Catalan Separatists Approve Talks with Spanish Socialists But Demand Secession Negotiation
Members of Catalan separatist party Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya (ERC) on Monday overwhelmingly backed the conditions set out by party leaders to support a Socialist-led government in Spain, demanding a negotiation over the issue of secession, Reuters reports.
The result of the non-binding consultation could ease the way for left-leaning ERC to act as a potential kingmaker after the Nov. 10 election yielded a deeply fragmented political landscape. A total of 94.6% of members voted yes. The turnout was around 70% with close to 6,000 votes.
Spain’s Socialists, led by acting Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, have been left scrambling for support following an election win in which they fell short of a majority.
ERC official Marta Vilalta said the results showed that, unless the Socialists accept its demands, the party will uphold its refusal to facilitate Sanchez’s bid to form a government.
- EU Parliament Lifts Former Catalan Leader's Immunity The three fled to Belgium in 2017 to avoid arrest in relation to their role in organising a 2017 independence referendum deemed illegal by a Spanish court and have been the subject of European arrest warrants...
- Catalan Independence Protesters Block Major Spain-France Road Link Catalonia has been rocked by mass protests since long prison sentences were handed down in mid-October to nine separatist leaders who spearheaded a failed independence bid in 2017.
- Barcelona Rocked by Violence as Catalan Protesters Clash with Police The general strike that brought the Catalan capital to a standstill drew over half a million people, according to police estimates, and was largely peaceful for most of the day.
- Catalan New President Did Not Mention of Obeying the Spanish Constitution Torra, a hardline Catalan nationalist handpicked by the region’s deposed president, Carles Puigdemont, was elected by 66 votes to 65 on Monday and assumed office at a low-key ceremony in Barcelona on...
- Puigdemont Refuses to be Catalonia's President In a video from his self-imposed exile in Berlin, Mr Puigdemont named Quim Torra to be a candidate for the presidency of the region.
EU intends to impose new anti-Russian sanctions by special op anniversary
Deputy Prime Minister Tigran Khachatryan received the representatives of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation
Turkish Defense Minister also demands 'Zangezur corridor'
Nikol Pashinyan participates in the narrow-format session of the Eurasian Intergovernmental Council
Stepantsminda-Larsi highway is closed for trucks
Ararat Mirzoyan, Sergey Kopyrkin discuss bilateral relations
Armenian Prime Minister arrives in Kazakhstan
Germany, UK, Follow Netherlands in Closing Istanbul Consulates Over Terror Threat
Lavrov: Armenia occupied 7 regions, Azerbaijan returned its lands
Armenian government approves new round of training for military reservists
Russia says CSTO mission can be deployed to Armenia-Azerbaijan border in "one or two days" if greenlighted by Yerevan
Armenian military plans new standard issue uniforms
U.S. to remain deeply engaged on Armenia-Azerbaijan settlement – State Department
21 people included in Armenia delegation led by PM Pashinyan who left for Kazakhstan
Israel behind recent drone attack on Iranian military facility, envoy says
Artsakh Foreign Minister Meets with Delegation of "For the Republic" Party
The Prime Minister will participate in the regular session of the Eurasian Intergovernmental Council in Almaty
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Antony Blinken appoints new Senior Advisor on the Caucasus Negotiations
Arms shipments to Ukraine to lead to peaceful solution, NATO’s Stoltenberg claims
"Michelangelo in the Ballet": Armenian Agrippina Vaganova, the Founder of the Theory of Russian Ballet
The comment of the Press Secretary of the MFA of Armenia on the psychological terror and violation of rights of Armenian children by Azerbaijan
Europe faces unprecedented crisis due to Ukraine conflict, Macron says
Iranian ambassador to Azerbaijan leaves for consultations at home
Azeri 'eco-activists' couldn't reach Lachin corridor without authorities' permission: Tatoyan Foundation
Pentagon commits another $2.5 billion in aid to Ukraine
Ruben Vardanyan offers condolences to families of soldiers killed in barracks fire
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Los Angeles mayor and city council president address US president on Lachin corridor issue
We highly appreciate the appeal of the European Parliament to the international community: Artsakh Foreign Ministry
Wind: 1.54 km/h