Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
“If it were not for the Armenian identity in the family I would not have had such accomplishments,” said Seerpoohi Elias, the first female Chief Justice of New Zealand.
Seerpoohi Elias, known in New Zealand as Sian Elias, was born in London, in 1949. Her father, Minas Elias was the descendant of the Armenian Genocide survivors, and her mother was from North Wales. Her parents moved to New Zealand when Seerpoohi was only one.
She earned a law degree from the University of Auckland in 1970, and continued her studies at Stanford University. She took up employment with an Auckland law firm in 1972, beginning her career as a barrister three years later where she stands out for her unique capabilities.
In 1984 Seerpoohi took up the position of Auckland Law Commissioner. She engaged in public activity and shortly after became famous as a zealous fighter against the arbitrariness of bureaucracy. In 1988 Elias was one of the two women made as the Queen’s counsels, according to Barev Today-.
In 1990 she was awarded a New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal in recognition of her services. In 1995 Elias was appointed a member of the High Court and Court of Appeal.
“Sian Elias was the first woman to become a member of the High Court of New Zealand. She is made from iron and blood, impossible to break either with word or with thought,” British journalist Luke Harding characterizes her this way.
In 1999 Elias was sworn in as New Zealand Chief Justice, being the first female in that position (before that the office was held only by men). Upon the order of Queen Elizabeth she occupied the position of Governor-General for three times, when it was vacant.
Seerpoohi had a unique role in the public life of New Zealand. One of her most famous work is the protection of rights of New Zealand’s native Maori people. Due to Seerpoohi’s efforts the Maori people enjoy equal rights in their own country, Armenia Discovery reports.
Elias is married to Hugh Fletcher, former CEO of Fletcher Challenge and a former Chancellor of the University of Auckland. They have two sons. Even though Seerpoohi currently is not involved in the activities of the Armenian organizations in New Zealand she continues to emphasize her Armenian identity.
Due to her activity she managed to form kind attitudes not only towards Armenians in New Zealand but also towards Armenia.
- Giacomo Luigi Ciamician, Armenian Chemist, the Pioneer of Solar Energy Idea For many years, studying the effects of light on chemical reactions he realized the potential of solar energy application to humanity and industry.
- Ben Baghdikian, Armenian Journalist Who Publicized Pentagon Confidential Papers Ben-Hur Haig Bagdikian was born in Marash, Western Armenia, on January 30, 1920. A survivor of the Armenian Genocide, his family moved to the United States, Massachusetts. His father was a pastor at several...
- Jack Aghazarian, WW2 Special Agent of Armenian Descent Jack Charles Aghazaryan, one of Britain's bravest spies in the Special Forces Department during World War II.
- Anna Kazanjian Longobardo, Armenian, Designer of the American Missile Navigation System In 1949 Anna Longobardo became the first woman to receive a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Columbia University, she was one of the founders of the Society of Women Engineers, which elected her a fellow,...
- Nubar Pasha, Armenian, the First Prime Minister of Egypt "Nubar Pasha is an Egyptian-Armenian politician, Christian and the first Prime Minister of Egypt. An Educated person, who fluently speaks a few languages, he is a genuine diplomat of the time," Brighouse...
Jean-Claude Juncker Cut Holiday Short for Urgent Surgery
Armenian and Russian Defense Ministers Met in Moscow
7th Pan-Armenian Games Closing Ceremony Held in Yerevan
Feast of the Assumption of the Holy Mother of God
Mikael Minasyan: Serzh Sargsyan Will Be Arrested to Sidetrack Armenia Public From Real Issues for a While More (NEWS.am)
Nikol Pashinyan Sums Up the Proceedings of My Step for Kotayk Marz Investment Forum
Organizers Negotiate with Obama for Potential WCIT 2019 Appearance in Yerevan
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
"Our Task is to Get the Best Possible Result for Each Dram Invested and Spent in Every Area" - PM Attends My Step for Kotayk Marz Investment Forum
Russia Refuses to Extradite Ex-Armenian Official Accused of Corruption
Vanadzor-Alaverdi-Bagratashen Highway is Closed for Truck Traffic
Feast of the Apparition ("Shoghakat") of Holy Etchmiadzin
Consultation on Issues of Child Adoption
EEU-Singapore FTZ Deal Likely to be Signed in Yerevan
Trump Administration Mulls $4.3B in Foreign Aid Cuts
Artsakh FM Met with Newly Appointed HALO Trust Head
Trump to Buy Greenland. WSJ
Armenia PM Signs a New Decision
13 States File Lawsuit Over Trump "Public Charge" Rule
PM Congratulates Republic of Korea President on National Day
He Will Be Great: Trump Congratulates Boris Johnson on Becoming UK's New PM
“Our Goal is to Make the Startup a Dominant Mindset in Armenia” - PM Meets with Sevan Startup Summit-2009 Participants (PHOTOS)
President of Artsakh was Present at an Opening of the Gallery of Sculptures and "The Sky of Artsakh" photo exhibition in Shoushi
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border about 95 Times
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Met with Prime Minister of the Australian State of New South Wales Gladys Berejiklian
"The Republic of Armenia Should Reclaim its Once-Glorious Reputation of Industrial Country" - PM Attends "My Step for Shirak Marz" Economic Forum
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border More than 900 Times
Either President of Constitutional Court Must Step Down or Constitutional Reforms Possible: Lena Nazaryan
"The Authority of Each Officer Should be Much Greater than that of His Epaulettes"- Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Graduates of Military Educational Institutions
Armenian Killed in Aleppo
Wind: 19 km/h