Trump, Erdogan Discuss Tensions in Iran, Syria, Libya
President Trump on Wednesday spoke with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan about simmering tensions across the Middle East, according to the White House, The Hill reports.
A White House spokesman said the two leaders discussed protests in Iran, where citizens have flooded the streets to express frustration with leaders in Tehran, as well as the Iranians shooting down a Ukrainian International Airlines passenger jet.
The U.S. and Iran appeared to step back last week from the brink of military conflict, tamping down tensions that spiked after Trump approved a strike that killed top Iranian gen. Qassem Soleimani. Tehran responded to Soleimani's death by firing missiles at Iraqi bases housing U.S. troops, but there were no casualties.
A short time later, the Ukrainian aircraft was shot down shortly after it departed an airport in Tehran, killing 176 people on board. After originally denying responsibility, Iran admitted that it unintentionally shot down the Ukrainian aircraft.
Trump and Erdogan also discussed conflicts in Libya and Syria, according to the White House. Both countries are grappling with faltering ceasefires.
Trump last year announced the U.S. would pull troops out of northern Syria, paving the way for a Turkish offensive in the region that targeted the American-allied Kurdish forces that Ankara considers terrorists.
The decision sparked a furor in Congress as Democrats and Republicans accused Trump of giving a "green light" to Turkey to slaughter the Kurds. Trump denied he had done so and later sent Vice President Mike Pence to broker a ceasefire.
- Azerbaijani FM Informed Turkish FM About the Attack On the Azerbaijani Embassy In London During the telephone conversation, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkiye expressed concern about the attack of a gang of radical religious groups on the building of the Embassy of the Republic of...
- Turkey Not to Compromise on Issue of Sweden’s, Finland’s NATO Membership — Erdogan Until Sweden and Finland stop supporting terrorist organizations, they should not expect us to be positive about their membership in NATO.
- Turkey’s Erdogan meets with Iran’s Supreme Leader in Tehran The meeting was held in a closed format for the press and lasted 40 minutes.
- Erdogan Says US Delays Deliveries of F-16 Fighter Jets To Turkish Air Force This issue is still on the table, Erdogan explained at a press conference before leaving for the NATO summit in Madrid.
- There Will Be No Early Elections In Turkey: Erdogan General elections in the country – both presidential and parliamentary – will be held in Turkey in June 2023.
Erdogan Expresses Support to Aliyev Regarding Military Aggression Against Karabakh
Artsakh Security Council Secretary Visits Berdzor to Inspect Construction of New Route
French Police Shoot Knife-Wielding Man at Charles de Gaulle Airport
Japan Keeps Finance Minister, Foreign Minister In New Cabinet Line-up
No Major Ceasefire Violations Recorded – Artsakh MoD
Artsakh President Orders Discharge of Partial Mobilization Draftees
PM Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message to the President of Ecuador
Referendum on LPR’s Accession to Russia Possible after Liberation of DPR: LPR’s Head
Armenia to Launch Ferry Service from Georgian Poti Port to Russian Kavkaz Port in August
Biden Signs Protocols on Finland’s and Sweden’s Accession to NATO
No Violations Recorded in the Area of Responsibility of Russian Peacekeeping Troops: Russian MoD
Azerbaijan has Alternative to Communicate with Nakhchivan Through Iran, Bypassing Armenia: Bayramov
The RA Minister of Defence Received the Ambassador of the Republic of Belarus
Azerbaijan to Lose Control Over Aghanus Village with Launch of New Corridor, Says Artsakh Infrastructure Minister
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
Stop Issuing Tourist Visas to Russians- Kaja Kallas
Azerbaijan President Travels to Turkey
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message to the Newly Elected Prime Minister of Kuwait
Biden to Sign NATO Accession Protocols for Sweden, Finland on August 9
Vahagn Khachaturyan Sent a Congratulatory Message to the President of Singapore Halimah Yacob
Russia Supports Normalization of Armenia-Turkey Relations: Zakharova
Azerbaijani Special Services Continue Hacking Armenian Accounts of Facebook – NSS Artsakh
EU Will Not Recognise Passports Distributed By Russia To Ukrainians: Josep Borrell
Faith, Patriotism, Professionalism are Among Effective Mechanisms for Fighting Eternal Enemies: David Babayan
Armenian Film Producer Armen Grigoryan Dies In Courtroom
Edvard Asryan Appointed Chef of Staff of Armenia’s Armed Forces
Armenian PM Receives Participants of 2022 Golden Apricot Yerevan International Film Festival
Prime Minister Pashinyan Receives US CIA Director William Burns
Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs to Meet in Tbilisi
Armenia Plans to Open Diplomatic Office in Cyprus
Wind: 2.57 km/h