Catalonia to Hold Independence Referendum in 2017
Catalonia’s parliament voted on Thursday in favour of holding a referendum on independence in September 2017 – posing a new headache for Spain’s central government, which has consistently rejected the idea, Euronews reports.
One of Spain's richest regions, Catalonia has repeatedly fought Madrid over its right to secede. Regional president Puigdemont has vowed to proceed with the referendum even without Spain's blessing, DW reports.
According to recent polls, around 48 percent of Catalans supports secession, though that number is down a few percentage points from a few years ago.
- Catalan Independence Protesters Block Major Spain-France Road Link Catalonia has been rocked by mass protests since long prison sentences were handed down in mid-October to nine separatist leaders who spearheaded a failed independence bid in 2017.
- Barcelona Rocked by Violence as Catalan Protesters Clash with Police The general strike that brought the Catalan capital to a standstill drew over half a million people, according to police estimates, and was largely peaceful for most of the day.
- Catalan New President Did Not Mention of Obeying the Spanish Constitution Torra, a hardline Catalan nationalist handpicked by the region’s deposed president, Carles Puigdemont, was elected by 66 votes to 65 on Monday and assumed office at a low-key ceremony in Barcelona on...
- Puigdemont Refuses to be Catalonia's President In a video from his self-imposed exile in Berlin, Mr Puigdemont named Quim Torra to be a candidate for the presidency of the region.
- Clashes in Catalonia over Puigdemont's Arrest The situation in Barcelona escalated in the evening as protesters fought running battles with riot police. Local authorities reported dozens of injuries and many arrests.
Mexico Grants Asylum to Bolivia's Evo Morales
Former US President Jimmy Carter Hospitalized
Nikol Pashinyan Arrives at Élysée Palace
Armenian PM Pashinyan Arrives in Paris
Russia Ready to Use its Opportunities for Regulating Armenian-Turkish Relations: Lavrov
Ghana Withdraws Kosovo’s Recognition
People's Choice Awards: 'Avengers: Endgame' Named Best Movie
Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria
U.S. Calls on Iraq to Hold Early Elections
PM Welcomes Russian FM: Bilateral Relations Discussed
No Agreements Can Be Reached without Nagorno-Karabakh’s Consent, Says Lavrov
Catalan Independence Protesters Block Major Spain-France Road Link
Western Sanctions on Syria Only Hurt the People in Order to Push Regime Change Agenda – Assad to RT
Turkey Begins Deportation Of Captive Foreign Islamic State Terrorists To Their Home Countries
Nikol Pashinyan Says Political Changes in His Country Gave New Impetus to Ties with Russia
Armen Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to the President of Angola
Italy to Become First Country to Make Learning About Climate Change Compulsory for School Students
The Editor-in-Chief of the RT Television Network Proposes to President-Elect Bolivia
Hong Kong Protester Shot in Street Confrontation with Police
Nikol Pashinyan to Pay Working Visit to France
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Erdogan Demands US Hand Over SDF Chief to Turkey
We Will Never Forget that 1.5 Million Armenians Were Murdered: Kim Kardashian
Lori is a Splendid Textbook for Learning About our Native Land, While Vanadzor is One of its Most Significant and Beautiful Pages. Armen Sarkissian
Turkish Foreign Minister Hold Talks with U.S.'s Pompeo: Sources
Wind: 3 km/h