Trump, Erdogan Discuss Tensions in Iran, Syria, Libya
President Trump on Wednesday spoke with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan about simmering tensions across the Middle East, according to the White House, The Hill reports.
A White House spokesman said the two leaders discussed protests in Iran, where citizens have flooded the streets to express frustration with leaders in Tehran, as well as the Iranians shooting down a Ukrainian International Airlines passenger jet.
The U.S. and Iran appeared to step back last week from the brink of military conflict, tamping down tensions that spiked after Trump approved a strike that killed top Iranian gen. Qassem Soleimani. Tehran responded to Soleimani's death by firing missiles at Iraqi bases housing U.S. troops, but there were no casualties.
A short time later, the Ukrainian aircraft was shot down shortly after it departed an airport in Tehran, killing 176 people on board. After originally denying responsibility, Iran admitted that it unintentionally shot down the Ukrainian aircraft.
Trump and Erdogan also discussed conflicts in Libya and Syria, according to the White House. Both countries are grappling with faltering ceasefires.
Trump last year announced the U.S. would pull troops out of northern Syria, paving the way for a Turkish offensive in the region that targeted the American-allied Kurdish forces that Ankara considers terrorists.
The decision sparked a furor in Congress as Democrats and Republicans accused Trump of giving a "green light" to Turkey to slaughter the Kurds. Trump denied he had done so and later sent Vice President Mike Pence to broker a ceasefire.
- Erdoğan in Talks with European Leaders Over Refugee Cash for Turkey In a phone call on Tuesday between the French president, Emmanuel Macron, the British prime minister, Boris Johnson, the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, and Erdoğan, the leaders discussed the possibility...
- US Asks Turkey to Guarantee S-400 Systems Won't Come into Operation — Erdogan The Turkish president said on March 6, however, that Turkey would start deploying S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems in April.
- EU "Strongly Rejects" Turkey’s "Use" of Migrants at Border "The EU and its member states remain determined to effectively protect EU’s external borders," the ministers wrote in the statement.
- Erdogan Expects Ceasefire to be Declared in Idlib Following Moscow Talks Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov was hopeful earlier on Wednesday that talks between Presidents Vladimir Putin of Russia and Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, scheduled for March 5, would make it possible...
- Erdogan Hopes to Meet with Putin on March 5 ‘in the Worst-Case Scenario’ The Turkish leader stressed that the bilateral meeting with Putin could be held in Ankara and in Istanbul.
Lavrov, Pompeo Discuss Coronavirus Situation, Results of G20 Summit- TASS
Artsakh Central Electoral Commission Chairperson Receives Armenia MPs
3 Armenian Servicemen Wounded from Azerbaijan's Gunshots
Putin, Trump Discuss Oil Markets, Coronavirus by Phone: Reuters
Prince Charles Is out of Isolation after Contracting Coronavirus: CNN
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Government to Provide Support to Workers in a Number of Sectors, Pregnant Women and Job-Seekers: 3 New anti-Crisis Packages Adopted
New Dates For Tokyo Olympics Games Confirmed
Local Governments in China Issue Free Digital Coupons to Stimulate Consumption Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
Bloomberg: Bulgaria’s Euro Accession Dream Stumbles as Virus Spreads
Earthquake Hits 33 km North-East from Karvachar Town
European Commission Reallocated €140 million For The Most Immediate Needs In The Eastern Partnership Countries
The Amazing Finalists in the 2020 Hair-Freezing Contest
Another Armenia Soldier Diagnosed With Coronavirus
Yemen's Houthi Militias Claim Responsibility for Botched Attack on Saudi Arabia
WTI Oil Price Breaks $20 Barrier for First Time Since 2002
TASS: Tehran Calls US Sanctions Amid Coronavirus Pandemic ‘Medical Terrorism’
Bako Sahakyan Sent a Condolence Letter to the Family of Patrick Devedjian
North Korea Says Tested Multiple Rocket Launcher
Number of Coronavirus Cases in Armenia Reach 482
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Daughter of Emir of Kuwait Told about Her Armenian Grandmother, who Survived the Armenian Genocide
Kim Kardashian Visits White House with Prisoners She Helped Free
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Wind: 7 km/h