Turkey Deploying Syrian Fighters to Help Ally Azerbaijan, two Fighters Say
Turkey is sending Syrian rebel fighters to support Azerbaijan in its escalating conflict with neighbouring Armenia, two Syrian rebels have said, as Ankara pledges to step up backing for its majority-Muslim ally, Reuters reports.
The clashes over the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh are the heaviest since 2016, with reports of dozens of deaths and hundreds wounded.
Armenia’s ambassador to Moscow said on Monday that Turkey had sent around 4,000 fighters from northern Syria to Azerbaijan and that they were fighting there, an assertion denied by an aide to Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
Armenia also said Turkish military experts were fighting alongside Azerbaijan in Nagorno-Karabakh, a mountainous breakaway region of Azerbaijan run by ethnic Armenians, and that Turkey had provided drones and warplanes.
Azerbaijan denied the reports. Turkey did not immediately comment, although senior officials including President Tayyip Erdogan, who has increasingly been flexing Turkey’s military muscle abroad, have promised support for Baku.
The two fighters, from Turkish-backed rebel groups in areas of northern Syria under Turkish control, said they were deploying to Azerbaijan in coordination with Ankara.
They declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue. Reuters could not independently verify their accounts.
“I didn’t want to go, but I don’t have any money. Life is very hard and poor,” said a fighter who had fought in Syria for Ahrar al-Sham, a group that Turkey has supported.
- EU Urges Turkey to Stop Offering Russia Solutions to Circumvent Sanctions Speaking about the EU's engagement with Turkey, an important neighbor, EU partner and candidate country for EU membership, we stress the importance of ensuring that Turkey's foreign policy is aligned with...
- Any Change of Internationally Recognized Borders in Region is Unacceptable – Iranian President to Erdogan "The basis of our policy in the region is that the fates of the countries must be determined by themselves and that their national sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected" Raisi told Erdogan...
- Azerbaijan, Turkey FMs Discuss Regional Situation During the phone talk, the two FMs exchanged opinions on the current regional situation and the agenda of bilateral cooperation.
- Erdogan, Biden Might Meet in September- Media Turkey plans to buy 40 F-16 fighter jets from the US and upgrade another eighty. US President Joe Biden stated that he expects to receive the approval of the [US] Congress to sell F-16 fighter jets to...
- Azerbaijani FM Informed Turkish FM About the Attack On the Azerbaijani Embassy In London During the telephone conversation, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkiye expressed concern about the attack of a gang of radical religious groups on the building of the Embassy of the Republic of...
Zelensky says ready for dialogue with Russia, but not with Putin
EU Condemns Russian Annexation, will Never Accept "Illegal" Referendums
Catholicos Garegin II Prepares New Meeting with Former Presidents of Armenia and Artsakh
No need to look for any hint or hidden subtext: Defense Ministry spox clarifies remarks of Deputy Chief of General Staff
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Foreign Minister of Artsakh met with Representatives of the Armenian National Committee of America-Western Region
Foreign Minister of the Republic of Artsakh Met with California State Senator Anthony J. Portantino and California Assembly member Adrin Nazarian
Lavrov: Deploying CSTO observation mission in Karabakh being discussed
Foreign Minister David Babayan's Visit to Holy Martyrs Ferrahian High School in Los Angeles
Armenia’s Security Council Secretary holds meetings at CIA headquarters
There is no talk of any “extraterritorial corridor” in negotiations of trilateral working group and cannot be - Overchuk
Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs to meet in Geneva
Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border Remains Unchanged
Putin signs decrees to recognize independence of Zaporozhye, Kherson regions
West attempts to stir conflict among CIS countries: Putin
Erdogan and Pashinyan may meet soon: Rubinyan
Russia continues vigorous efforts to de-escalate the situation on the Armenian-Azerbaijani border
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Azerbaijan captured several military outposts in direction of Vardenis
Foreign ambassadors visit Kut village to witness aftermath of Azerbaijani bombardments
Azerbaijan Returns Five POWs to Armenian Side
Alen Simonyan’s Congratulations to Artur Tovmasyan on Artsakh Independence Day
Azeri Propaganda Spreads Fake Videos, Old Gootage From 2020 War
Ukrainian General Estimates Kiev’s Losses at Hundreds of Thousands since Feb
Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary General António Guterres
Latest Events on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border Have Nothing to Do with Karabakh: Putin
We Call on Azerbaijan to Return the Troops to their Initial Positions: US Embassy to Armenia
Pashinyan Presents the Consequences of Azerbaijan's Aggression to the President of Slovenia
Reports on Evacuations in Tavush Border Towns Are Fake News: Governor’s Office
Trump Warns US 'Is Going to Hell' and Needs Strong Leadership
Wind: 0.51 km/h