China Shuts Turkey Consulate in Wake of Uygur Row
China has shut down its consulate in Turkey’s second biggest city after repeated criticism by the Islamic country of Beijing’s treatment of Uygur and other Muslims in its far western Xinjiang region, South China Morning Post reports.
“China has decided to temporarily close the consulate in Izmir from February 28, 2019. All diplomatic and consular services of the Izmir consulate will be handled by the Chinese embassy [in Ankara],” according to a notice on the embassy’s WeChat social media account.
The notice went on to say that the decision related solely to internal working arrangements and that work efficiency had been one of the factors taken into account.
The shutdown of the Izmir consulate comes days after Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told a United Nations forum in Geneva that reports of human rights violations in Xinjiang were a cause for serious concern.
“We encourage Chinese authorities and expect that universal human rights, including freedom of religion, are respected and full protection of the cultural identities of the Uygurs and other Muslims is ensured,” Cavusoglu said, according to Al Jazeera.
Cavusoglu’s remarks were the latest in a war of words on the issue between Ankara and Beijing, which began early last month when Turkish leaders described China’s treatment of its Muslim ethnic Uygur people in Xinjiang as “a great embarrassment for humanity”, prompting a strong rebuke from China.
Beijing said the Turkish criticisms were “vile” and, on February 13, its Ankara embassy advised Chinese travelling to Turkey to “be wary and pay attention to their personal safety”.
- Jailed PKK Leader Ocalan 'Ready for a Solution' with Turkey According to the statement issued late on Thursday, Ocalan said that Kurds do not need a separate state within the framework of finding a place for themselves that was consistent with historical Turkish-Kurdish...
- Turkey, US Agree to Set up Operation Centre for Syria Safe Zone The proposed zone aims to secure a strip of land stretching more than 400 km (250 miles) along Syria’s northeastern border with Turkey, much of it controlled by the Kurdish YPG militia that fought with...
- Trump to Discuss Turkey With GOP Senators at White House Next Week Citing two officials familiar with the matter, the report noted that the meeting, which will address "Turkey sanctions," will take place at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.
- EU Agrees Sanctions Against Turkey for Drilling off Cyprus The EU last month warned Turkey it could face sanctions if it did not cease what the bloc called "illegal" drilling in Cyprus's exclusive economic zone.
- Trump Aides Pick Sanctions to Punish Turkey for Russian Missiles The administration chose one of three sets of actions
Alexander Lukashenko Has Congratulated Armenian Apostolic Church Leader on his Birthday
“We Consider you the Friend of Democracy in Armenia" - PM Holds Farewell Meeting with Piotr Switalski
The Government Dismisses the Mayors, then Beats the Deputies Elected by the People: Garo Paylan
Artsakh Republic President Handed in the ''Anania Shirakatsi'' Medal to Famed Geologist from Russia Sergey Vardanyan
Serzh Sargsyan Congratulates His Holiness Garegin II on Birthday
OSCE Mission Monitoring on Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border Passed in Accordance with the Agreed Schedule
Sinquefield Cup: Aronyan Loses in Round 4 of Tournament
PM, RyanAir Representatives Discuss Prospects for Irish Carrier’s Involvement in Armenia
PM Nikol Pashinyan Extends Birthday Greetings to Catholicos of All Armenians
Serbia to Sign Free Trade Zone Agreement with EAEU on October 25
ARF-D offers referendum for the solution of Amulsar issue
Earthquake Hits Armenia
Armenia National Security Service uncovers embezzlement at MOD
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Uruguay’s President Says He Has Lung Cancer
Artsakh President Congratulates His Holiness Garegin II on Birthday
Government Discussed Potential Entry of Ryanair into Armenian Market
Honduras' Ex-First Lady Convicted of Fraud, Embezzlement
Less Water Released from Lake Sevan This Year: Nikol Pashinyan
Venezuelan Leader Nicolás Maduro Confirms Months of Secret US Talks
He Will Be Great: Trump Congratulates Boris Johnson on Becoming UK's New PM
“Our Goal is to Make the Startup a Dominant Mindset in Armenia” - PM Meets with Sevan Startup Summit-2009 Participants (PHOTOS)
Trump Administration Attacks U.S. Aid Program to Artsakh
Armenian Killed in Aleppo
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Met with Prime Minister of the Australian State of New South Wales Gladys Berejiklian
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border More than 900 Times
Our Strength Comes From our Ideas, Country’s Leaders and Country’s Rating: Security Council Secretary
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Delivered a Speech at the Meeting with the Armenian Community of Australia
In Uruguay Garo Paylan Together with His Party Colleague Paid Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of the Armenian Genocide
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border more than 65 Times
Wind: 12 km/h