The "Father" of Automatic Transmissions for Cars is Armenian! (from the Series "Inventions of the Armenians")
Today, in the series "Inventions of the Armenians" we want to tell about the American inventor of Armenian descent, whose patented designs are used everywhere in the modern world - Oscar Banker. Among his works, the most famous and widely used one is an automatic transmission for a vehicle. When "General Motors" began to put in cars semi-automatic transmission mechanisms, they had many drawbacks. Oscar Banker offered an automatic transmission, which was much more reliable and durable. He was trying to defend his invention for about eight years, was fighting with car designing companies, but finally, his offer was accepted and "General Motors" immediately began to equip its cars with automatic gear boxes.
It is noteworthy to mention the contribution of Banker in aviation mechanics. The scientist was working on the control system of Sikorsky’s first helicopter, which took off in 1939. The shared inventions of Sikorski and Banker eventually led to the mass production of helicopters during the Second World War.
Banker’s real name was Asatur Sarafian. He was born in 1895 in the Ottoman Empire - difficult times for the Armenian families. Fortunately, the family managed to survive the slaughter, a massacre of Armenians organized by the Ottoman Empire in 1894-1896. Small Asatur was ill, and no one expected him to survive, because his mother had gone mad during the massacre and could not take care of the child.
In his youth Asatur managed to leave the Ottoman Empire, to move overseas and settle in Chicago. He changed his name to Oscar Banker and tried to find a place in the workshop, working on the equipments. Oscar Banker died in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1979, at the age of 83.
In 1983 Banker published a memoir titled "Dreams and Wars of an American Inventor: An Immigrant’s Romance".
It should be noted that Oscar Banker, or Asatur Sarafian is:
- one of the most prolific inventors of America and a pioneer of consumer protection;
- the author of such inventions as the automatic transmission, fuel pump and engine oil gauge;
- he also invented the motor gear box for the Sikorsky helicopter and the first universal "needleless" - a gun for vaccination;
- invented a color printer, which has been considered by the US government as the most valuable invention of Banker.
- Alenush Teryan: Iran’s First Female Astronomer and Founder of First Solar Observatory “My daughter’s name is sun, my son’s name is moon”, would say Iran’s first astronomer and founder of the first solar observatory Alenush Teryan.
- Armenian Hakob Martayan - the Founder of the Modern Turkish Language When Kemal Ataturk decided to implement a reform of the Turkish language and translate the Ottoman-Turkish language (Osmanli) from Arabian into the Latin alphabet, he requested Hakob Martayan to do the...
- Asatour Sarafian, the Inventor of Automatic Transmission For Automobiles Asatour Sarafian, was an Armenian American inventor who patented a number of works, including an automatic transmission for automobiles, the needleless inoculation gun, the primary controls of the first...
- Alexander Leonovich Kemurdzhian, Designer of the First Planet Rover The mission of Kemurdzhian’s life was the design of space technology and participation in the design of the world's first automatic self-propelled apparatus for research on the lunar surface.
- Armenian Anita Caracotchian: The First Female Oceanographer in the World “A part of my people lived at the sea for 300 years, we had glorious Cilicia, that harbored more than one thousand Armenian ships having tight commercial ties with the most powerful countries. After...
Pope Francis vows to visit both Kiev and Moscow, if he travels
Two soldiers wounded as Azerbaijan violates ceasefire: Artsakh MoD
Azerbaijan hands over bodies of 13 soldiers to Armenia
Arayik Harutyunyan convened a working consultation
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
Armenian Defense Minister chairs consultation
Prime Minister Pashinyan sends congratulatory message to the Prime Minister of Albania
Strong political will needed by Azerbaijan and Armenia to achieve comprehensive settlement: EU
All participants are seeking to achieve peace in the region, the signing of a peace treaty, legal registration of existing borders, unblocking of transport connections: Zas
Ilham Aliyev received U.S. State Department's Senior Advisor for Caucasus Negotiations
Russia, U.S. have ways to manage nuclear risks - RIA cites U.S. diplomat
Armenian President congratulates Albanian counterpart on Independence Day
UK military aid to Ukraine may increase in 2023
Artsakh forces deny shoiting at Azerbaijani positions
Azerbaijani troops open fire at Armenian positions
There are difficult to pass and closed roadways in Armenia
PM Pashinyan, together with his wife, attends the charity concert in support of the soldiers being treated at the Soldier's Home
Stanislav Zas: CSTO proposed several measures to help Armenia
The Ministry of Defence of Azerbaijan has spread disinformation
Attempts to disintegrate CSTO will continue, Kremlin spokesman warns
The Prime Minister leaves for Tunisia on a working visit
Azerbaijan's attempts to abolish the status of Artsakh as a party to the conflict is unacceptable: Artsakh MFA
Putin to attend CSTO summit in Armenia next week, Kremlin confirms
Putin and Erdogan discuss details of creating a gas hub in Turkey: Kremlin
Azerbaijan’s defense ministry spreads another misinformation: MoD Armenia
Nikol Pashinyan and Charles Michel meet in Djerba
Russia bars entry to 200 US citizens: Russian Foreign Ministry
Armenian Security Council Secretary and Indian PM's Advisor discuss security cooperation
Azerbaijan carries out tactical maneuvers
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Wind: 0 km/h