Hair Dryer was Invented in the 19th Century (from the Series "Inventions of the Armenians")
Today, almost nobody can imagine life without a hair dryer. But few believe that the hair dryer was invented by the late 19th century. In fact, the original model of the dryer was invented in 1890, by Alexander Godefroy, based on the idea of a vacuum cleaner, which inspired the creator. Alexander invented the hair dryer to use it in his salon in France, but the device was not portable, and women had to sit under it, drying their hair. Hot air blew through tiny holes from inside the device, which allowed the hair to dry evenly.
However, the world's first hair dryer was patented by the American inventor of Armenian origin, Gabriel Kazanjian, in America, in 1911. By 1915, the market began to spread hair dryers, which were already portable.
Even in the 1920s, most of the new dryers were heavy, weighing about 2 pounds (0.91 kg), and they were difficult to use. There were also many cases of overheating or electric shock. It was also possible to use hair dryers only with the power up to 100 W, that’s why hair drying took much longer (the average power of a hair dryer today can be up to 2,000 watts of heat).
Since 1920 the improvement of the dryer has been mainly aimed at enhancing its capacity and the external components, as well as the materials from which the hair dryer is produced. But the patent for the world’s first dryer however remained after an Armenian Gabriel Kazanjian.
- Alenush Teryan: Iran’s First Female Astronomer and Founder of First Solar Observatory “My daughter’s name is sun, my son’s name is moon”, would say Iran’s first astronomer and founder of the first solar observatory Alenush Teryan.
- Armenian Hakob Martayan - the Founder of the Modern Turkish Language When Kemal Ataturk decided to implement a reform of the Turkish language and translate the Ottoman-Turkish language (Osmanli) from Arabian into the Latin alphabet, he requested Hakob Martayan to do the...
- Asatour Sarafian, the Inventor of Automatic Transmission For Automobiles Asatour Sarafian, was an Armenian American inventor who patented a number of works, including an automatic transmission for automobiles, the needleless inoculation gun, the primary controls of the first...
- Alexander Leonovich Kemurdzhian, Designer of the First Planet Rover The mission of Kemurdzhian’s life was the design of space technology and participation in the design of the world's first automatic self-propelled apparatus for research on the lunar surface.
- Armenian Anita Caracotchian: The First Female Oceanographer in the World “A part of my people lived at the sea for 300 years, we had glorious Cilicia, that harbored more than one thousand Armenian ships having tight commercial ties with the most powerful countries. After...
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 0 km/h