Guterres Appoints Movses Abelian of Armenia Under-Secretary-General for General Assembly
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed Movses Abelian of Armenia (as well as a national of Georgia), as the next Under‑Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management. He will succeed Catherine Pollard of Guyana who has been appointed as the Under‑Secretary‑General for Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance.
Mr. Abelian is currently Assistant Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management. Prior to assuming this position in 2016, he was Director of the Security Council Affairs Division in the Department of Political Affairs.
He brings to the position over 25 years of experience in conference and management affairs, coupled with experience in peace and security issues, conflict resolution, as well as extensive expertise leading, supporting and managing complex portfolios and intergovernmental processes in the United Nations system. Mr. Abelian also has extensive experience in management, including programme planning and budget, having previously worked as Secretary of the Administrative and Budgetary Committee of the General Assembly (Fifth Committee) and the Committee on Programme and Coordination at the United Nations.
Prior to joining the United Nations, Mr. Abelian was the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Republic of Armenia to the United Nations (1998‑2003) and Deputy Permanent Representative (1996‑1998). Prior to joining the Foreign Service of Armenia in 1992, Mr. Abelian worked in academia as an Associate Professor at Yerevan State University.
Mr. Abelian was educated in Armenia, the Russian Federation and the United States. He is married and has two children.
- UN Urges ‘Maximum Restraint’ after Israel-Lebanon Border Flare Up On September 1 the Hizbullah movement destroyed an Israeli armored vehicle in the border area, Israel in retaliation attacked with more than 40 missiles the towns of Marun al Ras, Aitarun and Yarun, located...
- UN Chief Urges India, Pakistan to Exercise "Maximum Restraint" over Kashmir The UN secretary-general also appealed for "maximum restraint" and urged India and Pakistan "to refrain from taking steps that could affect" the region's status.
- Britain Requests Urgent UN Security Council Meeting on Libya Britain requested the urgent meeting on Thursday, diplomats said, following the order from Khalifa Haftar, a key player opposed to the government in the capital.
- Syria Requests UN Security Council Meeting on Golan The French presidency did not immediately schedule the meeting and diplomats said there would be a discussion at the council about the request.
- Kofi Annan, Former UN Secretary General, Dies Annan’s foundation issued a statement on his Twitter account on Saturday morning that described him as a "global statesman and deeply committed internationalist who fought throughout his life for a fairer...
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
World Cup: Levon Aronyan Starts 1/8 Final with Draw
I am optimistic about the future. I do believe in the wisdom of our people: Serzh Sargsyan
Armenian President addresses congratulatory message on Independence Day
Google Changes Doodle to Mark Armenia’s 28th Anniversary of Independence
Armenia’s highest leadership visited the Yerablur Pantheon
Tbilisi billboards display messages with the theme of Armenia’s Independence
Armenia Now Has a Unique Opportunity to Fight Corruption: Pompeo
Hadrut region of Artsakh and the Department of Isere of France sign decleration of friendship
Artsakh's President sends congratulatory messages to Armenian President and PM
Private Equity Investment Fund Opened in Armenia with EU-EBRD Support
Foreign Ministers of Armenia, Artsakh clarify positions prior to Mnatsakanyan-Mammadyarov meeting
Armenia Marks the 28th Anniversary of Independence
"We Should Add Momentum to the Fight Against Corruption" – PM Chairs Consultative Meeting
Yerevan Court Denies Bail Petition, Ex-President Kocharyan to Remain in Custody
Saudi Arabia ‘Bullies’ Wealthy Families to Pump Cash into Oil IPO
Beijing-2022 Olympic Mascot Unveiled
Queen Elizabeth II Sent Congratulations to President Sarkissian on the Occasion of Independence Day
Facebook CEO Zuckerberg Meets Trump
Defense Minister: Exchange of Armenian Captives with Azerbaijani Saboteurs not Ruled Out
Famous Russian Singer Lyubov Uspenskaya Performed an Armenian Song in Azerbaijan (VIDEO)
Models and Celebrities Love Kim Kardashian's Vogue Arabia Cover
Armenia Marks the 28th Anniversary of Independence
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Armenia PM: If Government Were Subjected to Pressure on Teghut Matter, Over 900 People Would Again Be Unemployed
Jerusalem Municipality Plans to Reconstruct the Armenian Patriarchate Road
Commemoration of Sts. John the Baptist and Job the Righteous
Georgian Parliament Approves New Prime Minister Giorgi Gakharia
CSTO Will Always Welcome Cooperation with all the Former Republics of the USSR: Deputy Prime Minister of Russia
The Proposal for Organizing a Meeting Between Armenian and Azerbaijani Foreign Ministers Was Voiced by the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group
Wind: 15 km/h