal to facilitate Sanchez’s bid to form a government.
- Catalan Independence Protesters Block Major Spain-France Road Link Catalonia has been rocked by mass protests since long prison sentences were handed down in mid-October to nine separatist leaders who spearheaded a failed independence bid in 2017.
- Barcelona Rocked by Violence as Catalan Protesters Clash with Police The general strike that brought the Catalan capital to a standstill drew over half a million people, according to police estimates, and was largely peaceful for most of the day.
- Puigdemont Refuses to be Catalonia's President In a video from his self-imposed exile in Berlin, Mr Puigdemont named Quim Torra to be a candidate for the presidency of the region.
- Clashes in Catalonia over Puigdemont's Arrest The situation in Barcelona escalated in the evening as protesters fought running battles with riot police. Local authorities reported dozens of injuries and many arrests.
Roads in Armenia are Difficult to Pass
Armenia PM Visits Epicenter Spitak Town (Video)
Trump Calls for World Bank to Stop Loaning to China
Armenia Deputy FM Receives Guatemalan Delegation
Gabriel Sargissian Wins European Rapid Chess Championship 2019
Armenia Remembers Victims of 1988 Earthquake
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan Attended Concert Dedicated to 91st Anniversary of Hovhannes Chekijian
Angela Merkel Visits Auschwitz for the First Time as Germany's Chancellor
Government Continues Discussing Public Agencies’ Budget Requests
We're Acquiring New Weapons: Armenia’s Deputy Defense Minister
Armenian Military Will Have Special Army Sports Club for Distinguished Athlete Conscripts
Mistake Has Occurred while Publishing the Translation of the Text: Armenia's MFA
Unprecedented New Year and Christmas Celebrations Expected in Yerevan: Municipality of Yerevan
PM: State Budget of Armenia Exceeds by AMD 89 Billion in 2019
Armenia Acquired Unprecedented Quantity of Arms, Ammunition Since May 2018: Nikol Pashinyan
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Garo Paylan asked Turkish DM to Clarify Whether Turkish General Staff Has an Action Plan of Airstrikes against Armenia
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Reaffirmed Armenia’s Priorities in the Karabakh Peaceful Settlement Process
Transport Chaos as Strike Against Macron Reforms Enters Day Two
Pashinyan: Armenia Economic Growth is Highest in Post-Soviet Expanse
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Komitas Statue to Be Unveiled in Front of Istanbul’s Armenian Patriarchate
Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria
Pope Francis Refers to Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Artsakh Republic President Held a Working Consultation with the Representatives of the Askeran Regional Administration and Community Heads
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Statement by MFA of Armenia Regarding the Statements by the President of Turkey on Armenian Genocide Made in the United States
Azerbaijan Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border around 140 Times in One Week
Colonel Arayik Grigoryan Appointed Frst Deputy Director of the Artsakh Republic National Security Service
Wind: 5 km/h