USA and China Sign First Phase of US-China Trade Deal
Donald Trump and Chinese Vice Premier Liu He signed an initial "Phase One" trade agreement Wednesday, freezing a 20-month trade war between Washington and Beijing and opening the door to a more-substantial "Phase Two" deal, The Hill reports.
The deal, text of which was not released ahead of the signing, is said to include commitments by China to buy $200 billion of U.S. goods, including as much as $50 billion in agricultural products over two years.
"Today we take a momentous step, one that has never been taken before with China, toward a future of fair and reciprocal trade as we sign Phase One of the historic trade deal between the United States and China," Trump said.
"Together we are righting the wrongs of the past and delivering a future of economic justice and security for American workers, farmers and families."
The deal will halve 15 percent tariffs on $120 billion of Chinese imports, but leave 25 percent tariffs on an additional $250 billion of imports in place. Agreement on the deal prevented a planned increase in the tariff rate in October and a new round of tariffs in December.
Businesses are eagerly awaiting the text of the agreement, with trade watchers raising concerns about enforceability and the extent of China’s commitment.
Speaking to CNBC Wednesday morning, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said that Trump could reimpose tariffs in the event that China reneges on its commitments.
Mnuchin noted that the first part of the deal included provisions on intellectual property, forced technology transfer, agriculture, financial services and currency, but agreed that significant issues remain for future negotiations.
"There are certain areas of other services away from financial services that will be in Phase Two. There’s certain additional cybersecurity issues that will be in Phase Two. So, there are still more issues to deal with. And we’ll address those," he said.
- Trump Says Ready to Help end Saudi-Russian Oil-Price War The threat of a global recession triggered by the coronavirus pandemic had already hammered prices when Riyadh said last month it would raise exports after a production-cut agreement among top producers...
- WTI Oil Price Breaks $20 Barrier for First Time Since 2002 The oil prices continue to be rattled amid news on continuous increase of coronavirus cases around the world.
- Iraq Proposes Budget Cuts to Foreign Oil Firms After Oil Pice Crash Iraqi officials said low oil prices have forced the oil ministry to review its plans on how to repay international oil companies (IOCs) their dues during the first six months of the year. The ministry...
- G20 Leaders Commit to United Front Against Pandemic- Reuters During an video conference of the world’s major economies, the leaders said they were committed to restoring confidence, preserving financial stability and reviving growth.
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
Putin, Erdogan Discuss Cooperation in Returning Russians Home from Turkey: TASS
89-Year-Old Coronavirus-Infected Citizen Dies in Armenia
Statement by the Foreign Ministry of the Republic of Artsakh on the National Elections Held in the Republic
Trump Acknowledged Downplaying the Coronavirus Threat: The Business Insider
Saudi Arabia Asks Muslims to Delay Hajj Bookings: BBC
Armenia's Security Council Secretary Held a Telephone Conversation with CSTO Secretary-General Stanislav Zas
President of Artsakh Receives Delegation of Armenia’s Television and Radio Commission
Preliminary Results of the Artsakh General Elections Have Been Announced
Trump Says Ready to Help end Saudi-Russian Oil-Price War
Gazprom Armenia Plans to Increase Natural Gas Price for Consumers
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Armenia’s Assyrian Community on Assyrian New Year
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenia President Signs Controversial Package of Laws
TASS: Eurovision to Hold Special Concert Instead of Contest Cancelled due to Pandemic
Chairman Pallone Calls for Immediate Suspension of Military Aid to Azerbaijan
President Sarkissian Proposed the German Side to Look Into the Possibility of Establishing in Armenia a Joint Venture on the Production of Artificial Lung Ventilation Devices
Armenia Records 571 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
CNN: Trump Warns of 'Painful Two Weeks' as Officials Predict up to 240,000 US Coronavirus Deaths
Venezuelan Officials Reject US Initiative on Transitional Government
72.7% of Eligible Citizens of Artsakh Participate in National Elections
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Daughter of Emir of Kuwait Told about Her Armenian Grandmother, who Survived the Armenian Genocide
Kim Kardashian Visits White House with Prisoners She Helped Free
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Wind: 3 km/h