Trump Signs Executive Order to Impose Sanctions Against any Election Interference
Fox News: President Trump signed an executive order Wednesday authorizing sanctions against any country that interferes with U.S. elections, declaring election meddling efforts a “national emergency.”
The executive order, signed just two months ahead of the November's midterms elections, addresses not only interference with campaign and election infrastructure, but also propaganda efforts, foxnews.com reports.
The order, which is considered a national emergency due to sanctions authority requirements, instructs the Office of National Intelligence and the intelligence community to conduct regular assessments about potential foreign interference in elections.
Following Election Day, the intelligence community would have 45 days to collect data and assess whether interference had occurred.
At that point, the agencies would pass the findings to the Justice Department and Department of Homeland Security, where officials would have 45 days to make their assessment based on the intelligence information, and decide whether to pass sanctions on potential actors, countries, or institutions that participated in potential interference.
After the reports are complete, the Treasury and State Departments would decide on the appropriate sanctions to impose on the potential actors or countries. The order, according to administration officials, is broad in terms of who and what can be sanctioned.
“It’s more than Russia here that we’re looking at,” Coats said. “We have seen signs of not just Russia, but from China, and the capabilities potentially from Iran and even North Korea.”
Bolton and Coats said the 90 day process would be private, and that the public would be notified of decisions when sanctions are announced.
The executive order comes after the intelligence community and several congressional committees determined that Russia meddled in the 2016 presidential election.
- Pentagon to Scrutinize Recruits with Green Cards and Other Foreign Ties Anyone identified for the screening would not be allowed to attend recruit training until they are cleared, a process that could take days for some but drag on much longer for others.
- Iran Foreign Minister Condemns US Imprisonment of Press TV Anchor Press TV has learned that she was transferred by the FBI to a detention facility in Washington, DC. The US officials have so far refused to provide any reasons for her apprehension either to her or her...
- Sanctions Relief Removes Obstacle to US-Armenia Aluminum Trade The U.S. Senate’s rejection today of a bid to block the easing of sanctions on Russian aluminum company Rusal PLC will have the practical effect of reducing pressure on an Armenian aluminum mill.
- Donald Trump is a Serial Re-Gifter of Christmas Presents He then said at one point, his dad even gave him a present that he recognized immediately because it was from him.
- The USA Congratulates Armenians on the Conduct of their Parliamentary Elections The United States concurs with the OSCE’s preliminary conclusions that the elections process enjoyed broad public trust and respected fundamental freedoms. We encourage the authorities to address OSCE...
Georgia’s President is Declining Her Official Salary and will Continue to Live on Her French Pension
Tension between Russia and Azerbaijan: Armenians to Be Blamed?
Only 2/3 of Cabinet Members will be Appointed in the Near Future - Nikol Pashinyan Refers to Government Formation
Preparing for Peace? Stepanakert Responded to OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs Statement
Pentagon to Scrutinize Recruits with Green Cards and Other Foreign Ties
Armenia Appoints Permanent Representative to UNESCO
Iran Foreign Minister Condemns US Imprisonment of Press TV Anchor
Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan Extends Condolences to Georgian Prime Minister Mamuka Bakhtadze
Sanctions Relief Removes Obstacle to US-Armenia Aluminum Trade
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
"Possible Summit Between Leaders of Armenia and Azerbaijan" under Consideration: Statement by the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group
Meeting of Armenian and Azerbaijani FMs Lasted More than 4 Hours
PM Pashinyan to Participate in Davos Economic Forum
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
CoE Secretary General Congratulates Nikol Pashinyan
Serbia Arrests Man Plotting to Assassinate Putin
Russia Expects Progress in the Karabakh Conflict Settlement in 2019 - Lavrov
Mher Grigoryan and Tigran Avinyan Appointed as Deputy Prime Ministers
UK Has Not Requested Brexit Extension
Acting Secretary General of CSTO Congratulates Pashinyan on Re-Appointment
Congratulatory Address by Acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan on New Year and Christmas Holidays (VIDEO)
Erdogan Officially Declared 2019 as the Year of Armenian Portasar
His Holiness Karekin II Catholicos of All Armenians Sends a Message on the Occasion of the Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ
James Mattis to step down as US defence secretary after announcing he can no longer support Donald Trump
Nikol Pashinyan:"We Have Erased the Borderline Between Armenia and the Diaspora Because our Main Task is to Create Opportunities for Everyone"
As the Leader of the Country that Chairs the International Organization of La Francophonie, Nikol Pashinyan Signs OIF Secretary General’s Employment Contract
Artsakh Republic President Addressed Congratulatory Message on the Occasion of New Year and Christmas Holidays
Meeting between Pashinyan and Belarusian candidate for CSTO Secretary general not Planned: Arman Yeghoyan
Eve of Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Candlelight (Lucernarium) Divine Liturgy
Pompeo: US Withdrawal from Syria doesn't Change Mission to Destroy ISIS and Stop Iran's Influence in the Mideast