UNCTAD Warns of Policy-Induced Global Recession
Monetary and fiscal policy moves in advanced economies risk pushing the world towards global recession and prolonged stagnation, inflicting worse damage than the financial crisis in 2008 and the COVID-19 shock in 2020, UNCTAD warns in its Trade and Development Report 2022.
According to the report, rapid interest rate increases and fiscal tightening in advanced economies combined with the cascading crises resulting from the COVID pandemic and the war in Ukraine have already turned a global slowdown into a downturn with the desired soft landing looking unlikely.
In a decade of ultra-low interest rates, central banks consistently fell short of inflation targets and failed to generate healthier economic growth. Any belief that they will be able to bring down prices by relying on higher interest rates without generating a recession is, the report suggests, an imprudent gamble.
At a time of falling real wages, fiscal tightening, financial turbulence and insufficient multilateral support and coordination, excessive monetary tightening could usher in a period of stagnation and economic instability for many developing countries and some developed ones.
This year’s interest rate hikes in the United States are set to cut an estimated $360 billion of future income for developing countries (excluding China) and signal even more trouble ahead, the report warns.
"There’s still time to step back from the edge of recession," UNCTAD Secretary-General Rebeca Grynspan said. "We have the tools to calm inflation and support all vulnerable groups. This is a matter of policy choices and political will. But the current course of action is hurting the most vulnerable, especially in developing countries and risks tipping the world into a global recession."
- G7 coalition has agreed to set fixed price for Russian oil The initial price itself has not been set, but should be in coming weeks, multiple sources said. Coalition partners agreed to regularly review the fixed price and revise it as needed, the source said,...
- Details of 8th package of EU sanctions against Russia became known Thus, Brussels will establish a legal basis for determining the price ceiling for Russian oil for its transportation by sea from December and oil products - from February 2023.
- White House Accuses Opec+ of Aligning with Russia The Opec+ group said it would reduce production targets by 2mn barrels a day, equivalent to 2 per cent of global supply, following its first in-person meeting in two years in Vienna. The actual cut in...
- Egypt Cancels Contracts for 240,000 T of Stranded Ukrainian Wheat -Sources Egypt's General Authority For Supply Commodities (GASC) has released the trading companies supplying the four unloaded cargoes, Nibulon and Inerco, from their contractual obligations, the two sources said,...
- Iran and Russia Exclude Dollar from Trade Between Countries Noting that the policy of good neighborliness is a priority of Iran's foreign policy, Khandouzi said that Putin's visit to Tehran is in line with the implementation of the agreements reached during President...
Meeting of Ararat Mirzoyan with Philip Reeker
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
The only road linking the Republic of Artsakh to Armenia now open for traffic
Azerbaijan's genocidal policy and actions are a serious challenge to the civilized world - statement of the MFA of the Republic of Artsakh
This is also a blow to the Russian peacekeepers: Davit Babayan about blockade of Stepanakert- Goris highway by Azerbaijan
Azerbaijanis in civilian clothes close Stepanakert-Goris highway
Ned Price: US has been very much engaged with Armenia, Azerbaijan
Ararat Mirzoyan had a meeting with Paul Richard Gallagher
Commemoration of the Apostles St. Thaddeus and St. Bartholomew, the First Preachers of Christianity in Armenia
Some roads are closed in Armenia
Erdogan, Assad may meet in Russia, says Kremlin
Lemkin Institute commends French National Assembly resolution demanding sanctions against Azerbaijan
West’s support encouraging Kiev to reject talks, Putin tells German chancellor
Activity report 2022 of the Ministry of Territorial Administration and Infrastructure presented to the Prime Minister
The delegation led by Alen Simonyan to leave for Moscow
U.S. supports Armenian-Azerbaijani direct talks at highest level: Reeker
Two-day conference on strengthening ties between EEU and China launched in Armenia
Armenian FM briefs Canadian counterpart on latest developments around NK conflict
Artsakh will not be a part of Azerbaijan - statement of the MFA of the Republic of Artsakh
Azerbaijan's warmongering statements and manifestations of the use of force and the threat of use of force are unacceptable: meeting of the Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Romania
The Prime Minister leaves for Tunisia on a working visit
Azerbaijan's attempts to abolish the status of Artsakh as a party to the conflict is unacceptable: Artsakh MFA
Putin to attend CSTO summit in Armenia next week, Kremlin confirms
Igor Khovaev to visit Baku
Pashinyan: We don't want to provoke war between CSTO and Azerbaijan
Putin and Erdogan discuss details of creating a gas hub in Turkey: Kremlin
Azerbaijan’s defense ministry spreads another misinformation: MoD Armenia
Armenian Security Council Secretary and Indian PM's Advisor discuss security cooperation
Russia bars entry to 200 US citizens: Russian Foreign Ministry
Nikol Pashinyan and Charles Michel meet in Djerba
Wind: 0.51 km/h