Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
“If it were not for the Armenian identity in the family I would not have had such accomplishments,” said Seerpoohi Elias, the first female Chief Justice of New Zealand.
Seerpoohi Elias, known in New Zealand as Sian Elias, was born in London, in 1949. Her father, Minas Elias was the descendant of the Armenian Genocide survivors, and her mother was from North Wales. Her parents moved to New Zealand when Seerpoohi was only one.
She earned a law degree from the University of Auckland in 1970, and continued her studies at Stanford University. She took up employment with an Auckland law firm in 1972, beginning her career as a barrister three years later where she stands out for her unique capabilities.
In 1984 Seerpoohi took up the position of Auckland Law Commissioner. She engaged in public activity and shortly after became famous as a zealous fighter against the arbitrariness of bureaucracy. In 1988 Elias was one of the two women made as the Queen’s counsels, according to Barev Today-.
In 1990 she was awarded a New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal in recognition of her services. In 1995 Elias was appointed a member of the High Court and Court of Appeal.
“Sian Elias was the first woman to become a member of the High Court of New Zealand. She is made from iron and blood, impossible to break either with word or with thought,” British journalist Luke Harding characterizes her this way.
In 1999 Elias was sworn in as New Zealand Chief Justice, being the first female in that position (before that the office was held only by men). Upon the order of Queen Elizabeth she occupied the position of Governor-General for three times, when it was vacant.
Seerpoohi had a unique role in the public life of New Zealand. One of her most famous work is the protection of rights of New Zealand’s native Maori people. Due to Seerpoohi’s efforts the Maori people enjoy equal rights in their own country, Armenia Discovery reports.
Elias is married to Hugh Fletcher, former CEO of Fletcher Challenge and a former Chancellor of the University of Auckland. They have two sons. Even though Seerpoohi currently is not involved in the activities of the Armenian organizations in New Zealand she continues to emphasize her Armenian identity.
Due to her activity she managed to form kind attitudes not only towards Armenians in New Zealand but also towards Armenia.
- My Family Was Always Proud of its Armenian Heritage: James Bagian - The Only Armenian in the World, who Has Traveled into Space (EXCLUSIVE) Seeing the Earth from space with you own eyes gives a much greater appreciation for the planet than pictures or videos are capable of imparting.
- Asatour Sarafian, the Inventor of Automatic Transmission For Automobiles Asatour Sarafian, was an Armenian American inventor who patented a number of works, including an automatic transmission for automobiles, the needleless inoculation gun, the primary controls of the first...
- Alexander Leonovich Kemurdzhian, Designer of the First Planet Rover The mission of Kemurdzhian’s life was the design of space technology and participation in the design of the world's first automatic self-propelled apparatus for research on the lunar surface.
- David Tukhmanov, Armenian, Author of the Best Victory Day Song David Tukhmanov, is a remarkable Soviet and Russian composer, author of famous songs, “Victory Day”, “Olympiad – 80” and others.
- Sarkis Torossian, Armenian Hero of Gallipoli Campaign On March 18, 1915, one of the most bloody battles of the WW1, the Battle of Gallipoli broke out (also known as the Dardanelles Campaign or the Battle of Çanakkale). Not many people know that it was directly...
US Puts Up $10 Mln Reward For Hezbollah Information
Japan University Stops Hiring Smoking Professors
At Least 45 Children Killed in Sri Lanka Attacks
Bako Sahakyan attended the individual photo exhibition by Zaven Sargsyan
New Earthquake at 6.4 Magnitude Strikes Philippines
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Kazakh Ruling Party Nominates Tokayev For Presidency
Iranian Parliament Labels Entire U.S. Military As Terrorist
French MP on Notre Dame de Paris Fire: How Can One Blame God For Fire? (Exclusive)
Sri Lanka Attacks "Retaliation For New Zealand Christchurch"
Islamic State Claims Responsibility for Sri Lanka Bombings
Bolton Urges Iran to Change Its Behavior
Allies of Erdogan Plan to Silence Armenian Genocide Protest in Washington
Iran Could Send Revolutionary Guards to Venezuela to Protect Maduro
Chamber of Deputies of Czech Republic Ratifies Armenia-EU CEPA
Ararat Mirzoyan Sends Condolence Message to Speaker of Parliament of Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan Law Enforcement Failed to Address Warnings of Radical Muslim Attacks on Christian Churches
Bako Sahakyan Attended a Presentation, Organized by the National Polytechnic University of Armenia
Security Officials Call Upon Tourists to Leave the Sinai
North Korea's Kim to Meet Putin in Russia
My Family Was Always Proud of its Armenian Heritage: James Bagian - The Only Armenian in the World, who Has Traveled into Space (EXCLUSIVE)
Who is Zahran Hashim, Alleged Mastermind of One of the Sri Lanka Attacks?
Sarkis Torossian, Armenian Hero of Gallipoli Campaign
Eurovision 2019 to Be Canceled?
Sir Khachik Paul Chater, Father of Hong Kong
More Than 70 American Lawmakers Seek US Official Recognition of Armenian Genocide with New Resolution
Armenian Community Has Been Deeply Moved by the Fire of Notre Dame Cathedral: Daniele Cazarian - French Deputy of Armenian Origin (EXCLUSIVE)
Assyrian New Year Stands For Nature Revival And Fertility: Interview With Arsen Mikhailov (EXCLUSIVE)
In Case of Attempts by Azerbaijan to Resolve the Conflict by Force, Artsakh has Every Right to Protect its Freedom and Independence. Artsakh's MFA
It is Not Artsakh Issue, It is All-Armenian Issue: Artsakh Republic National Assembly MP Vardges Baghryan (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6 km/h