Azerbaijan Again Busy with Its Favorite Job
Azerbaijani civil activist Yalcin Gahramanoghlun, who has been living in Kiev for several years and is the local representative of the National Council of Democratic Forces of Azerbaijan, was arrested in Baku airport. As contact.az reports, the reasons for the arrest are not reported.
Azerbaijani authorities have recently resumed arrests of civil activists and dissidents: So, recently Azerbaijani authorities arrested Samir Hasanov, head of the youth wing of the regional branch of the opposition party National Front in Sheki. Earlier young activist of movement NIDA Amid Mukhtarov and photographer Elnur Suleymanov were sentenced to administrative detention. As in previous cases nothing is reported about the reasons for their arrest.
Last week Azerbaijani authorities released the country's number one political prisoner, journalist Khadija Ismayelovayin, whose arrest caused large international response. This aroused some hopes among both Azerbaijani people and the international community, that the country will return to the democratic path. In this context, the recent arrests of civil society activists can be viewed as a signal to the internal community that the recent demonstrations of good will were staged solely for the West, who was regularly putting pressure on the Azerbaijani authorities because of political prisoners.
Now Baku is making its people understand that there can't be any illusions about freedom of speech and other democratic values, and arbitrary arrests and prosecutions are a proven and an effective way to do it and make human rights defenders, journalists and political opponents silent.
Azerbaijani authorities only forget that as a result of such policy of intimidation and arrests the country has become the "favorite" of the international human rights organizations.
- Magnifier: Baku’s Imitation of Democracy And Peace-loving The program “Magnifier” dealt with issues related to human rights, recent amnesty and peace preparation in Azerbaijan.
- European Court Announces Two New Decisions against Azerbaijan The Strasbourg Court decided that each applicant should be paid an award of EUR 7,500 and another EUR 2,500 to reimburse the court expenses.
- ECHR Rejects Azerbaijan’s Appeal: What Is Next? The following measures will be either to suspend Azerbaijan’s voting rights and to expel Azerbaijan from the organisation.
- Composer of "The Promise" Movie Song Got Human Rights Watch Award The inaugural honor was given to the late legendary singer and songwriter Chris Cornell in recognition of his song, The Promise. The award was presented at The Voices for Justice Human Rights Watch Annual...
- UNESCO: 930 Journalists Have Been Killed in Last 11 Years In 2016 alone, the UNESCO Director-General condemned the killing of 102 journalists, media workers, and social media producers of public interest journalism. In 2012, the deadliest year for journalists,...
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 0.51 km/h