GOP Chairman Warns of ISIS's ‘Cyber Caliphate’
Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) joined a number of lawmakers on Wednesday raising alarm over the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria's (ISIS) success in leveraging digital platforms to recruit and spread terrorist propaganda, The Hill reports.
“It is good that we by and large have taken away the physical caliphate,” Johnson, the chair of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said during remarks at a hearing on evolving terror threats, “But we have in no way, shape or form denied them the cyber caliphate. That may be a more persistent, long-term threat.”
The U.S.-led coalition battling ISIS has made notable gains in recent months, liberating large swaths of territory in Iraq and Syria from the group’s fighters.
Still, lawmakers and officials remain focused on the group’s efforts to recruit would-be fighters and spread terrorist messaging using social media and other digital platforms, in addition to inspiring future attacks.
- Pompeo: US "Will Continue to Lead" Fight Against Islamic State "The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.
- Turkish Police Detain 7 Over ISIS Links One suspect is believed to be responsible for ISIS training camps that train some 2000 foreign militants per year, the daily said citing a statement by Turkey's interior ministry.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
State Flags of Armenia and Russia Waving on the Border Symbolize our Friendly Relations
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenia FM: January 2020 Meeting in Geneva Was Complementing our Work
Moscow-Yerevan Chartered Flight to be Operated on July 8
Italian Composer Ennio Morricone Dies at 91
The Quarantine Measures Will Be Tightened: Artsakh Republic President Gave New Instructions at the Sitting of the Commandant Office
Coronavirus Infected Residents of Yerevan’s Nork Nursing Home Recover
Saudis Raise Oil Pricing to U.S., Asia
Iraqi Military Dismisses Reports of Rocket Attack near Baghdad Airport
Iran Nuclear: Natanz Fire Caused 'Significant' Damage
Israel Strikes Gaza Targets After Rocket Fire
Armenia Records 28936 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message to Nursultan Nazarbayev on his 80th Birth Anniversary
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Iran Files Lawsuit in ICJ against US
Kanye West Announces He's Running for President
Armenia Records 28606 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Constitution is Not Only the Right and Responsibility But Also a Mindset, a Work Culture, a System of Values, and Morality: Armen Sarkissian
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Jean Castex on his Appointment to the Post of Prime Minister of the French Republic
Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh Masis Mayilian Held a Meeting With Minister of Foreign Affairs of Armenia Zohrab Mnatsakanyan
Karen Bekaryan: Nikol Pashinyan Has Forgotten that His Mission Is to Represent and Advocate the Interests of His Country
''Nasty Armenian'': Turkish Singer Sued for Insulting Armenians in a Post Addressed to Kim Kardashian
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Ancient Armenian Church Surfaces from under Lake Van
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
ANCA Calls for Robust US Funding for Artsakh
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
Armenia PM: Constitutional Court President will be Dismissed, Powers of CC Members will Terminate in a Few Hours
Statement by the Foreign Ministry of the Republic of Artsakh on the Occasion of the 28th Anniversary of the Occupation of the Shahumian Region
Wind: 14 km/h