Trump Says Ready to Help end Saudi-Russian Oil-Price War
US President Donald Trump said Tuesday he was ready to help resolve an escalating oil price war between Russia and Saudi Arabia that has helped push crude benchmarks to 17-year lows, France24 reports.
The threat of a global recession triggered by the coronavirus pandemic had already hammered prices when Riyadh said last month it would raise exports after a production-cut agreement among top producers flopped in early March.
On Monday, Saudi Arabia said it would increase exports further to a record 10.6 million barrels per day from May, deepening a global supply glut as crude recorded its biggest monthly and quarterly price plunges in history.
Trump said he had spoken with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman by phone with the aim of halting the slide.
"The two countries are discussing it. And I am joining at the appropriate time, if need be," Trump said.
Saudi Arabia had been exporting around 7.0 million barrels per day under an output reduction agreement among a 24-member producer alliance known as OPEC+, which included Russia.
OPEC+ failed to reach an agreement on further production cuts to shore up sagging prices as the coronavirus battered the global economy last month.
Analysts say Riyadh is engaged in a deliberate long-term strategy to capture greater market share by pressuring its high-cost rivals.
"Saudi policy will not just drive more expensive forms of oil production out of the market; it will also make it harder for renewable energy to compete with fossil fuels," said Bernard Haykel, a Saudi expert at Princeton University.
The price war has also hit shale oil producers in the US, with Trump telling Tuesday's press conference that the production dispute threatened "thousands and thousands" of jobs.
In a letter last week to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, a group of US senators accused Saudi Arabia and Russia of waging "economic warfare against the United States".
- OPEC and its Allies Led by Russia to Hold a Meeting on June 6 Two sources at OPEC + reported that Russia and Saudi Arabia agreed to extend the current terms of the agreement, which would imply a 9.7-million-barrel decrease in production per day in May and June, with...
- The US and China are on the Brink of a new Cold War that Could Devastate the Global Economy "We're essentially in the beginnings of a Cold War," Orville Schell, the director of the Center on US-China Relations at the Asia Society, told Insider. "We are on a downward slide into something increasingly...
- China Announces New Tariff Waivers for Some U.S. Imports The ministry did not disclose the imports value of the products. Beijing in February said it would grant exemptions for 696 U.S. goods including key products such as soybeans and pork based on applications...
- Brent Crude Oil Prices Reach $ 29.78 Per Barrel The price of July futures for North Sea Brent crude oil rose 0.47% up to $ 29.78 per barrel, while June futures for WTI crude oil rose 1.08% up to $ 24.4 per barrel.
- UK and US Kick off Trade Deal Negotiations The restart of talks comes as the UK must negotiate a trade agreement with the EU, following Brexit, and in the midst of a pandemic that threatens to upend the global economy.
Kirk Kerkorian: to be Sad in a Mercedes is Better than in a Bus
Armenia PM: Access to, from Dzoragyugh Vllage to be Banned Today
Artsakh Republic President Visited the Special Purpose Department of the National Security Service
PM: "I do Believe in Our Citizens’ Ability to Turn Mountains Upside Down with their Behavior"
Armenia Records 12364 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Construction of a New Highway Connecting Artsakh to Mother Armenia will Commence
Eduard Hovhannisyan Appointed Chairman of State Revenue Committee
Reddit Cofounder Alexis Ohanian Resigns from Board, Urges Seat Be Filled by Black Candidate
Armenian, Georgian FMs Hold Phone Talks on Fight against Coronavirus
PM Pashinyan Explains the Decline of Recoveries from Coronavirus
OPEC and its Allies Led by Russia to Hold a Meeting on June 6
President Sarkissian Holds Meeting with Healthcare Minister Arsen Torosyan
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenian PM Reacts to Use of Force by Police Against Man for Not Wearing Face Mask
Greek Defence Minister: Turkey’s Behaviour is Aggressive But Our Powerful Armed Forces is a Deterrent
Armenian President Congratulates Queen Margrethe II of Denmark on National Day
Trump Proposes Increasing Police Funding
Armenia Records 11817 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Facebook Starts Labeling ‘State-Controlled Media’ Pages
33-year Old Patient Died of Coronavirus: Arsen Torosyan
Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country
Trilateral Ceasefire Agreement Signed Between NKR, Armenia and Azerbaijan: 26 Years Have Passed
Armenians Caused the Coronavirus to Plague Us: Garo Paylan Raised the Issue of Attack on Armenian Church in Turkey
The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky
David Tukhmanov, Armenian, Author of the Best Victory Day Song
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Azerbaijan Informed neither Armenia, nor International Organizations about the Military Exercises: RA Defense Ministry Spokesperson
Polish Presidential Elections Postponed Indefinitely
Murderer of Hrant Dink Ogun Samast May Be Released in Nine Months
Wind: 9 km/h