The ECHR Satisfied the Claim of Leyla and Arif Yunus against Azerbaijan
The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) today announced the judgment concerning the human rights defenders and civil society activists of Yunusova and Yunusov vs. Azerbaijan, the Registrar of the Court reports in an issued press release.
According to Chamber’s judgment, there had been a violation of Article 34 (right of individual petition) of the European Convention on Human Rights and a violation of Article 3 (prohibition of inhuman or degrading treatment) of the European Convention.
The case concerned the allegation by Mr Yunusov and Ms Yunusova, husband and wife that, their medical care in detention had been inadequate.
To remind, On 13 August 2015, Baku Court of Grave Crimes brought in a verdict against the Azerbaijani human rights defenders Leyla and Arif Yunusov, sentencing them to 8.5 years and 7 years’ imprisonment respectively finding guilty of swindle, tax evasion and abuses.
In today’s decision the Court found that, despite monthly information reports having been provided about the couple’s health and medical examinations following the issuing of that interim measure, the Azerbaijani Government had failed to submit medical evidence – such as medical prescriptions or doctors’ recommendations – to back up their claim that the couple’s health had been stable and had not required a transfer to a medical facility.
The ECHR also ruled that the Government of Azerbaijan does not respect its obligations under Article 34 (individual applications) of the European Convention.
Moreover, drawing inferences from the Government’s failure to provide full information on the medical treatment provided to the couple, the Court concluded that they had not been provided with adequate medical treatment in detention. As a result of that inadequate medical treatment, the couple had been exposed to prolonged mental and physical suffering, amounting to inhuman and degrading treatment.
The Court held that Azerbaijan was to pay 13,000 euros (EUR) in respect of non-pecuniary damage to each applicant and EUR 4,000, for costs and expenses to both applicants, jointly.
- Magnifier: Baku’s Imitation of Democracy And Peace-loving The program “Magnifier” dealt with issues related to human rights, recent amnesty and peace preparation in Azerbaijan.
- European Court Announces Two New Decisions against Azerbaijan The Strasbourg Court decided that each applicant should be paid an award of EUR 7,500 and another EUR 2,500 to reimburse the court expenses.
- ECHR Rejects Azerbaijan’s Appeal: What Is Next? The following measures will be either to suspend Azerbaijan’s voting rights and to expel Azerbaijan from the organisation.
- Composer of "The Promise" Movie Song Got Human Rights Watch Award The inaugural honor was given to the late legendary singer and songwriter Chris Cornell in recognition of his song, The Promise. The award was presented at The Voices for Justice Human Rights Watch Annual...
- UNESCO: 930 Journalists Have Been Killed in Last 11 Years In 2016 alone, the UNESCO Director-General condemned the killing of 102 journalists, media workers, and social media producers of public interest journalism. In 2012, the deadliest year for journalists,...
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 0.51 km/h