USA and China Sign First Phase of US-China Trade Deal
Donald Trump and Chinese Vice Premier Liu He signed an initial "Phase One" trade agreement Wednesday, freezing a 20-month trade war between Washington and Beijing and opening the door to a more-substantial "Phase Two" deal, The Hill reports.
The deal, text of which was not released ahead of the signing, is said to include commitments by China to buy $200 billion of U.S. goods, including as much as $50 billion in agricultural products over two years.
"Today we take a momentous step, one that has never been taken before with China, toward a future of fair and reciprocal trade as we sign Phase One of the historic trade deal between the United States and China," Trump said.
"Together we are righting the wrongs of the past and delivering a future of economic justice and security for American workers, farmers and families."
The deal will halve 15 percent tariffs on $120 billion of Chinese imports, but leave 25 percent tariffs on an additional $250 billion of imports in place. Agreement on the deal prevented a planned increase in the tariff rate in October and a new round of tariffs in December.
Businesses are eagerly awaiting the text of the agreement, with trade watchers raising concerns about enforceability and the extent of China’s commitment.
Speaking to CNBC Wednesday morning, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said that Trump could reimpose tariffs in the event that China reneges on its commitments.
Mnuchin noted that the first part of the deal included provisions on intellectual property, forced technology transfer, agriculture, financial services and currency, but agreed that significant issues remain for future negotiations.
"There are certain areas of other services away from financial services that will be in Phase Two. There’s certain additional cybersecurity issues that will be in Phase Two. So, there are still more issues to deal with. And we’ll address those," he said.
- Gas Prices in Europe Drop Below $1,000 The price of December futures on the TTF hub in the Netherlands dropped to $ 993 per 1,000 cubic meters, or € 85 per MWh (based on the current EUR / USD exchange rate, ICE prices are presented in euros...
- G20 Calls on IMF to Set up New Fund to Finance Low-Income Countries The G20 leaders also welcomed the IMF’s initiative to allocate SDRs worth 650 billionn US dollars in additional reserves to help the most vulnerable countries.
- World Oil Prices Falling Accordingly, the WTI crude oil futures for May fell by 0.69 percent to $64.47 a barrel.
- Lavrov Considers it Necessary for Russia to Get Away from Using US Dollar "So, we [Russia] must reduce the risk of sanctions by strengthening our technological independence, switching to national currencies that are an alternative to the [US] dollar, and switching to calculations...
- UN Improves Forecast of Global Economic Growth for Current Year The global economy is expected to grow 4.7% this year - faster than forecast in September (4.3%), thanks in part to a stronger recovery in the United States, where progress in vaccine distribution and...
Prime Minister of Armenia Sums Up the Results of the Trilateral Meeting in Sochi
Armenia Defense Minister Meets with Karabakh President, Situation on Artsakh-Azerbaijan Line of Contact Discussed
Congratulatory Message of Stanislav Zas to Suren Papikyan
Armenian Prime Minister, Russian President, Azerbaijani President Adopt Joint Statement
Armenia is Ready to Start the Process of Border Delimitation and Demarcation: the Speech of Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan at Trilateral Negotiations in Sochi
Armenia, Belarus Seek to Increase Mutual Trade
Putin Will Hold a Meeting of Security Council on November 26: Peskov
Putin Regrets that Incidents Still Occur in Karabakh
Putin Holds Bilateral Meeting with Aliyev
President of the Artsakh Republic Sent a Condolence Letter to Vladimir Putin
Armenian Embassy Condemns New “Despicable and Futile” Azeri Propaganda Provocation in Thessaloniki
PM Pashinyan Arrives in Sochi on a Working Visit
Delegation Led by RA NA President Alen Simonyan Takes Part in Conference and IPA CIS Council Meeting in Saint Petersburg
Azerbaijan Returns Two Armenian Captives
PM Pashinyan Pays Working Visit to Russia
Armenia Records 337005 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Roads are Mainly Passable in the Republic of Armenia
Armenian, Russian Military Held Joint Drills
Alen Simonyan Meets with Director of Europe Regional Office at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in Saint Petersburg
The Government Allocates Another Funding for Solving the Priority Problems in Syunik Province
Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country
Trilateral Working Group Most Optimal Format for Unblocking Communications: Zakharova
PM Pashinyan receives Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the RF Armed Forces
The Government Will Provide Another Financial Assistance of 13 Billion 575 Million AMD to the Republic of Artsakh
Armenia Records 304546 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Facebook Changes Its Name to Meta in Major Rebrand
Armenian Scientists Become Eligible for the EU's Largest Funding Program
Man Detained near Shushi to Be Handed over to Artsakh Law Enforcement Agencies: Ombudsman
Artsakh National Security Service Releases Statement on Incident Near Shushi Checkpoint
Biden Meets with Pope Francis at the Vatican