US Urges Turkey against Drilling off Cyprus
US officials pressed Turkey on Sunday against going forward with plans to start exploratory drilling for oil and gas off Cyprus, labeled as illegal by the European Union, France24 reports.
"The United States is deeply concerned by Turkey's announced intentions to begin offshore drilling operations in an area claimed by the Republic of Cyprus as its Exclusive Economic Zone," State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement.
"This step is highly provocative and risks raising tensions in the region. We urge Turkish authorities to halt these operations and encourage all parties to act with restraint."
On Friday, Turkey announced its vessels would be carrying out drilling operations in the Mediterranean until September. According to reports in Cypriot media, the operation will encroach on Cyprus's exclusive economic zone.
- Erdogan Tells Trump Turkey Can’t Abandon S-400 Purchase "We explained to Trump that Turkey won’t back down as far as the S-400 systems are concerned. I told Trump how Turkey had come to the decision to buy the S-400 systems and he recognized our right to...
- Trump Offers Trade Deal, Sanctions Workaround to Erdogan The offer is likely to infuriate at least some of the overwhelming House majority that voted last month to impose sanctions on Turkey over its assault into Syria, and a bipartisan group of senators who...
- Putin, Erdogan hold talks on Syria by phone The Turkish presidential office said that at the talks the presidents discussed "bilateral relations and future steps to increase trade".
- Erdogan Says Turkey Will Let Refugees into Europe if EU does not Support It Turkey aims to establish a "safe zone" in northeast Syria, where it says up to 2 million Syrian refugees can settle once the region is cleared of the Kurdish YPG militia.
- State Department Opposes Turkey Sanctions, Genocide Resolution The measure, H.R. 4695, would sanction senior Turkish officials and prohibit them from entering the U.S. It would also bar the transfer of US defense materiel to Turkey for use in Syria, and it would require...
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Armen Sarkissian Invited Businessmen to Make Investments in Armenia: Our Doors are Open for You
Trump Considering Withdrawing up to 4,000 U.S. Troops from South Korea
Presentation of Three-Year-Old St. Mary to the Church
President of Artsakh Signed a Decree on the 2020 Winter Draft and Demobilization.
Donald Tusk Elected President of European People’s Party
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan Watch "The Egyptian Elena" by R. Strauss at La Scala
Armenian PM, Mayor of Milan Discuss Cooperation Prospects
"It is Impossible to Settle the Nagorno-Karabakh Issue Without Hard and Consistent Work, Without Compromise, Mutual Respect, and Balance": Pashinyan
Artsakh will Never be a Constituent of Azerbaijan, and the Issue has no Military Solution: Serzh Sargsyan
Japanese Computer Scientist Takeo Kanade Named Laureate of Armenian Global IT Award 2019
Armenia Army Delegation Participates in Consultations Held at CSTO Joint Staff
PM Visits Mekhitarist Congregation
Armenia Named Most Popular Spot for Russian Travelers in 2019
Armenia Ranked 94th in Global Terrorism Index 2019
ADB Program to Help Improve Education and Health in Armenia
Iran's Rouhani Claims Victory over Unrest and Blames Foreigners
Israel Strikes ‘Dozens’ of Targets in Syria
Armenian PM Nikol Pashinyan Arrives in Italy on Official Visit
Congressional Armenian Caucus Urges to Restore U.S. Military Aid Parity to Armenia and Azerbaijan
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Wind: 5 km/h