UN Ends Peacekeeping Nission in Haiti as Protests Continue
Making good on a 2017 vote, on Tuesday the UN Security Council ended its 15-year mission to stabilize Haiti, leaving a mixed legacy in a country that has entered a fifth week of anti-government protests, Deutsche Welle reports.
The UN first sent peacekeepers after the overthrow of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide by the army in 2004 under the pressure of a popular uprising. In 2017, the United Nations replaced those soldiers with a police mission to train Haiti's forces, gradually reducing the number of officers from 1,300 to 600 and now to zero, with a scaled-down political operation to remain.
Haiti's current uprising grew in late August, with President Jovenel Moise reported to have siphoned off petrol funds during a national fuel shortage as the inflation rate reached over 17%. The response has left at least 20 people dead and more than 200 injured. Schools sit shuttered.
- UN Secretary General Called COVID-19 a Number One Global Security Threat The coronavirus pandemic has gotten out of hand and the number of its victims will soon surpass 1 mln, Antonio Guterres said. "Soon, we will pass the grimmest of milestones: 1 million lives lost to the...
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Addressed a Letter to the UN Secretary The assistance and access of the United Nations specialized agencies including and especially of the World Health Organization to the people residing in the conflict-affected areas is essential in this...
- UN's Guterres Criticizes Trump's Move to Cut WHO Funding “The lessons learned will be essential to effectively address similar challenges, as they may arise in the future. But now is not that time,” the UN leader continued in a statement.
- UNSC Adopts Resolution on Libya without Consensus According to Nebenzya, Russia did not support the resolution, because, at present, "there is no clear understanding that all the parties [to the Libyan conflict] are ready to implement this decision."
- UN Urges ‘Maximum Restraint’ after Israel-Lebanon Border Flare Up On September 1 the Hizbullah movement destroyed an Israeli armored vehicle in the border area, Israel in retaliation attacked with more than 40 missiles the towns of Marun al Ras, Aitarun and Yarun, located...
Armenia Records 129085 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Ex-Education Minister Arayik Harutyunyan Gets New Post
Stepantsminda-Larsi Highway is Open only for Trucks
PM Holds Another Meeting with Families of Captured and Missing Persons
Humanitarian Aid Sent by Russian Emergency Situations Ministry to Be Delivered to Shushi and Stepanakert
Debates on Recognition of Artsakh’s Independence to Kick Off in French Senate on November 25
Ara Ayvazyan Holds Telephone Conversation with US Deputy Secretary of State
We Must Reform Our Thinking in Order to Achieve the Goals We Have Set - PM Introduces Newly Appointed ESCS Minister
Vladimir Putin Held Telephone Conversations with Pashinyan and Aliyev
Russia Expects International Organizations to Take Part in Karabakh Settlement: Putin
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Former Member of Constitutional Court Kim Balayan Declares Hunger Strike, Demands Criminal Persecution Against Pashinyan
Armenia Army General Astvatsatur Petrosyan Dies
Armenia Records 127522 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Stepantsminda-Larsi Highway is Closed for Trucks
PM Meets with Families of Captured and Missing People
Farewell Ceremony for Armenia 3rd President's Wife to Be Held Only with Family Members
Armenia's NA Speaker Has a Telephone Talk with RF State Duma Speaker Vyacheslav Volodin
Russian Peacekeeper Wounded in Mine Explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
Prime Minister Pashinyan Offers Ararat Mirzoyan Birthday Greetings
The Condition of Armenian hit by Turk National with Hammer in France is Grave (video)
Cher Appeals to US Government to Help Armenia, Artsakh (VIDEO)
Kim Kardashian Speaks on Artsakh Peace Deal: This is Goodbye, for Now
Peaceful Armenian Demonstration in France Attacked by Knife, Hammer-Wielding Turkish Nationals
Glendale Officially Recognizes Artsakh Independence, Calls on US President, Congress to Follow Lead
Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Held Phone Conversations with the Representatives of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair Countries
Territorial Concessions and the Announced Terms Have Not Been Discussed with the Authorities of Artsakh: Vahram Poghosyan
A New Era Starts in the Caucasus: Georgian President
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Wind: 4 km/h