Armen Sarkissian's Message to Erdoghan: “Forgiveness comes after recognition”
Swiss Public TV – RTS – has released excerpts from the interview with Armenian President Armen Sarkissian, tert.am reported.
Ahead of November 11 Remembrance Day, the memorial day to mark the 100th anniversary of the First World War’s end in many countries, the Armenian President has expressed hope that this event will be an occasion to “recognize” or “commemorate the 1915-1916 genocide of the Armenians”.
“I don’t know how one can talk about World War I without touching upon the tragedy that took place nearly 105 years ago and without speaking about the genocide. Recognition or a call by leaders of countries will be highly appreciated by me, by Armenia and the entire Armenian people,” Sarkissian told RTS.
“The recognition of the Armenian Genocide isn’t simply a recognition of a tragedy that concerns one people. First of all this is the first and largest genocide of the 20th century. Because it wasn’t prevented, because a recognition and condemnation didn’t take place, genocides repeated further in the 20th century,” he said.
Asked about a message to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Sarkissian said that he is ready for dialogue and cited his Christian convictions. He didn’t rule out that one day forgiveness will take place, but said that “forgiveness comes after recognition”. He said that this recognition will have broader historic coverage, because the Armenian Genocide is “the first genocide of the 20th century”.
“I would first of all tell Erdogan: “Good morning Mr. President. I believe we have something to discuss. You are the President of Turkey, and I am the President of Armenia. My family, my ancestors are from Erzurum, Van and Bitlis. My old family has a story. Why shouldn’t we speak about the relations between Turkey and Armenia, why shouldn’t we speak about our personal stories? We should speak about not only history, but also the future – the future of our children and grandchildren, about our two peoples. I am a Christian. Christianity teaches that there is always a chance to forgive, however forgiveness can only follow a recognition,” Sarkissian said.
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan: Turkey Threw All That Out The Window Discussing this distorted interpretation, I think, does not even bring us honor because we know the history very well. Armenia’s Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan stated this in an interview with...
- Turkey to Renovate the Largest Armenian Church in the Middle East Surp Giragos and Mar Petyun Chaldean Churches had been awaiting restoration by the community foundations, which were unable to carry out the task due to insufficient funds.
- Mevlut Chavushoghlu: With Karabakh Conflict Unresolved, Normalization of Ties with Armenia Impossible Turkey rules out rapprochement with Armenia without final peace over Artsakh
- Armenia is Ready to Regulate Armenian-Turkish Relations without Pre-Conditions: Nikol Pashinyan Armenia is ready for negotiations for the regulation of relations but not through coercion and threats or by blockade, Pashinyan said.
- Armenia Is Coming Out from the Zurich Process with an Important Achievement The Turkish side, which at the time adopted the thesis of regulating all the problems with the neighbors, could not essentially reject the Armenian side's proposal, as a result of which the Zurich Protocols...
Some Roads Are Closed In Armenia
Members of Homeland Salvation Movement Demand Urgent Meeting with President
Armenia President Decides to Not Sign Draft Decree on Dismissing Army's General Staff Chief
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Search Works of Bodies of Killed Servicemen Resume
Russian Air Border to Stay Open for Armenia’s Citizens by April 1
Armenia Records 172456 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Armenia Armed Forces' Leadership Issues Statement
Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh
The Air Temperature Will Gradually Go Up By 6-8 Degrees
Ambassadors of 27 EU Nations Impose Anti-Russian Sanctions Over Situation Around Navalny
Opposition Rally Kicks Off Near Armenian Parliament (LIVE)
Armenia’s Spitak Mayor Expresses Support to Army
Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy Sentenced to Jail for Corruption
Deputy Governor of Gegharkunik Province Resigned
Armenia’s PM Visits President Sarkissian, Discusses Situation Created in the Country
The Security Council of Armenia Issued a Statement
EU-Armenia Agreement Today Fully Entered Into Force
Kremlin Hails Pashinyan’s Clarification on Iskandars
Nikol Pashinyan Chairs Security Council Meeting
4 More Bodies of Fallen Servicemen Found During Search Operations, Artsakh Authorities Say
Artsakh: Search Օperation not to Be Conducted Today Due to Weather Conditions
3,577 Bodies Passed Forensic Examination, DNA Analysis of Other 428 in Process
Russia to Resume Air Service with Azerbaijan, Armenia Starting February 15
US Troop Withdrawal from Germany ‘Put on Freeze’
Garegin Nzhdeh Statue not Demolished in Martuni Town of Artsakh
Turkish State Channel Showed a Map of Expanding Influence on Armenia, Georgia and a Number of Territories of Russia
Search Operations for War Casualties in Areas Beyond Artsakh’s Control Suspended Indefinitely
Joe Biden Has First Conversation with Xi Jinping as US President
No Bodies Found During Search Operations on Thursday, Artsakh Authorities Say
Wind: 4 km/h