Minister of Foreign Affairs of Artsakh Sent Letters to International Structures in Connection with Armenian Prisoners of War and Civilians Detained by Azerbaijan
On January 19, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh David Babayan sent letters to specialized bodies within United Nations and Council of Europe as well as to the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group and Personal Representative of the Chairperson in Office in connection with the situation with the Armenian prisoners of war and civilians illegally held in detention by Azerbaijan.
The letters in particular state, that in violation of the trilateral statement on complete ceasefire and cessation of all hostilities, signed by the leaders of Armenia, the Russian Federation and Azerbaijan on November 9, 2020 in December of the same year Azerbaijan launched an attack and occupied the villages of Khtsaberd and Hin Tagher in the Hadrut Region of the Republic of Artsakh. As a result of these offensive actions, 64 servicemen of the Defence army of the Republic of Artsakh were captured by the Azerbaijani forces. Later, the Azerbaijani authorities have announced their intention to prosecute them, which is a violation of international humanitarian law.
It is underscored, that international humanitarian law, and Geneva Conventions, in particular, continue to apply after the signing of the Statement on secession of hostilities, hence the captured servicemen are Prisoners of War according to the Article 4 of the Geneva Convention III Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War and shall be repatriated after the secession of hostilities. Prosecution of the Prisoners of War by Azerbaijan for the mere fact that they participated in hostilities is a grave breach to the Third Geneva Convention.
It is emphasized that Azerbaijan also delays the repatriation of the rest of the prisoners of war and civilians who fell into Azerbaijan’s hands during and after the armed aggression launched against the Republic of Artsakh on 27 September, 2020.
The letters underscore that this position of Azerbaijan contradicts its own commitments to fully implement the trilateral Statement, both in letter and in spirit, which would help heal the wounds of the bloody conflict.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh invites to undertake urgent measures to ensure Azerbaijan’s implementation of the Geneva Conventions and to require official Baku to fulfill its obligations to guarantee all of the rights afforded to both prisoners of war and civilians, being kept in detention by Azerbaijan.
- Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh Indeed, Azerbaijan is detaining such persons for the very purpose of leverage to promote its position in the ongoing implementation of its strategic objectives against the Republic of Artsakh and the Republic...
- Nikol Pashinyan And Vladimir Putin Held a Telephone Conversation Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan held a telephone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- The Video Conference of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs In this context, Minister Aivazian reiterated the commitment of the Armenian side to continue the efforts for a peaceful settlement under the auspices of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairmanship, as the only...
- 106 Bodies Azerbaijan Handed over to Armenian Side Believed to be Buried and Exhumed Before Transfer The total number of bodies found in the course of search work and transferred by Azerbaijan was 1,485.
- OSCE MG Co-Chairs Hold Video-Conference with Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs The Co-Chairs engaged with each minister in a lengthy and substantive exchange of The Co-Chairs spoke separately by video conference with Armenian Foreign Minister Ara Aivazian and Azerbaijani Foreign...
Serzh Sargsyan Paid Tribute in Memory of Vazgen Sargsyan in Yerablur
The Vatican Emphasizes Russia’s Role in Karabakh Conflict Settlement Process
Iran’s IRGC Foils Hijack Attempt on Ahvaz-Mashhad Flight
On Behalf of the President of the Republic, Flowers were Laid on Vazgen Sargsyan's Grave and at the Monument Perpetuating His Memory
Armenia’s Ombudsman Voices Need of Creating Demilitarized Security Zone in Syunik
Pope Francis Begins His Historic Visit to Iraq
Israel will Defend Itself if world Fails to Stall Iran’s Nuclear Plans: Benny Gantz
Economic Freedom in Armenia Has Hovered Between Moderately Free and Mostly Free for Many Years- Heritage
Ara Saghatelyan Released from Custody
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Turkey Excluded from EAEU Tariff Preferences System
Azerbaijan Distorts the Provisions of the UN Security Council Resolutions- Armenian MFA
Four New Cases of Coronavirus Reported in Artsakh
Bodies of Two Killed Armenian Servicemen Handed over from Martakert Assembly Point
Armenia Opposition Movement to Hold Rally on Saturday
Armenia Records 173749 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Armenia Ex-Defense Minister: Today We Face Different Reality
Republic of Armenia Ombudsman Raises Issue of Immediate Return of Prisoners Held in Azerbaijan for Special Discussion in German Bundestag
About 25 Aftershocks Recorded after Powerful Earthquake in Pacific Ocean
Zakharova Reiterates ''All for All'' Principle as Optimal Solution for POWs Issue
A Wider Alliance Should Be Formed to Oppose Erdogan's Aggressive Policy
Armenia National Flag is Blessed in Iraq’s Erbil (PHOTOS)
4 More Bodies of Fallen Servicemen Found During Search Operations, Artsakh Authorities Say
Artsakh: Search Օperation not to Be Conducted Today Due to Weather Conditions
3,577 Bodies Passed Forensic Examination, DNA Analysis of Other 428 in Process
US Troop Withdrawal from Germany ‘Put on Freeze’
Garegin Nzhdeh Statue not Demolished in Martuni Town of Artsakh
Turkish State Channel Showed a Map of Expanding Influence on Armenia, Georgia and a Number of Territories of Russia
Search Operations for War Casualties in Areas Beyond Artsakh’s Control Suspended Indefinitely
Joe Biden Has First Conversation with Xi Jinping as US President
Wind: 7 km/h