The Trump administration reportedly drafted a bill to abandon key World Trade Organization rules
The Trump administration has drafted legislation that would empower the president to ignore international trade rules set by the World Trade Organization, according to a leaked draft of the bill obtained by the news website Axios, Newstimes reports.
The draft bill, known as the "United States Fair and Reciprocal Tariff Act," would essentially allow President Donald Trump to unilaterally raise tariffs without Congress' approval.
The WTO maintains a rules-based system meant to resolve international trade disputes, end unfair trade practices, and head off potential trade wars. But Trump has reportedly said that foreign countries use the organization to "screw the United States."
Should the US walk away from the WTO, it would undermine the entire system of trade rules agreed upon by the international community.
One source familiar with the Trump administration's draft bill told Axios it was "insane."
"It would be the equivalent of walking away from the WTO and our commitments there without us actually notifying our withdrawal," the source said. "It's not implementable at the border … and it would completely remove us from the set of global trade rules."
According to Axios, Trump was briefed on the draft legislation in late May, and most of the officials who wrote it believe the bill is untenable, unlikely to receive any support in Congress, and essentially "dead on arrival."
White House spokeswoman Lindsay Waters told Axios that Trump had asked his staff to come up with ways to persuade other countries to lower their tariffs.
"It is no secret that POTUS has had frustrations with the unfair imbalance or tariffs that put the US at a disadvantage," she said.
Trump has been angling for some time to withdraw the US from the WTO completely, though he would be unable to do so without Congress' approval.
- "Fake, Fake, Disgusting News": Trump Slams Media for Bad Coverage of His Summits US President Donald Trump on Thursday resumed his attacks on media at a rally in Pennsylvania, slamming news as "fake" and "disgusting."
- Trump National Security Team says Russia Behind Effort to Meddle in U.S. Elections U.S. President Donald Trump’s national security team said on Thursday that Russia is behind “pervasive” attempts to interfere in upcoming U.S. elections, in a rejection of denials of meddling that...
- Increasing Tension in Turkish-American Relations In the first case, Ankara categorically refused to release a US cleric detained for involvement with coup organizers and Kurdish militants in Turkey in 2016.
- Trump: I'll be Putin's Worst Enemy "Getting along with President Putin, getting along with Russia, is positive, not a negative," the US President Donald Trump said.
- Iran files Suit in International Court against U.S. over Sanctions A State Department official said the application was without merit and the United States would fight it in the court.
Pope Francis Writes to Catholics Worldwide over Sexual Abuse
Armenia Defense Minister Travels to Moscow
European Commissioner: Brexit Vote Could In Theory Be Reversed
Search Conducted in Armenia 2nd President’s Mansion
Trump: Israel will Have a PM Named Mohammed if no Deal
Greece Emerges from Eurozone Bailout Programme
Putin: It is Extremely Important to Preserve Iranian Nuclear Deal
EU: There is a Lot of Potential to Further Increase Usage of GSP+ with Armenia
U.S. Government Trying to Force Facebook to Break Encryption
Erdogan Reelected as Chairman of Justice and Development Party
Merkel and Putin Discuss Ukraine, Nord Stream-2 at ''Serious, Detailed'' talks
Kofi Annan, Former UN Secretary General, Dies
Yerevan City Council Early Elections to be Held on September 23
Artsakh Republic President Met with the General Staff of the Republic of Armenia Armed Forces
Trump: US Will Pay Nothing for Pastor
Turkey Arrests Another German Citizen
Angela Merkel to Visit Armenia Next Week
Guinea Citizen Ilegally Crossed Armenia-Turkey Border
"Armenian Velvet Revolution" Book Released
Turkey's Biggest Mobile Phone Importing Companies Cancel their Phone Orders
New Wave of Hysteria Raised in Azerbaijan Due to the Possible Visit of Russian Singer with Armenian Surname
Artsakh Republic President Sahakyan, Minister Minasyan Discuss Economic Cooperation Between Artsakh and Armenia
Robert Kocharyan Released: Court of Appeals Approves Attorneys’ Appeal
Armenia PM: Every Penny Stolen from People Will be Returned
Israel: All the Citizens are Equal, but Jews are More Than Equal
"We are Gure to Gain a Victory in our Common Mission" – Nikol Pashinyan Attends Event Dedicated to Armenian General Athletic Union Centenary
Greens Call for New Zealand's Parliament to Recognise Armenian Genocide
Foreign Minister of South Ossetia Congratulated on the 25th Anniversary of the Establishment of the MFA of the Republic of Artsakh
Artsakh MFA Received Congratulatory Message from Abkhazia MFA on the 25th Anniversary of the Establishment
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Coordinator of the "Congress of Refugees from the Azerbaijani SSR" NGO
Wind: 17.70 km/h