U.S. slams Erdogan’s attacks against media, Armenians
US State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf denounced President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s attacks against Western media outlets, but brushed aside criticism that Turkey was an unreliable ally despite the growing rift between the two countries.
Asked about President Erdogan’s accusing the New York Times, CNN and BBC of trying to weaken and divide Turkey, and later expanding on it with a claim that journalists, Armenians and homosexuals were “allies in sedition,” Senior Advisor for Strategic Communications at the US State Department Marie Harf told a daily briefing that the US supports freedom of expression, and remains concerned about government interference in freedom of expression in Turkey, “We’ve said that for a long time and we remain concerned.”
“An independent and unfettered media is an essential element of any democratic and open society,” said Harf. “As Turkey’s friend and as their NATO ally, we urge the Turkish authorities to ensure their actions uphold democratic values, including due process, judicial independence, and freedom of expression, including access to media and information.”
When asked if she would “denounce or decry or criticize” Erdogan for his criticism of homosexuals, Armenians and journalists, she responded “Absolutely.”
- Turkey to Renovate the Largest Armenian Church in the Middle East Surp Giragos and Mar Petyun Chaldean Churches had been awaiting restoration by the community foundations, which were unable to carry out the task due to insufficient funds.
- Mevlut Chavushoghlu: With Karabakh Conflict Unresolved, Normalization of Ties with Armenia Impossible Turkey rules out rapprochement with Armenia without final peace over Artsakh
- Armenia is Ready to Regulate Armenian-Turkish Relations without Pre-Conditions: Nikol Pashinyan Armenia is ready for negotiations for the regulation of relations but not through coercion and threats or by blockade, Pashinyan said.
- Armen Sarkissian's Message to Erdoghan: “Forgiveness comes after recognition” Swiss Public TV – RTS – has released excerpts from the interview with Armenian President Armen Sarkissian.
- Armenia Is Coming Out from the Zurich Process with an Important Achievement The Turkish side, which at the time adopted the thesis of regulating all the problems with the neighbors, could not essentially reject the Armenian side's proposal, as a result of which the Zurich Protocols...
Andrea Bocelli To Stream Live Concert At Duomo di Milano On Easter Sunday
Nikol Pashinyan: “We Need to Minimize Overhead Costs and Funnel the Released Funds to Other Projects”
Armenian, Russian FMs Discuss Steps over Prevention of Spread of Coronavirus
April 2016 Parliament Inquiry Committee Has Provided Vague Answers: Office of Armenia's 3rd President
290,000 Armenian Citizens And 5300 Companies Granted Loan Repayment Holidays
Armenia Deputy PM, Commandant Releases Video Message
Iran Presses for IMF Loan
Natural Reduction in US Oil Production Cannot be Counted as OPEC+ Cut, Says Kremlin
Euractvi: Eurogroup Fails to Progress on Economic Response to Pandemic
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Russia, Turkey Conduct Third Joint Patrol in Idlib
Hakob Chagharyan Relieved from Position of Advisor to PM
Armenia: Mobile Laboratories Brought from Russia to Allow Making 100 Tests Daily (video)
Progress in Loan-Supported Agricultural Programs Discussed in Government
28 New Coronavirus Cases And 1 Death In Armenia
US Records Highest Coronavirus Death Toll in Single Day: BBC
Trump Threatens to Hold WHO Funding: Time
Second Round of Artsakh Presidential Elections Set for April 14
Russian Military Specialists Deliver Mobile Laboratories and Test-Systems to Armenia to Fight against Coronavirus
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Catholicos Aram I Held Phone Talk with Noubar Afeyan over Coronavirus Vaccine
Statement of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the military incident at the Armenian-Azerbaijani border
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Baku’s Refusal of the Illusions of Restoring Its ''Territorial Integrity'' Will Help to Proceed with the Peace Process: Artsakh MFA
Artsakh President Chaired an Enlarged Meeting of the Interdepartmental Commission Coordinating the Prevention of the Spread of the Novel Coronavirus
Wind: 6 km/h