Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
“If it were not for the Armenian identity in the family I would not have had such accomplishments,” said Seerpoohi Elias, the first female Chief Justice of New Zealand.
Seerpoohi Elias, known in New Zealand as Sian Elias, was born in London, in 1949. Her father, Minas Elias was the descendant of the Armenian Genocide survivors, and her mother was from North Wales. Her parents moved to New Zealand when Seerpoohi was only one.
She earned a law degree from the University of Auckland in 1970, and continued her studies at Stanford University. She took up employment with an Auckland law firm in 1972, beginning her career as a barrister three years later where she stands out for her unique capabilities.
In 1984 Seerpoohi took up the position of Auckland Law Commissioner. She engaged in public activity and shortly after became famous as a zealous fighter against the arbitrariness of bureaucracy. In 1988 Elias was one of the two women made as the Queen’s counsels, according to Barev Today-.
In 1990 she was awarded a New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal in recognition of her services. In 1995 Elias was appointed a member of the High Court and Court of Appeal.
“Sian Elias was the first woman to become a member of the High Court of New Zealand. She is made from iron and blood, impossible to break either with word or with thought,” British journalist Luke Harding characterizes her this way.
In 1999 Elias was sworn in as New Zealand Chief Justice, being the first female in that position (before that the office was held only by men). Upon the order of Queen Elizabeth she occupied the position of Governor-General for three times, when it was vacant.
Seerpoohi had a unique role in the public life of New Zealand. One of her most famous work is the protection of rights of New Zealand’s native Maori people. Due to Seerpoohi’s efforts the Maori people enjoy equal rights in their own country, Armenia Discovery reports.
Elias is married to Hugh Fletcher, former CEO of Fletcher Challenge and a former Chancellor of the University of Auckland. They have two sons. Even though Seerpoohi currently is not involved in the activities of the Armenian organizations in New Zealand she continues to emphasize her Armenian identity.
Due to her activity she managed to form kind attitudes not only towards Armenians in New Zealand but also towards Armenia.
- Kirk Kerkorian: to be Sad in a Mercedes is Better than in a Bus It should be noted here that the Armenian nation is proud of Kerkorian not for the fact that he was a successful businessman, but because he was a worthy Armenian. Kerkorian has greatly supported in the...
- Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country The small Armenian diaspora in this exotic ancient country has always occupied an important place in all areas of state and cultural life, Dlmn.info notes.
- The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky She loved him very much and did not require more attention than he could give. She understood that she would never occupy a place in his heart equal to the painting. Aivazovsky in turn adored Anna and...
- Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin Vazgen Oganesov performed his last combat sortie during the battles for Berlin. On the eve of the Victory it was necessary to prevent the aircraft of Hitler's Reich from German besiegers headed by Hitler...
- Armenian Values and Upbringing Always Helped Me: Paul Ignatius, Former US Navy Minister It was under Ignatius’ rule that the US Navy reached a principally new level in the development of the newest destroyers and battleships of the new generation, and in 2013 the destroyers DDG-117 of the...
U.S. Urges Armenia, Azerbaijan Stop Using Force, Adhere to Ceasefire
Armenia's MFA Strongly Condemns Attempts of Azerbaijan on Targeting Population of Chinari and Aygepar Villages
Armenian Army's General Staff Received Russia's Ambassador to Armenia
Armenia's MFA Strongly Condemns Turkey's Attempts to Instigate Instability in Our Region
PM: Armenia’s Armed Forces Keep the Situation Under Full Control: no Provocative Action Goes Unanswered
OSCE MG Co-Chairs Condemn Ceasefire Violations
Statement by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh
Azerbaijani Side Fired Three Projectiles from a 120 mm Caliber Mortar in the Direction of Armenia's Chinar Settlement
Lives of 3 Armenian Soldiers, 2 Police Officers Wounded by Azerbaijani Shooting not Under Danger
Russian FM Calls Yerevan and Baku for Immediate Ceasefire
CSTO Special Session Postponed for Indefinite Period
Phone Conversation of Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan with Sergey Lavrov, the Foreign Minister of Russia
Russian MFA Expresses Concern Over Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border
Armenian Ombudsman’s Office Sends Interim Report on Tavush Shelling to International Structures
Toivo Klaar Expresses Concern on "Exchange of Fire on Armenia-Azerbaijan Border"
Minister of Healthcare: In Armenia 650 Patients in Serious or Critical Condition
Armenia Extends State of Emergency
Operative Situation on Artsakh and Azerbaijani Armed Forces' Line of Contact Was Mostly Calm at Night
Two Armenian Police Officers Slightly Injured in Azerbaijani Shooting
Wizz Air Abu Dhabi will Start Operating Flights on the Route Abu Dhabi –Yerevan- Abu Dhabi
Ancient Armenian Church Surfaces from under Lake Van
Anouch Toraninan Elected Head of 15th Arrondissement of Paris
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
Armenian Woman is Elected Mayor of France’s Strasbourg
The Authorities of the Republic of Artsakh Confirm Their Determination to Seek the Restoration of the Territorial Integrity of the Republic: Artsakh MFA
Armenia PM: Constitutional Court President will be Dismissed, Powers of CC Members will Terminate in a Few Hours
Kim Kardashian Calls on Her Millions of Followers to Support Small Businesses in Armenia
Wind: 5 km/h