USA and China Sign First Phase of US-China Trade Deal
Donald Trump and Chinese Vice Premier Liu He signed an initial "Phase One" trade agreement Wednesday, freezing a 20-month trade war between Washington and Beijing and opening the door to a more-substantial "Phase Two" deal, The Hill reports.
The deal, text of which was not released ahead of the signing, is said to include commitments by China to buy $200 billion of U.S. goods, including as much as $50 billion in agricultural products over two years.
"Today we take a momentous step, one that has never been taken before with China, toward a future of fair and reciprocal trade as we sign Phase One of the historic trade deal between the United States and China," Trump said.
"Together we are righting the wrongs of the past and delivering a future of economic justice and security for American workers, farmers and families."
The deal will halve 15 percent tariffs on $120 billion of Chinese imports, but leave 25 percent tariffs on an additional $250 billion of imports in place. Agreement on the deal prevented a planned increase in the tariff rate in October and a new round of tariffs in December.
Businesses are eagerly awaiting the text of the agreement, with trade watchers raising concerns about enforceability and the extent of China’s commitment.
Speaking to CNBC Wednesday morning, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said that Trump could reimpose tariffs in the event that China reneges on its commitments.
Mnuchin noted that the first part of the deal included provisions on intellectual property, forced technology transfer, agriculture, financial services and currency, but agreed that significant issues remain for future negotiations.
"There are certain areas of other services away from financial services that will be in Phase Two. There’s certain additional cybersecurity issues that will be in Phase Two. So, there are still more issues to deal with. And we’ll address those," he said.
- Bloobmerge: The World Economy will Lose $ 5 Trillion from Coronavirus Although the downturn is predicted to be short-lived, it’ll take time for economies to make up the lost ground. Even with unprecedented levels of monetary and fiscal stimulus, gross domestic product...
- Saudis Take Big Stakes in European Oil Companies: WSJ The stakes in Equinor ASA, Royal Dutch Shell PLC, Total SA and Eni SpA were all bought by the Public Investment Fund on the open market in recent weeks, said the people, who added that the fund might continue...
- World Economy Faces $5 Trillion Hit: Bloomberg Although the downturn is predicted to be short-lived, it’ll take time for economies to make up the lost ground.
- Natural Reduction in US Oil Production Cannot be Counted as OPEC+ Cut, Says Kremlin "Those are various cuts. You compare the total demand contraction with cuts for stabilizing global markets, which means comparing apples and oranges," he said.
- Oil Falls After Saudi Arabia, Russia Delay Meeting At 0814 GMT, Brent was down $1.10, or 3.2%, at $33.01 a barrel. U.S. crude CLc1 were 84 cents, or 3%, lower at $27.50 a barrel, off a session low of $25.28.
Armenia's Coronavirus Spread Doubling Rate Comes Near to 10 Days: Minister
Two More Coronavirus Cases Registered in Artsakh
Armenian National Team is 102th in FIFA/Coca Cola World Rankings
Up to 150 Members of the Saudi Royal Family Infected With Coronavirus
Armenia: Government Approves 10th Activity to Support Micro-Businesses as Part of Ots Effort to Offset the Impact of COVID-19
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Held a Phone Conversation with the Foreign Minister of of Lithuania
Artsakh Defense Army Commander Chairs Military Council Session
Balkaneu: The Son of the Serbian President Tests Positive for COVID-19
Bloobmerge: The World Economy will Lose $ 5 Trillion from Coronavirus
Such Matter Doesn’t Exist on Agenda: Armenia on Report About Turkey Offering Support
Bako Sahakyan Instructs to Strengthen Border Control at Checkpoints
Georgia to Evacuate Georgian, Armenian Students from USA
Armenia: the Air Temperature will Go up
Armenia: 80-Year Old Patient Died from Coronavirus
Armenian PM: The Released Money is Not Even 10% of the Planned Relief
Saudis Take Big Stakes in European Oil Companies: WSJ
President of China Sent a Letter to the President of Armenia: I am Ready Together with You to Take Efforts to Protect Life and Health of our Peoples
Ministry of Health: Coronavirus Patient in Artsakh Republic is in Stable Condition
Armenia Records 921 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
US Coronavirus Death Toll Rates Second Highest in the World: Reuters
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Turkish President Expressed Readiness to Provide Armenia with the Provision of Medicine
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Catholicos Aram I Held Phone Talk with Noubar Afeyan over Coronavirus Vaccine
Statement of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the military incident at the Armenian-Azerbaijani border
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Baku’s Refusal of the Illusions of Restoring Its ''Territorial Integrity'' Will Help to Proceed with the Peace Process: Artsakh MFA
Artsakh President Chaired an Enlarged Meeting of the Interdepartmental Commission Coordinating the Prevention of the Spread of the Novel Coronavirus
Wind: 6 km/h