G20 Trade Ministers Say WTO Reform 'Urgent' as New Trump Tariffs Loom
Trade and investment ministers from G20 countries meeting in Argentina said there was an “urgent need” to improve the World Trade Organization, a joint statement issued from the summit said on Friday, Reuters reports.
With U.S. President Donald Trump readying tariffs on another $200 billion in Chinese goods, the ministers said they were “stepping up the dialogue” on international trade disputes, according to the statement.
It did not provide any details of possible WTO reforms or how dialogue on trade was being increased.
“Obviously the new tariff measures are not positive,” Argentina’s Production and Labor Minister, Dante Sica, said in a news conference at the end of the one-day meeting. “But we need to see how things evolve.”
Outside the meeting, smoke filled the air in the normally tranquil seaside city of Mar Del Plata where the conference is being held. Protesters burned makeshift American flags and chanted against free trade orthodoxy and Trump’s support of Argentina’s cash-strapped President Mauricio Macri, whose fiscal belt-tightening has garnered a backlash from the country’s working-class.
“We’re standing here in solidarity with the workers of Latin America. While those politicians sleep in fancy beds, communities starve because of trade and adjustment policies that hurt the most vulnerable,” protestor Maralin Cornil, 30, said.
Argentina holds the G20’s rotating presidency this year, and is currently re-negotiating a $50 billion stand-by financing deal with the IMF, cutting its fiscal deficit targets and reducing costs to ensure it can continue paying its international debts.
Trump has said he would attend the summit’s final meeting with other heads of state, to be held in Buenos Aires on November 30.
The Trump administration has demanded that China cut its $375 billion trade surplus with the United States, end policies aimed at acquiring U.S. technologies and intellectual property, and roll back high-tech industrial subsidies.
While Trump has threatened to pull the United States from the WTO, China has called for WTO reform to make the global trade system fairer and more effective.
- EU's Juncker Expects Trump to Refrain from Imposing Higher Tariffs on Cars “Trump gave me his word that there won’t be any car tariffs for the time being. I view this commitment as something you can rely on,” Juncker told the German daily Stuttgarter Zeitung in an interview....
- China Has No Intention to Reduce US Treasury Holdings According to the official, the current tensions will not affect the interest of the Chinese government in purchasing US government debt.
- Armenia President Personally Invited to Attend Davos World Economic Forum According to her, Capital Finance International published an interview with Armen Sarkissian on the World Economic Forum in Davos.
- Mark Zuckerberg Named Forbes Biggest Billionaire Losers of 2018 The biggest loser in the world was Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who had a terrible year amid internal scandals and damaging publicity. He was the only American among the ten biggest billionaire losers,...
- China Hopes for ''Orderly'' Brexit, Calls for More Open EU Economy “China hopes to see Brexit proceed in an orderly fashion and stands ready to advance China-EU and China-UK relations in parallel,” the ministry said in a lengthy policy document on EU ties.
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Ararat Mirzoyan to Leave for Moscow on 25 February
Artsakh Permanent Representative to the U.S. Held Meetings in Arizona
French Climbers Rescued from Armenian Mountain, One Pronounced Dead During Medevac
Peskov: Disagreements over CSTO New Chief’s Appointment are Being Settled
Richard Hoagland: "Lavrov Plan" on Karabakh Peace not Backed by Conflicting Sides "as yet"
Lynne M. Tracy Officially Sworn in to Serve as U.S. Ambassador to Armenia
We Are for the U.S. government to Officially Recognize the Armenian Genocide: U.S. Presidential Candidate
OSCE Assesses Committment of Armenian and Azerbaijani Leaders to Prepare their Peoples for Peace a Positive Signal
Artsakh Defense Army Didn't Lose any UAV: Defense Army Statement
Stepantsminda-Lars Highway Open for all Types of Vehicles
The Possibility of Opening an Armenian Trading House in Turkmenistan Is Being Discussed
Nikol Pashinyan Receives Georgian Defense Minister
Iran Warns Israel against 'Adventurism' in Syria
Information on Downing Armenian Spy Drone by Azerbaijani Side Doesn't Correspond to Reality: Artsakh Defense Army
Turkey to Renovate the Largest Armenian Church in the Middle East
NSS Director on Possibility of Launching Criminal Case against Armenian First President
Azerbaijani President Meets with OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
Armenia, Georgia Sign 2019 Military Cooperation Program
Elderly Man in Turkey Sentenced to Read Erdogan’s Biography for Insulting Him
"I Don't Speak Armenian, but I'm Armenian": Alain Prost - Living Legend of Formula One
"I'm Armenian, but I've Never Been in my Homeland'': Anna Der-Vartanian - First Female Master Chief Petty Officer in U.S. Navy
Serj Tankian and His Wife Provided Assistance to over 200 Needy Families in Armenia
I'm Pleasantly Surprised that Armenians Haven't Destroyed Azerbaijani and Jewish Cemeteries: Lapshin Visited Armenian Yeghegis
ANCA Suggests to Rename the Washington Street in Front of the Turkish Ambassador's Residence after Henry Morgenthau
Rhetoric around Preparing Armenian and Azerbaijani Societies for Peace Needs Transparency to Make Way for "Informed Judgements"
Patrick Devedjian - Advocate of Chirac, Close Adviser of Sarkozy: Armenian, who Fight for Rights of ASALA and Monte during Court Hearings
Turkey Recalled that Venezuela Recognized the Armenian Genocide in 2005
''Knight of Cilicia'': Aram Karamanukyan – One of the Founders of Syrian Armed Forces
Wind: 6 km/h