Guterres Appoints Movses Abelian of Armenia Under-Secretary-General for General Assembly
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed Movses Abelian of Armenia (as well as a national of Georgia), as the next Under‑Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management. He will succeed Catherine Pollard of Guyana who has been appointed as the Under‑Secretary‑General for Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance.
Mr. Abelian is currently Assistant Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management. Prior to assuming this position in 2016, he was Director of the Security Council Affairs Division in the Department of Political Affairs.
He brings to the position over 25 years of experience in conference and management affairs, coupled with experience in peace and security issues, conflict resolution, as well as extensive expertise leading, supporting and managing complex portfolios and intergovernmental processes in the United Nations system. Mr. Abelian also has extensive experience in management, including programme planning and budget, having previously worked as Secretary of the Administrative and Budgetary Committee of the General Assembly (Fifth Committee) and the Committee on Programme and Coordination at the United Nations.
Prior to joining the United Nations, Mr. Abelian was the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Republic of Armenia to the United Nations (1998‑2003) and Deputy Permanent Representative (1996‑1998). Prior to joining the Foreign Service of Armenia in 1992, Mr. Abelian worked in academia as an Associate Professor at Yerevan State University.
Mr. Abelian was educated in Armenia, the Russian Federation and the United States. He is married and has two children.
- Britain Requests Urgent UN Security Council Meeting on Libya Britain requested the urgent meeting on Thursday, diplomats said, following the order from Khalifa Haftar, a key player opposed to the government in the capital.
- Syria Requests UN Security Council Meeting on Golan The French presidency did not immediately schedule the meeting and diplomats said there would be a discussion at the council about the request.
- Kofi Annan, Former UN Secretary General, Dies Annan’s foundation issued a statement on his Twitter account on Saturday morning that described him as a "global statesman and deeply committed internationalist who fought throughout his life for a fairer...
- UNSC Fails to Pass 3 Resolutions on Syria ''Chem Аttack'' The US, UK and France had earlier indicated they are likely to resort to military action in response to the alleged chemical incident in Douma on Saturday. The Russian envoy once again called for the West...
- UN Chief Warns Another Cold War between Russia and US Guterres called for Washington and Moscow to re-establish lines of communication aimed at preventing any escalation of tensions.
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
For Who the Ministry of Diaspora was Abolished
Bako Sahakyan Participated in the Presentation of the Selected Landmark Decisions of the Artsakh Republic Supreme Court
US President Trump to Visit Seoul After Letters With Kim
Iran Denies Being Hit by US Cyberattack
Kremlin: Georgia in Grip of Russophobic Hysteria
Ekrem Imamoglu: Mayoral Vote Has 'Renewed Our Faith in Democracy And Justice'
Trump Says He is Not 'Looking For War' As He prods Iran For Talks
Ukraine’s Central Election Commission Bars Saakashvili’s Party From Elections
Trump to Visit South Korea This Week For Summit With Moon
Iran Says It Welcomes any Diffusion of Tensions in Region
Magnifier: Office of High Commissioner on Diaspora
OSCE to Conduct Monitoring at Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border
Jeremy Hunt Tells Boris Johnson 'Don't Be a Coward' Over Scrutiny
Insight From Yerevan: Outcomes of Armenia And Azerbaijan FM Meeting
China Says Both U.S., China Should Make Compromises in Trade Talks
Czechs Demand PM Step Down in Largest Protest Since Communist Era
US Launched Cyber Attack on Iranian Computer Systems
Pompeo Heads to Saudi Arabia, UAE For Iran Crisis Talks
Erdogan’s Candidate Concedes Defeat in Istanbul Vote
Our Plans Will Target Reinforcement of Civil Society And Its Role: Naira Karapetyan, Director of ''European Integration'' NGO
"Any Armenian Living Outside the Homeland Should Realize That Their Ultimate Goal is to Return to Armenia": Nikol Pashinyan (PHOTOS)
Giacomo Luigi Ciamician, Armenian Chemist, the Pioneer of Solar Energy Idea
Kosovo's Threats to Join Albania Raise Opportunities For Armenia and Artsakh
Trump’s New Immigration Plan’s Threats to Armenia
Karabakh: "Coercion to Peace" Gaining Ground Again
Artworks on Scarves: Exclusive Interview with “Artuyt” Founder Arevik Arakelyan
Artsakh Should Be Fully Involved in the Humanitarian Events: Expert
There is No Religion For Food, All Are Human Beings
Wind: 27 km/h