Trump Signs Executive Order to Impose Sanctions Against any Election Interference
Fox News: President Trump signed an executive order Wednesday authorizing sanctions against any country that interferes with U.S. elections, declaring election meddling efforts a “national emergency.”
The executive order, signed just two months ahead of the November's midterms elections, addresses not only interference with campaign and election infrastructure, but also propaganda efforts, foxnews.com reports.
The order, which is considered a national emergency due to sanctions authority requirements, instructs the Office of National Intelligence and the intelligence community to conduct regular assessments about potential foreign interference in elections.
Following Election Day, the intelligence community would have 45 days to collect data and assess whether interference had occurred.
At that point, the agencies would pass the findings to the Justice Department and Department of Homeland Security, where officials would have 45 days to make their assessment based on the intelligence information, and decide whether to pass sanctions on potential actors, countries, or institutions that participated in potential interference.
After the reports are complete, the Treasury and State Departments would decide on the appropriate sanctions to impose on the potential actors or countries. The order, according to administration officials, is broad in terms of who and what can be sanctioned.
“It’s more than Russia here that we’re looking at,” Coats said. “We have seen signs of not just Russia, but from China, and the capabilities potentially from Iran and even North Korea.”
Bolton and Coats said the 90 day process would be private, and that the public would be notified of decisions when sanctions are announced.
The executive order comes after the intelligence community and several congressional committees determined that Russia meddled in the 2016 presidential election.
- Bolton Urges Iran to Change Its Behavior Bolton tweeted: "The Iranian regime should understand that it must change its behavior now or continue to pay the cost for its destabilizing behavior, which only hurts the Iranian people."
- Trump Vetoes Bill to End US Involvement in Yemen War Congress had earlier voted to invoke the War Powers Resolution to try and stop US involvement in a foreign conflict.
- The Deep Chill in U.S.-Russian Relations is Stirring Concern The deep chill in U.S.-Russian relations is stirring concern in some quarters that Washington and Moscow are in danger of stumbling into an armed confrontation that, by mistake or miscalculation, could...
- Congresswoman Urges Kim Kardashian to Press Trump to Recognize Armenian Genocide Congresswoman Jackie Spier, who has Armenian roots, has called on Armenian Americans to tweet to Kim Kardashian to press President Trump to properly condemn and commemorate the Armenian Genocide.
- Erdogan: Russian S-400S Delivery May Be Brought Forward President Tayyip Erdogan said the delivery of Russian S-400 missile defence systems may be brought forward from July, the Sabah newspaper reported on Wednesday, sticking to a purchase which has put Turkey...
US Puts Up $10 Mln Reward For Hezbollah Information
Japan University Stops Hiring Smoking Professors
At Least 45 Children Killed in Sri Lanka Attacks
Bako Sahakyan attended the individual photo exhibition by Zaven Sargsyan
New Earthquake at 6.4 Magnitude Strikes Philippines
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Kazakh Ruling Party Nominates Tokayev For Presidency
Iranian Parliament Labels Entire U.S. Military As Terrorist
French MP on Notre Dame de Paris Fire: How Can One Blame God For Fire? (Exclusive)
Sri Lanka Attacks "Retaliation For New Zealand Christchurch"
Islamic State Claims Responsibility for Sri Lanka Bombings
Bolton Urges Iran to Change Its Behavior
Allies of Erdogan Plan to Silence Armenian Genocide Protest in Washington
Iran Could Send Revolutionary Guards to Venezuela to Protect Maduro
Chamber of Deputies of Czech Republic Ratifies Armenia-EU CEPA
Ararat Mirzoyan Sends Condolence Message to Speaker of Parliament of Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan Law Enforcement Failed to Address Warnings of Radical Muslim Attacks on Christian Churches
Bako Sahakyan Attended a Presentation, Organized by the National Polytechnic University of Armenia
Security Officials Call Upon Tourists to Leave the Sinai
North Korea's Kim to Meet Putin in Russia
My Family Was Always Proud of its Armenian Heritage: James Bagian - The Only Armenian in the World, who Has Traveled into Space (EXCLUSIVE)
Who is Zahran Hashim, Alleged Mastermind of One of the Sri Lanka Attacks?
Sarkis Torossian, Armenian Hero of Gallipoli Campaign
Eurovision 2019 to Be Canceled?
Sir Khachik Paul Chater, Father of Hong Kong
More Than 70 American Lawmakers Seek US Official Recognition of Armenian Genocide with New Resolution
Armenian Community Has Been Deeply Moved by the Fire of Notre Dame Cathedral: Daniele Cazarian - French Deputy of Armenian Origin (EXCLUSIVE)
Assyrian New Year Stands For Nature Revival And Fertility: Interview With Arsen Mikhailov (EXCLUSIVE)
In Case of Attempts by Azerbaijan to Resolve the Conflict by Force, Artsakh has Every Right to Protect its Freedom and Independence. Artsakh's MFA
It is Not Artsakh Issue, It is All-Armenian Issue: Artsakh Republic National Assembly MP Vardges Baghryan (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 8 km/h