Guterres Appoints Movses Abelian of Armenia Under-Secretary-General for General Assembly
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed Movses Abelian of Armenia (as well as a national of Georgia), as the next Under‑Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management. He will succeed Catherine Pollard of Guyana who has been appointed as the Under‑Secretary‑General for Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance.
Mr. Abelian is currently Assistant Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management. Prior to assuming this position in 2016, he was Director of the Security Council Affairs Division in the Department of Political Affairs.
He brings to the position over 25 years of experience in conference and management affairs, coupled with experience in peace and security issues, conflict resolution, as well as extensive expertise leading, supporting and managing complex portfolios and intergovernmental processes in the United Nations system. Mr. Abelian also has extensive experience in management, including programme planning and budget, having previously worked as Secretary of the Administrative and Budgetary Committee of the General Assembly (Fifth Committee) and the Committee on Programme and Coordination at the United Nations.
Prior to joining the United Nations, Mr. Abelian was the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Republic of Armenia to the United Nations (1998‑2003) and Deputy Permanent Representative (1996‑1998). Prior to joining the Foreign Service of Armenia in 1992, Mr. Abelian worked in academia as an Associate Professor at Yerevan State University.
Mr. Abelian was educated in Armenia, the Russian Federation and the United States. He is married and has two children.
- UNSC Adopts Resolution on Libya without Consensus According to Nebenzya, Russia did not support the resolution, because, at present, "there is no clear understanding that all the parties [to the Libyan conflict] are ready to implement this decision."
- UN Ends Peacekeeping Nission in Haiti as Protests Continue Haiti's current uprising grew in late August, with President Jovenel Moise reported to have siphoned off petrol funds during a national fuel shortage as the inflation rate reached over 17%.
- UN Urges ‘Maximum Restraint’ after Israel-Lebanon Border Flare Up On September 1 the Hizbullah movement destroyed an Israeli armored vehicle in the border area, Israel in retaliation attacked with more than 40 missiles the towns of Marun al Ras, Aitarun and Yarun, located...
- UN Chief Urges India, Pakistan to Exercise "Maximum Restraint" over Kashmir The UN secretary-general also appealed for "maximum restraint" and urged India and Pakistan "to refrain from taking steps that could affect" the region's status.
- Britain Requests Urgent UN Security Council Meeting on Libya Britain requested the urgent meeting on Thursday, diplomats said, following the order from Khalifa Haftar, a key player opposed to the government in the capital.
Azerbaijan Opens Fire at Armenia's Koti Village
Another Airplane Carrying Armenian Citizens from Iran Arrives in Yerevan
5,000-Year-Old Anatolian Weapon Discovered in the Armenian Monastery of Venice: It's Said to Belong to Father Ghevond Alishan
Secretary General: CSTO Will Provide Necessary Aid, if Armenia Turn to It
EU Calls for Quick De-Escalation in Syrian Idlib
Putin And Erdogan Discuss Idlib
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Receives Georgian Defense Minister
Video of Alleged Azerbaijani in Armenia was Fabricated, National Security Service Acting Chief Says
Karabakh MFA Issues Comment on 32nd Anniversary of Armenian Pogroms in Azerbaijan’s Sumgait
Weather Forecast in Armenia: Rain Is Expected
Judy Chu Calls for $10 Million in U.S. Aid to Artsakh
Mongolian President Under Virus Quarantine
Nikol Pashinyan Pays Tribute To The Memory Of Victims Of Sumgait
Nikol Pashinyan Offers Condolences Over Death of Historian Samvel Karapetyan
Canadian Lawmakers Have Commemorated the Sumgait and Baku Pogroms
President Sarkissian Extends Condolences Over Death of Expert of Medieval Architecture Samvel Karapetyan
Georgian Defense Minister Visited The Armenian Genocide Memorial
Bako Sahakyan Laid Flowers For The Memory Of The Sumgait Pogroms
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
North Atlantic Council Meets For Consultations On The Situation In Syria
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
The Jewish Press: Turkey Working to Take Over Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City
Nikol Pashinyan Made A Motion To Grant Armenian Citizenship To A 105-Year Old Italian-Armenian
The people of Artsakh have never participated in the elections of Azerbaijan either now, or throughout the entire history of the Republic of Azerbaijan: Anna Naghdalyan
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
ANCA Calls on US to Match Armenia and Azerbaijan Military Assistance
Wind: 5 km/h